Imagineers refer to Disney/MGM as Disney Studios

Hobnail Boot

Original Poster
On page seven of the new "Imagineering Field Guide to the Magic Kingdom," there is a paragraph titled Okay, Here's the Resume! It lists all the parks and years that they were built. Everything here has it's full name, like Tokyo DisneySea, Disney's Animal Kingdom Park, and Walt Disney Studios Park. However, where Disney/MGM Studios should be, there is only "Disney Studios (1989). Perhaps this is a sign that the name change is imminent?

MrNonacho

Premium Member
I don't see it as any more of a sign than any of the countless others that have popped up over the last 5 or 10 years.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
The book is sold outside of the US. As everyone knows, Disney does not have the right to use the MGM name outside of region 1 (US and Canada). Therefore, they cannot use the MGM name in the book, as it would violate the contract.

wannab@dis

I'm pretty sure that I have this information correct from everything that's been said over the years. The contract that Disney has with MGM does not allow them to use the MGM name in ways other than stipulated in the contract. Hence, you don't see it in marketing outside of certain areas (such as the Planning DVD). It may also cover this book. I wouldn't read anything into the lack of MGM. We'll find out from sources here if they decide to change the name (if ever).

Thrawn

Account Suspended
wannab@dis said:
I'm pretty sure that I have this information correct from everything that's been said over the years. The contract that Disney has with MGM does not allow them to use the MGM name in ways other than stipulated in the contract. Hence, you don't see it in marketing outside of certain areas (such as the Planning DVD). It may also cover this book. I wouldn't read anything into the lack of MGM. We'll find out from sources here if they decide to change the name (if ever).

HA HA HA HA I beat you by 3 minutes HA HA HA HA HA :lol: :lol: :D :D :sohappy: :sohappy: :lol: :lol:

On topic: This is why Walt Disney Studios Paris is called just that, and not Disney-MGM Studios Paris

wannab@dis

Thrawn said:
HA HA HA HA I beat you by 3 minutes HA HA HA HA HA :lol: :lol: :D :D

On topic: This is why Walt Disney Studios Paris is called just that, and not Disney-MGM Studios Paris

:lol:

Little slow today, but my post was more detailed. :lookaroun

Sorry... had to play the "my dad can beat up your dad" game. :D

Thrawn

Account Suspended
wannab@dis said:
:lol:

Little slow today, but my post was more detailed. :lookaroun

Sorry... had to play the "my dad can beat up your dad" game. :D

You mean you were more of a blabbermouth :D

Thrawn

Account Suspended
mousermerf said:
Note: Imagineering also refers to Stitch's Great Escape as innovative and entertaining - we know better don't we?

Well, it is innovative. Everyone can agree that there is nothing quite like it anywhere in the world.

wannab@dis

mousermerf said:
Note: Imagineering also refers to Stitch's Great Escape as innovative and entertaining - we know better don't we?

It's innovative and watching the crowds inside is entertaining. :lookaroun

askmike1

Speaking of the Studios, have they finished changing the arch (in front of Animation Courtyard)? DTroops showed a picture in their newsbrief with the whole logo off the sign (and scafolding around it). If they finished, what does it say now?

peter11435

askmike1 said:
Speaking of the Studios, have they finished changing the arch (in front of Animation Courtyard)? DTroops showed a picture in their newsbrief with the whole logo off the sign (and scafolding around it). If they finished, what does it say now?

No the arch is now covered in scafolding and tarps. The sign was not down for a name change but rather a rehab of the entire structure. Here is a photo of how the arch looked yesterday.

DCP_1397.JPG

askmike1

peter11435 said:
No the arch is now covered in scafolding and tarps. The sign was not down for a name change but rather a rehab of the entire structure. Here is a photo of how the arch looked yesterday.

DCP_1397.JPG
Thanks for the info. I figured it would probably be just for a refurb, but with all the talk that happened in June and the picture with just the name down, it made me think.

ogryn

peter11435 said:
Vacation Brochures have always said Disney-MGM Studios. It was only video and out of region items that could not use the MGM name.

So all brochures in all regions are exempt then?

I think our copy of "A Brit's Guide To Orlando" book referenced it as Disney-MGM as well.

ogryn

Thrawn said:
The book is sold outside of the US. As everyone knows, Disney does not have the right to use the MGM name outside of region 1 (US and Canada). Therefore, they cannot use the MGM name in the book, as it would violate the contract.

Surely this doesn't hold up, as I'm in region 2, and my copy of Walt Disney Imagineering used the Disney-MGM name

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom