Imminent Changes to Peter Pans Flight

eddie104

This doesn’t seem long enough to add projection effects to the London and Neverland scenes like at Disneyland. Their 2015 refurbishment in which those were added lasted five months. *Sigh* really hope we’re not stuck with streamer waterfalls, aging tiles representing the sea, and that spinning moon for the foreseeable future.
It might end up being closed longer.

Last edited:

JohnD

I think the Indians might disappear from the ride in the next few months. Two months is plenty of time to swipe them out with something else.
I wouldn't be surprised. They really are in remove-retheme "problematic" items mode: Splash>Tiana, Country Bear Jamboree>Country Bear Musical Jamboree, Frontierland Shootin' Arcade>DVC Lounge! Let's not forget JC and Pirates which also had scenes revised. Why should Peter Pan be any different?

Last edited:

JohnD

They should take the simple and low cost approach and remove the Indians. Put some random critters there. Everyone loves critters, and there could be potential merch opportunity.
Injuns. The funny thing is I was having brunch on Sunday and, for whatever reason, the restaurant had their bar TV set to Freeform which was showing Peter Pan with subtitles. There were references to "Injuns" and "Redskins". LOL.

Disstevefan1

Peter Pan is one of the most popular attractions as we can see by the consistency high standby wait times.

What’s it going to be like when that’s closed for two years to re theme it to Moana?

We do need more Moana in the parks anyway.

Kirby86

The Disney music vevo YouTube page has a Following the Leader sing-along from the original movie. Normally they use the version that says "we won't be home till morning". Peter Pan seems to be in that gray area where yeah it has stuff in it that hasn't aged the best but because it's a classic movie that still has the opportunity to make them money the company seems to be content with letting it hang around.

Ghost93

The Disney music vevo YouTube page has a Following the Leader sing-along from the original movie. Normally they use the version that says "we won't be home till morning". Peter Pan seems to be in that gray area where yeah it has stuff in it that hasn't aged the best but because it's a classic movie that still has the opportunity to make them money the company seems to be content with letting it hang around.
I remember the Following the Leader segment was played its original for in the Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah Sing Along Songs VHS (which featured Song of the South clips). The VHS retained the lyrics about the lost boys being "off to fight the injuns" and also included the Ballad of Davy Crockett referring to injuns. That entire VHS tape probably aged the worse of the sing along songs, lol.

And I think Peter Pan hasn't been banned because Tinker Bell is too iconic (most recognizable Disney character besides Mickey Mouse) and people's memories of the movie tend to forget the racism and sexism, and instead think of the kids flying out of London, Peter and Hook fighting on Hook's ship, the crocodile and mermaids. Unlike SOTS, where the only thing most people remember about the movie outside the animated segments IS the racism and romanticization of plantation life.

Dumbo also gets a pass because the crows, while crucial, are only in a small fraction of the movie's overall running time. People are more likely to remember the Baby Mine sequence than Jim Crow.

wedenterprises

It’s not that so much as “let’s close this before Big Thunder.”

It was now or late 2025.
Good point, I was also thinking of Test Track...but I think you are correct.

At least it's one less Genie Genie+ Lightning Lane Individual Lightning Lane Rope Drop twenty seven dollar Multi Single pass fastpass that I need to wake up at 7am for next month!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom