Indiana Jones Coaster - DLP

NickMaio

Original Poster

Why this was not done inside makes little sense - - - - I know the money, but come on.
Such a crummy ride at a DL park. Especially tied to the Indiana Jones franchise.
And what ..... no lava beneath you.

It is kind of good to know that other parks around the world get crummy rides also.........lookin at you Figment and Dino Spin!

Heppenheimer

Why this was not done inside makes little sense - - - - I know the money, but come on.
Such a crummy ride at a DL park. Especially tied to the Indiana Jones franchise.
And what ..... no lava beneath you.

It is kind of good to know that other parks around the world get crummy rides also.........lookin at you Figment and Dino Spin!

Disneyland Paris isn't consistently profitable year-to-year, so a lesser attraction there wouldn't surprise me.

And the original problems at Eurodisneyland caused a cash crunch that was probably part of what doomed the refurbs of the Imagination pavilion.

orlando678-

Honestly the ride isnt so bad, its a bit shaky, but the theming is fine and thrilling enougj to be fun. Besides, it often has long wait times. Raging spirits at Tokyo DisneySea is slightly better but actually very similar to this ride. Personally i think its pretty enjoyable and adds another unique ride to the park. An expansion or refurb would be great though.

NickMaio

Original Poster
Are there any direct ties to Indiana? I don't see anything or hear anything?
I don't really get the connection either?

orlando678-

Are there any direct ties to Indiana? I don't see anything or hear anything?
I don't really get the connection either?
There are some references in the queue as well as the similar style of the temple construction when we look at Indiana Jones Adventure.

AndyS2992

The ride was put in as a temporary fix to boost capacity in the early years and given how much debt they were in they obviously couldn't spend too much on it. Yeah it's not Disney's finest and it's a bit rickety but I like it. I would have the Indiana Jones theme play on the attraction but it's okay. I hear they are putting in the Disneyland CA Indy ride in next to it to create a mini Indy land so there's that. I always hear people moan about this ride but have never heard anyone complain about it's clone at Tokyo DisneySea despite Paris's version having way more of a theme going on. Why is that? :rolleyes:

peep

I always hear people moan about this ride but have never heard anyone complain about it's clone at Tokyo DisneySea despite Paris's version having way more of a theme going on. Why is that?

The Tokyo version is quite immersive with its theming with some great fire/smoke and steam effects. However I don't think that's enough to differenciate it considering the completely different fan reactions. I think a lot of people just love to hate on stuff in Paris.

There's also a few Indy references in the queueline and the theme does play - if a bit subtle. I know at one point in the planning stages they were thinking of building two tracks next to each other but I think that would have been a bit weird. Oh and from the train you can see the massive area allocated for the Indy dark ride that was originally planned for the park. With those rumours re-surfacing maybe we'll get to see that soon!

I personally love the ride, sure the layout is basic but it provides a decent amount of thrill and the theming is great.

Animaniac93-98

The ride was put in as a temporary fix to boost capacity in the early years and given how much debt they were in they obviously couldn't spend too much on it. Yeah it's not Disney's finest and it's a bit rickety but I like it. I would have the Indiana Jones theme play on the attraction but it's okay. I hear they are putting in the Disneyland CA Indy ride in next to it to create a mini Indy land so there's that. I always hear people moan about this ride but have never heard anyone complain about it's clone at Tokyo DisneySea despite Paris's version having way more of a theme going on. Why is that? :rolleyes:

I skipped this when I was at DisneySea. After seeing this video I'm glad I did. It had like a 2 hour standby wait, though single rider was available. Like Toy Story Mania it's not worth it if you've been on the other version.

It's one of only 2 coasters in DisneySea (the other being the kiddie Flounder thing) and the only one at Tokyo Disney Resort that goes upside down so maybe that's why it's special?

Animaniac93-98

DLP actually has a better selection of coasters than TDR as strange as it sounds:

Tokyo Disney Resort

Big Thunder Mountain
Space Mountain
Gadget's Go Coaster
Raging Spirits
Flounder's Flying Fish Coaster

Disneyland Paris

Big Thunder Mountain
Space Mountain
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril
Casey Jr, the Little Circus Train
Crush Coaster
Rock 'n Roller Coaster (soon to become Iron Man)

SM and BTMRR are arguably better in Paris. TDR is an incredible experience, but it's not much for coaster lovers.

mccgavin

Casey Jr, the Little Circus Train

Robbiem

It's a power coaster by design/build according to Imagineer Tom Morris.

It's not especially thrilling, but neither are the two kiddie coasters in Tokyo.

If you take it for what it is it is actually a fun little ride and an interesting rework of a classic Disneyland original. I think it was also they rollercoaster with a synchronised soundtrack so,it was kind of a stepping stone to space mountain in Paris

Absimilliard

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril at Disneyland Paris was a stop gap measure for extra capacity. When the park opened, there was only one roller coaster, Big Thunder Mountain, and that side of the park was quite low in capacity. Space Mountain was on the docket and about to start construction, with a 1995 opening.

In 1993, they boosted park capacity by adding two small walkthrough attractions to Frontierland and Adventureland. A smaller temporary version of the proposed Indiana Jones Coaster was fast tracked and the current Temple of Peril was designed, fabricated, built and open in less than a year. The small Pirouettes du Vieux Moulin ferris wheel was also a 1993 attraction in Fantasyland.

Temple du Peril was expected to have a 5 years life expectancy and be replaced by a more definitive version of the ride after that period. Alas, while Space Mountain was an incredible success that boosted attendance, the hotels still dragged the financials of the resort down and investment in rides pretty much stopped after 1995, except for the conversion of Captain EO into Honey, I shrunk the Audience in 1999. By 1999, Temple du Peril was drawing insane waits due to its small 8 passenger trains and was starting to have mechanical issues. As a result, it closed for 6 months to receive track replacement and new trains with 12 passengers.

Temple du Peril original car

The trains were installed backward to give the park a new "ride" in 2000 with mitigated success. The trains were flipped forward in 2004 and the ride has run like that since. In 2014, the ride closed for a long refurbishment where the Temple was made "permanent" with the same rock sculpting techniques used in modern Disney rides and the loop was changed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom