In Need of Opening Park Tips

Disney13Scott

Original Poster
I was hoping to tap into the vast experience of you folks and find some great tips on going to the park at opening. I am taking my wife and 2 kids, we are staying off site the 2nd and 3rd weeks of July, so I need info on the following:

:veryconfu How early should I arrive at Magic Kindom, Epcot, Blizzard Beach, etc. in regards to "Official Opening Time"? We will be driving our own car to each park.

:veryconfu Do they still do the "Splash Mountain Sprint" when the rope drops or are they doing the "Follow the Rope" drop near the big rides?

:veryconfu Any tips on where to camp out at the waterparks? I would like to find a shady area that is somewhat less traveled, if possible.

:veryconfu Is Disney Quest worth the time/effort?

Thanks in advance for all your help, I look forward to everyone's input!

figmentfan

First, if you are staying on Property, utilize the Extra Morning Hours. If Magic Kingdom has a "EMH" the park opens at 8:00am. I would try to get there in between 7:30am and 7:45am. You will have problems getting to the parks during opening times of "EMH" if you drive. I tried it at Animal Kingdom, they don't open the parking lot until 8:00am. Utilize the "EMH" at Magic, MGM, and Animal Kingdom. Epcot is nice in the morning, but Epcot can be done anytime during the day. That is why I LOVE Epcot.

If you go early in the morning (8:00am), then you can go back to the hotel for a afternoon break (nap, swim, etc.), and then go back to the parks at night, or Downtown Disney.

Blizzard Beach.....get there EARLY! Take your car, best option. If you get there early (30 minutes prior) then you can locker rentals, towel rentals without waiting, and you get your choice of lounge chairs in the shade that you want. Also, you can get on the most popular water slides without any wait. Enjoy your Disney Vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!

jsfra209

How early should I arrive at Magic Kindom, Epcot, Blizzard Beach, etc. in regards to "Official Opening Time"? We will be driving our own car to each park.

:veryconfu Do they still do the "Splash Mountain Sprint" when the rope drops or are they doing the "Follow the Rope" drop near the big rides?

:veryconfu Any tips on where to camp out at the waterparks? I would like to find a shady area that is somewhat less traveled, if possible.

:veryconfu Is Disney Quest worth the time/effort?

1.) Main street usa usally opens about 1 hour before the park does. Be there as early as you can, ready to enter the park at opening

2.) Not sure if they do the dash, but I think I saw it posted somewhere else on the board, that they still do.

3.) In the waterparks, if you need to camp out somewhere, look for a shady spot, and CLAIM YOUR BEACH CHAIRS ASAP!! They go really fast.

4.) Personally, I dont think Disney Quest is worth the time or money. It's really expensive, and hard to get anywhere near the games, (unless you feel good about shoving 6 and 7 year olds out of the way, because I swear that is what you will have to do)

Remember, dont rush too much...You're on vacation!!!

CAPTAIN HOOK

1) Get to the park as early as you can - I recommend at least 1/2 hour before posted opening times
2) As fas as I'm aware its a case of following the rope towards the attractions and when its drops get ready to run the last hundred yards or so
3) Pick your shady spots, claim a chair or two, then go enjoy
4) IMHO - no

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I don't know if this is the new standard or not, but last week at MK you were held back behind the train station until the park opened. You couldn't even get a stroller. You were able to enjoy some corny park opening show on the platform of the train station, complete with some characters, a song, and an honorary family throwing out pixie dust.

Give me Main Street an hour prior to park open, thank you very much.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
About opening:

Check sites etc to guage crowds - I once waited 30mins outside the turnstiles of Epcot is a fairly long line before they opened them, and then we waited again in a mass of people under Spaceship Earth before being walked to M:S and Test Track. This was in *checks* March I think. We got there at roughly 8:15

Also, the opening show at MK is common, it ends a few mins before the parks official opening time, and you are let onto Mainstreet and to goto "ropes" at the various lands until official opening time. I did this the day after Thanksgiving (we just HAD to go shopping). We arrived at 8:50. (8:40 at the TTC - parking lot)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
With most of the parks arriving ½ to 1 hour before the park opens will be fine. MK is a little different. If you are not staying onsite you need to take the ferry or the monorail from the TTC to MK. This can easily add 30 minuets to your travel time so plan for a little more time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom