Impact of New Muppets Show on DHS

Cmdr_Crimson

I suppose everything's relative, but are Bean Bunny or Rizzo really considered "old guard"?

Rizzo has been on the orginal Muppet Show but, for some odd reason they took Bean Bunny from the HBO Special The Tale of the Bunny Picnic and somehow tossed him in the Jim Henson Hour which then led him to being a regular Muppet..

Misterdcp

for some odd reason they took Bean Bunny from the HBO Special The Tale of the Bunny Picnic and somehow tossed him in the Jim Henson Hour which then led him to being a regular Muppet..
I'm pretty sure I had never heard of Bean Bunny at all before seeing Muppet Vision 3D the first time. I remember saying "who is that?" I always wondered why they used him as a central character in the show. You would think they would have used one of the more well known muppets

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

Wrong...Steve Whitmire is also an Muppet Alumn...Before he did Kermit he was Recognized for doing Rizzo & Bean Bunny
2561042303_f82ea34c6f.jpg
Steve didn't realy come into his own as a main performer until the early 80s. When I say "Old Guard", I'm basically thinking "Pre-Muppet Movie".

I'm pretty sure I had never heard of Bean Bunny at all before seeing Muppet Vision 3D the first time. I remember saying "who is that?" I always wondered why they used him as a central character in the show. You would think they would have used one of the more well known muppets
Bean and Waldo were both relatively new Muppets at the time. Bean debuted in Tales of the Bunny Picnic and became a regular on The Jim Henson Hour, which is where Waldo and Clifford (who became the star of Muppets Tonight) originated.

Cmdr_Crimson

According to Scooter from the special The Muppets at Walt Disney World is that He was The Cute One..So basically The Elmo of the group..

Check at the 56 second mark where he's at The Imagination Pavilion.

Last edited:

Texas84

Looking forward to this. For some reason they just didn't translate to movies for me but I loved the original show.

erasure fan1

If anything, a refresh to MuppetVision would be welcome. Perhaps not by the Jim Henson family or "Muppet Purists" (do those exist?) but most definitely by current generations of Park-goers. Updated comedy and a little less of the in-your-face 3D gags will go a looooong way.
First off, do they exist? Yup, I would be one of them. I have said it before, in no way should they ever replace the current show. If you want to remaster it and change Waldo to not look so 80s, OK fine. But the show shouldn't change. Muppet vision really does hold up extremely well and is always very well received by guests. The other problem I have with replacing it is the fact that Disney has yet to prove they can come anywhere close to the genius of Henson and Oz. The Muppets reboot was good but still light years behind the original 3 movies. If the new show is a success, and worthy of something at the parks, then they should add a ride. Not replace a very well liked attraction in a park that needs more to do.

**Ends Muppet rant**
:D

Last edited:

Fox&Hound

I am heart broken the new show has been canceled. What do you think the news means for the renovated muppets court yard? Will it stay or be scrapped to connect star tours with the rest of Star Wars land? I hope and pray it stays...

rm247

I never understood the thinking behind the new Muppets show. The Muppets themselves are popular still and as has been shown time and again they work best in a variety show setting. Why they don't do a new version of The Muppet Show, as a variety show like the original with celebrities every week, i'll never understand.

Tom Morrow

I never understood the thinking behind the new Muppets show. The Muppets themselves are popular still and as has been shown time and again they work best in a variety show setting. Why they don't do a new version of The Muppet Show, as a variety show like the original with celebrities every week, i'll never understand.
Because variety shows are a relic of the 70's and it would have gone over even worse than the new show did. The "retooled" episodes had the right idea of making Miss Piggy's show a Jimmy Kimmel/Fallon style late night show with similar skits to fill the variety show void.

The show had some initial flaws but it was starting to get really good. If it had been allowed a second season I think it could have evolved into something great. But now we'll never know.

Matt_Black

Because there is not a lot of variety shows on tv today? Americas got talent, X-Factor, etc.

And even those are far removed from how the Muppets formula works. While the mockumentary format may have been too clever for it's own good, the late night show idea was a sound compromise, as that provided an easy excuse for celebrity guests, wacky sketches, and musical numbers.

G00fyDad

I still think that the show would have been a huge success if they had returned to the original format. I really think that people would have connected to it again and it would have gained some newer fans as well. SNL works in this format. Why not the Muppets?

Matt_Black

I still think that the show would have been a huge success if they had returned to the original format. I really think that people would have connected to it again and it would have gained some newer fans as well. SNL works in this format. Why not the Muppets?

SNL varies wildly in quality, often from season to season. You'll note that Mad TV, with a similar format and time slot, was less longer lived and is now essentially the answer to a trivia question.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom