Imminent Changes to Peter Pans Flight

neo999955

In the Parks
No
Everything is problematic. It will never end.
Well, everything is not. Even remotely.

I agree. I think we should protect our young and delete any references to history

Instances where insensitive depictions of people are now viewed with a more caring (and accurate) eye can and should be updated either by removing it, removing the insensitivity or properly giving context.

Of course, we're talking about a family theme park, so removing is most often going to be Disney's approach - but there are many solutions they could take. Culture changes over time and on the overall bend, it's been pretty good. I do find it odd when people so forcefully fight against these types of updates -I get that outright removing/replacement is perhaps the laziest solution, but in the context of a Disney park centered on magical happiness - I think it's pretty reasonable.

We can teach and explain to future generations why these things happened, what they were and why they were changed - even if you didn't find it necessary. That is super important that we do that in schools, at home and in museums/public monuments/etc. I don't think we want that type of "This is why this thing you're about to see is offensive" at Disney though. And yes, worse, would be to leave it.

neo999955

In the Parks
No
It is to somebody.
I don't know if this is very serious, I hope not, but to be clear - if I find one personal thing offensive on my own and complain about it online / to Disney / to my local news - no one is going to care.

Things that large groups of people find insensitive and things that are deliberate recasts of history for the benefit of another group (usually in the US some take on whitewashing) are things that are considered generally to be 'problematic' and deserve action.

Again, not everyone will take offense; many people won't care. However, many from those groups (and many others too) will care as they are marginalized people who have dealt with generations of mistreatment, financial theft and often death. It's cultural growth to recognize the symbols that have been used throughout history to subtly (and not subtly) reinforce their otherness as a means to defend their collective mistreatment.

Bocabear

What would they actually change about that on the ride? It is teepees and indians... and Tiger Lily... Change the figures that appear stereotypical? Teepees are historically accurate... Native Americans wearing feahers was a historically documented thing for certain tribes...parts of the depiction are based on real references....so could they leave the teepee village and do Native American characters off-model from the film but more accurate to real life? Delete the characters, completely from the ride? (The MK version doesn't use them as a plot point the way the newer Shanghai version does)... I am curious as to what the solution is...

Bocabear

Hopefully the solution involves bidding fond farewell to the current ride and installing something worth waiting in line for.
AMEN to thaat! I have said for years, the Circus Tents need to be replaced with an all new double tracked longer version of this ride complete with a Neverland area and Lost Boys village. It would be adorable...and would solve the issue of the crazy long waits for an attraction that is just about 2 minutes long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom