Incandescent lighting frequently used at WDW

Goofyernmost

I think in the grand scheme of things, saying he is one of the most evil men in history is a bit of a reach.

That's somewhat of a scenario if Thomas Edison can't be given credit for the light bulb, the same folks who believe this, cast Thomas Edison as the villain.
Check out what he did to animals in the effort to scare people out of favoring AC over DC. There were a lot of evil men in history, in my opinion he was only one of them.

Chef Mickey

I agree but at some point with the govt banning bulb manufacturing it will get to the point that we will have no options but to go totally LED. Govt interfeerence in another aspect of our lives.
And think about how silly it is for the govt to mandate something like that. 😂 As if they care about anything but control. The market will produce what people want.

eliza61nyc

If anyone is changing LEDs out with anywhere near the frequency of incandescent bulbs then there is an underlying issue that needs to be addressed.
20231127_145913.jpg

The flickering is the problem I'm having. I have these in my kitchen ceiling. I've called two electricians both told me that there is nothing wrong with the wiring and that these bulbs "flicker" after a year or so. These were the cheaper varieties, should I stick with a better brand??

celluloid

The flickering is the problem I'm having. I have these in my kitchen ceiling. I've called two electricians both told me that there is nothing wrong with the wiring and that these bulbs "flicker" after a year or so. These were the cheaper varieties, should I stick with a better brand??

That sounds like the switch or wiring somewhere was intended for faders. But if they said that was not the cause I honestly don't know.

JoeCamel

Are you related to him or what? In my opinion he was one of the most evil men in history and he had a building full of highly intelligent people in his labs creating things that he took credit for inventing. He mostly financed the inventions. He did have some of his own but the more you know about him the less he is likable. Just the way he acted against Nicolai Tesla was almost criminal. He was a lot like Musk and Jobs. They think about things to create, but others actually do the creation. He and Jobs at least started with nothing.

He ultimately lost in his Direct Power design plan over Tesla's Alternating Power that we all use today.
Uhhh "brute force"

bpiper

View attachment 756334

Are these in recessed cans in the ceiling? Have you though of using the LED conversion kit ones for recessed cans? I have 10 in my kitchen from Feit going on 3 years and have had no problems with them. Got them in a deal at Costco. The distance from the lens cover to the bottom will determine if it is a flood or a spot. A short distance like the one shown below, is a flood, but if the distance is about doubled its a spot. I use manly floods, but have a spot right over the kitchen sink and the kitchen island. Ecosmart seems to be Home Depot's house brand..... There is usually a reason why house brands are cheaper than the name brands...

Also, have you looked to see what other items in your house are on the same circuit breaker as your kitchen lights..... Maybe have everything else on the circuit off for a while and see if it does it still flickers.

1701119818667.png

Chef Mickey

View attachment 756334
Had those too. Flickered. The brand is trash. I switched to Phillips and paid double, but they work better. I did have a Phillips go bad and I was so mad, I called the company and they gave me a new one for free. 😂

Honestly, my regular bulbs NEVER failed before their usual lifespan but they were harder to find. I don’t have anything against LED as a technology (besides some of the colors being odd) but I think switching everything to a new tech because it uses a little less energy is silly, wasteful and expensive.

Chef Mickey

Are these in recessed cans in the ceiling? Have you though of using the LED conversion kit ones for recessed cans? I have 10 in my kitchen from Feit going on 3 years and have had no problems with them. Got them in a deal at Costco. The distance from the lens cover to the bottom will determine if it is a flood or a spot. A short distance like the one shown below, is a flood, but if the distance is about doubled its a spot. I use manly floods, but have a spot right over the kitchen sink and the kitchen island. Ecosmart seems to be Home Depot's house brand..... There is usually a reason why house brands are cheaper than the name brands...

Also, have you looked to see what other items in your house are on the same circuit breaker as your kitchen lights..... Maybe have everything else on the circuit off for a while and see if it does it still flickers.

View attachment 756348
Yeah, Ecosmart is so bad. They burn out faster than regular bulbs!

The kit you posted is also great. I will warn you need to buy a good quality bc so many of them are also garbage.

JoeCamel

View attachment 756334
Other than being cheap bulbs are those and the Phillips dimmable? Even without dimmers they will help.

artvandelay

View attachment 756334
Are these bulbs controlled by an older dimmer switch? If yes, you need to replace the old dimmer switch with an LED compliant dimmer switch. That should fix the problem. I had the same issue and changing the dimmer switch worked.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Buying incandescent bulbs now to store them for when they become unavailable later is simply wasting money. An LED will use less wattage than an incandescent bulb with the same luminosity. This means less electricity and lower electric bills. Even an expensive LED will save you money over time compared to having to buy and replace several incandescent bulbs (that use more electricity). Unless, of course you're producing enough of your own electricity 'for free' with solar panels.

There's also the cost saving of not having to frequently replace hard-to-reach / industrial lighting that requires hiring workers to change them and the cost of a lift or scaffolding.

LEDs can replace incandescent and be nigh impossible to tell the difference unless you stare at the bulb. LEDs can produce warm yellowish light or bright bluish light (or both). If an LED light looks out of place, it's the fault of the person who chose the wrong LED bulb.

The LED itself should last 10 years or more (unless you're using them in a way they weren't meant to be used, e.g., using an indoor bulb outdoors, or putting an LED bulb not rated for a closed fixture in a closed fixture).

The LED itself will lose luminosity over time (over the course of 10 years or more). Get a luminosity app for your smart phone and take some measurements for a baseline. Then a decade later when "it seems dim in here," you can measure again to see if it's the bulbs, or your fading vision due to age.

What is often the problem with 'bad LEDs' is the driver (a circuit board in the base of the bulb that takes the AC and transforms it into electricity the bulb can use). And it's the cheapo brands (mostly made overseas) that have the recurring issue with the driver. Do the research to find the best reviewed and tested LED bulbs.

Flickering can have several causes. Most often, a rheostat (dimmer) made for incandescent is being used for the LED, or, the LED itself isn't made to dim. (Don't forget we all had to deal with the flickering of fluorescent tubes everywhere!).

If your electrician can't figure it out, find one who can. I dealt with an electrician during conversion of my industrial building from fluorescent bulbs (most were burned out) to LEDs. And when I asked him what kind of lumens would be needed, he asked me, "What's a lumen"? He was a disaster.

TP2000

Saving energy and money with led bulbs.
Even switching over every bulb in our house we noticed a difference in our energy monthly bills.

I did the same thing about 2 years ago in my old home. But it cost $400 to switch over the house to LED, which is a cost it would take me at least 7 or 8 years to recoup via monthly electricity bills.

And then about a year ago I sold that old house and moved to a brand new house in a new state. So I ate about $300 in lost costs by switching to LED's. My new house has a mixture of LED's and incandescent bulbs, but in my new state (Utah) the electricity costs are less than half what they were in California with its very high taxes on energy, so I don't really give a crap.

Now that I type that last sentence, that might be a good suggestion for my tombstone.... "He Didn't Really Give A Crap"

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Slowly our whole house has changed to all LED bulbs and fixtures. The best part is no longer changing burnt out bulbs all the time. The cabinet above the fridge used to be stocked with all shapes and sizes. Changing light bulbs all the time. Now it feels like I don’t do it anymore. The cabinet’s used for other things. I can’t even remember changing even one bulb over the past few years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom