Imagineering on WDWMagic: A Short Hello to an Old Studio

jdmdisney99

Original Poster
Hello all.

Some of you might remember me from days long gone by. I joined the forum all the way back in 2012, and instantly found my way to the Imagineer forum. Since my early youth I have dreamt of becoming a Walt Disney Imagineer. From a young age, I was armchair imagineering with toys and sketches. As I grew older and discovered this forum, it was incredible to find a niche community of other people passionate about exploring creativity threw themed experiences.

When I first joined, the community was relatively small and moderately active in sharing personal projects. Soon, a member by the name of @BryceM started a competition called "Master of the Parks". Immediately I joined, still ecstatic that I could share my passion with others. Now, though, I would be able to improve through healthy competition. Through the winter of 2012 and 2013, I competed every week until I ultimately won the entire competition. I was proud and thrilled with the curveballs we were thrown each week.

Later that year, I undertook a significant effort to share that energy with others in a new team competition based on then-private-citizen Donald Trump's TV show - thus, "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" was born. There was no looking back. The competitors and judges had a blast trading ideas and throwing in competitive twists throughout the first season, won by @MonorailRed. Over the next two or three years, we produced two more seasons of the Sorcerer's Apprentice, won by @Zweiland and @tcool123, and the forum exploded with creative energy and other competitions. We formed coalitions to produce rankings and championships. Rivalries were formed (@Sam4D23 ;)). Meanwhile, perhaps unbeknownst to all of us, we were improving our skills daily through mutual critique and iteration.

All of it left an innumerable impression on me in some of my most formative years. Eventually though, it became too much, and real life set in. I had to leave the forum that I loved behind. But, to my amazing surprise, I have come back to see that creative fire has never died here. The Sorcerer's Apprentice lives on, and daily posts keep members working to refine their creative expression. It is awe-inspiring. That same creative fire has not died in me either, and today I am finishing my degree in a concerted effort to work in the theme park engineering industry. Yet, none of it would be possible without my years on this forum. So I cannot thank this community enough, whether we've met before or not.

Thank you.

Also, I don't know who is still around or if I can remember everyone, but special thanks to the aforementioned users in addition to @WED99, @Turtle, @Matt7187, @RMichael21, @DinoInstitute, @Voxel, @englanddg, @MA Screamin', @ctxak98, @LittleGiants'16, @spacemt354, and @Imagineerland for being such a thoughtful inspiration years ago. I apologize if i missed anyone or if this thread is out of place, but I felt I needed to pay my respects. :)

jdmdisney99

Original Poster
Hello all.

Some of you might remember me from days long gone by. I joined the forum all the way back in 2012, and instantly found my way to the Imagineer forum. Since my early youth I have dreamt of becoming a Walt Disney Imagineer. From a young age, I was armchair imagineering with toys and sketches. As I grew older and discovered this forum, it was incredible to find a niche community of other people passionate about exploring creativity threw themed experiences.

When I first joined, the community was relatively small and moderately active in sharing personal projects. Soon, a member by the name of @BryceM started a competition called "Master of the Parks". Immediately I joined, still ecstatic that I could share my passion with others. Now, though, I would be able to improve through healthy competition. Through the winter of 2012 and 2013, I competed every week until I ultimately won the entire competition. I was proud and thrilled with the curveballs we were thrown each week.

Later that year, I undertook a significant effort to share that energy with others in a new team competition based on then-private-citizen Donald Trump's TV show - thus, "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" was born. There was no looking back. The competitors and judges had a blast trading ideas and throwing in competitive twists throughout the first season, won by @MonorailRed. Over the next two or three years, we produced two more seasons of the Sorcerer's Apprentice, won by @Zweiland and @tcool123, and the forum exploded with creative energy and other competitions. We formed coalitions to produce rankings and championships. Rivalries were formed (@Sam4D23 ;)). Meanwhile, perhaps unbeknownst to all of us, we were improving our skills daily through mutual critique and iteration.

All of it left an innumerable impression on me in some of my most formative years. Eventually though, it became too much, and real life set in. I had to leave the forum that I loved behind. But, to my amazing surprise, I have come back to see that creative fire has never died here. The Sorcerer's Apprentice lives on, and daily posts keep members working to refine their creative expression. It is awe-inspiring. That same creative fire has not died in me either, and today I am finishing my degree in a concerted effort to work in the theme park engineering industry. Yet, none of it would be possible without my years on this forum. So I cannot thank this community enough, whether we've met before or not.

Thank you.

Also, I don't know who is still around or if I can remember everyone, but special thanks to the aforementioned users in addition to @WED99, @Turtle, @Matt7187, @RMichael21, @DinoInstitute, @Voxel, @englanddg, @MA Screamin', @ctxak98, @LittleGiants'16, and @Imagineerland for being such a thoughtful inspiration years ago. I apologize if i missed anyone or if this thread is out of place, but I felt I needed to pay my respects. :)
If anyone has any questions or wants to just catch up, feel free to PM me!

RMichael21

Hello all.

Thank you.

Also, I don't know who is still around or if I can remember everyone, but special thanks to the aforementioned users in addition to @WED99, @Turtle, @Matt7187, @RMichael21, @DinoInstitute, @Voxel, @englanddg, @MA Screamin', @ctxak98, @LittleGiants'16, @spacemt354, and @Imagineerland for being such a thoughtful inspiration years ago. I apologize if i missed anyone or if this thread is out of place, but I felt I needed to pay my respects. :)
Welcome back! I myself have lost touch with these boards but it’s always great when you pop back in. Definitely have fond memories of these boards circa 2012 to 2015/16, and it’s always nice to come back here every now and then to lurk.

Last edited:

tcool123

Hello all.

Thank you.

Welcome back jdm great to see you here on the boards 😁
Good to hear you’re doing well and working towards the theme park industry. Maybe we’ll cross paths one day as I’m also in a major right now that is chiefly theme park focused 🥳

Also! If anyone remembers the days of the ICS and the annual Elite Eight... that feels like forever ago. :bookworm:
Someone is showing their age 😉😝

I still remember the Rookies Club and that takes me a bit back too, and of course The Sole Imagineer 😉

LittleGiants'16

Hello all.

Thank you.

As to you, @jdmdisney99, most of us have turned to lurking over the years. And probably for the best.

Still, I’m glad to see you’re doing well.

MonorailRed

Applebees
Hello all.

Thank you.

I'm a little late to the party, but what a throwback post! Glad to hear you're doing well and getting ready for the theme park engineering industry! :joyfull:

It was so great to see that old crew tagged, it really brings back memories from Sorcerers (including Tintin :bookworm:), Elite Eight, ICS/TAFI, and @Sam4D23 's Original WDW from scratch project.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom