Improvement: Yes or No

DW Aficionado

Original Poster
Curious to see how others view various changes at WDW over the last few years. I thought a simple Yes or No to each of these changes as to if it was an improvement to the parks or not:

• Wishes vs the current fireworks show at MK
  • Either of the nighttime parades vs no parades at MK
  • The Main Street Bakery vs Starbucks at MK
  • Toon Town vs whatever is there now at MK
  • Illuminations vs the current fireworks show at EPCOT
  • The Sorcerer's Hat vs no Sorcerer's Hat at HS
  • Splash Mountain vs anything at MK
  • Osbourne Christmas Lights vs nothing at HS
You tell me....

CaptainAmerica

Really, you didn't like the parades or the christmas lights.....
A nighttime parade at Magic Kingdom is an operational nightmare because it completely ruins park egress. It's not like Disneyland or even the other WDW parks where everyone can just walk to their car at the end of the night. Everyone has to take a boat, monorail, ferry, or bus to leave the park, and the night parades basically mean you're stuck in one giant traffic jam from Big Thunder Mountain Railroad all the way South to the TTC.

The Christmas lights were fine but Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge are better.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
  • Wishes vs the current fireworks show at MK - Yes
  • Either of the nighttime parades vs no parades at MK - Idc
  • The Main Street Bakery vs Starbucks at MK - No
  • Toon Town vs whatever is there now at MK - Idc
  • Illuminations vs the current fireworks show at EPCOT - No
  • The Sorcerer's Hat vs no Sorcerer's Hat at HS - Yes
  • Splash Mountain vs anything at MK - No
  • Osbourne Christmas Lights vs nothing at HS - You mean vs Galaxy's Edge... Yes.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
A nighttime parade at Magic Kingdom is an operational nightmare because it completely ruins park egress. It's not like Disneyland or even the other WDW parks where everyone can just walk to their car at the end of the night. Everyone has to take a boat, monorail, ferry, or bus to leave the park, and the night parades basically mean you're stuck in one giant traffic jam from Big Thunder Mountain Railroad all the way South to the TTC.

The Christmas lights were fine but Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge are better.
Now living local, getting in and out of the MK is the biggest deterrent to going. I wouldnt want to imagine a night time parade added to the schedule holding more people in the park to closing time.

IanDLBZF

• Wishes vs the current fireworks show at MK - HEA, Yes. Enchantment, No.
  • Either of the nighttime parades vs no parades at MK - That depends.
  • The Main Street Bakery vs Starbucks at MK - Idc
  • Toon Town vs whatever is there now at MK - No
  • Illuminations vs the current fireworks show at EPCOT - Idc
  • Splash Mountain vs anything at MK - Wait and see
  • Osbourne Christmas Lights vs nothing at HS - Yes

Twirlnhurl

I wouldnt want to imagine a night time parade added to the schedule holding more people in the park to closing time.
I terms of park egress, the nighttime parade was much easier on the infrastructure than fireworks.

When a fireworks show ends, it ends for everybody all at once. When they would run the parade once a night, they would have it go towards the castle so the parade would end over the course of 20 minutes or so. This distributes the exiting crowds so the wave of people waiting for the monorail and ferry was slower to build and easier to manage.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I terms of park egress, the nighttime parade was much easier on the infrastructure than fireworks.

When a fireworks show ends, it ends for everybody all at once. When they would run the parade once a night, they would have it go towards the castle so the parade would end over the course of 20 minutes or so. This distributes the exiting crowds so the wave of people waiting for the monorail and ferry was slower to build and easier to manage.
Unless something has changed hasnt the fireworks been an hour or more prior to park closing? I just figured this delay in closing was to allow time for a portion of the crowd to stay in park while a considerable number of people watching the fireworks from the mainstreet area to filter oit.

TrainsOfDisney

Unless something has changed hasnt the fireworks been an hour or more prior to park closing? I just figured this delay in closing was to allow time for a portion of the crowd to stay in park while a considerable number of people watching the fireworks from the mainstreet area to filter oit.
It was even better when it operated with an early night parade, fireworks, late night parade, then closing. Then you had multiple waves of crowds throughout the night where now you really only have 1.5

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Curious to see how others view various changes at WDW over the last few years. I thought a simple Yes or No to each of these changes as to if it was an improvement to the parks or not:

You tell me....
  • Either of the nighttime parades vs no parades at MK - No
  • The Main Street Bakery vs Starbucks at MK - Neutral
  • Toon Town vs whatever is there now at MK - Neutral
  • Osbourne Christmas Lights vs nothing at HS - Don't understand this one, I miss Osborne lights, but removing it was an overall gain for the park.

MickeyLuv'r

You tell me....
yes
yes
yes
no
yes
no
?
yes

Po'Rich

I find myself agreeing with danlb_2000:
  • Either of the nighttime parades vs no parades at MK - No
  • The Main Street Bakery vs Starbucks at MK - Neutral
  • Toon Town vs whatever is there now at MK - Neutral
  • Osbourne Christmas Lights vs nothing at HS-No
I really miss the nighttime parades. Illuminations was my favorite nighttime show, and in general, I don't like when attractions just disappear without anything to replace them.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Irrelevant
No
Push
Improvement
Fail
Improvement…but that’s kinda obvious
Fail
The lights were overrated…but a deduction is still a deduction
You tell me....
I just did

Twirlnhurl

Idk…. The houses had a nice charm to them. And the barnstormer lost its chickens.

The railroad station is certainly an improvement though.
I didn't like the houses, but they definitely succeed at their goal. And I agree that the changes to Barnstormer were probably a net negative. But the Dueling Dumbos with air conditioned waiting is unambiguously a major improvement, as is the train station.

Overall, I think the Toontown replacement was 70% better, 30% worse for an overall modest improvement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom