Imagineering a Disney Mountain Resort

Heppenheimer

Original Poster
The animals will represent a selection from the world's boreal forests. Like Siberian tigers.

tiger-Siberian.jpg

Moose:
bull-moose-water.jpg

Reindeer:
20070818-0001-strolling_reindeer.jpg

Heppenheimer

Original Poster
Förtrolladskog also needs a ride or two. I'm thinking that one could be some kind of indoor log flume or boat ride (necessary for indoors due to the climate), but I'm having trouble dreaming up a theme. I'm not against using an existing Disney IP, but neither do I want it to dominate. It should fit the boreal environment and at least make some reference to conservation. Any ideas? I'll moll over it as well.

Evilgidgit

Förtrolladskog also needs a ride or two. I'm thinking that one could be some kind of indoor log flume or boat ride (necessary for indoors due to the climate), but I'm having trouble dreaming up a theme. I'm not against using an existing Disney IP, but neither do I want it to dominate. It should fit the boreal environment and at least make some reference to conservation. Any ideas? I'll moll over it as well.

This is cheating, but create a new version of Maelstrom?

Robbiem

I’m always intrigued by the idea of Mineral King. Its one of those big what ifs - would a Disney ski resort work. Would they have diversified more and built other non park resorts or would they have eventually sold it to concentrate on the park? We’ll never know.

Back to your plans - a few thoughts of mine. Disney wouldn’t be Disney without some form of train so maybe connect the resorts with an old steam train between resorts it could possibly pass through scenes relating to each resort as a transition. Speaking of resorts I’d love to see a Russian themed resort

The central area probably needs some form of child facility for children who aren’t old enough or can’t ski. Maybe base it on the sort of thing they have on the cruise line and something like a modern Disney quest would be great as well

also from the cruise line how about a theatre for evening shows - possibly sharing productions with the ships?

How about using projection mapping on the night slopes, or for so e form of nighttime entertainment?

Heppenheimer

Original Poster
I’m always intrigued by the idea of Mineral King. Its one of those big what ifs - would a Disney ski resort work. Would they have diversified more and built other non park resorts or would they have eventually sold it to concentrate on the park? We’ll never know.

Back to your plans - a few thoughts of mine. Disney wouldn’t be Disney without some form of train so maybe connect the resorts with an old steam train between resorts it could possibly pass through scenes relating to each resort as a transition. Speaking of resorts I’d love to see a Russian themed resort

The central area probably needs some form of child facility for children who aren’t old enough or can’t ski. Maybe base it on the sort of thing they have on the cruise line and something like a modern Disney quest would be great as well

also from the cruise line how about a theatre for evening shows - possibly sharing productions with the ships?

How about using projection mapping on the night slopes, or for so e form of nighttime entertainment?
Hmm, I didn't think about a train. I'll get to that once I finish Northern Animal Kingdom.

Speaking of Russia, I'm thinking of incorporating Russian influence in the area of Northern Animal Kingdom devoted to steppe ecosystems.

The pedestrian village could easily accommodate a child care facility.

I figure that the night time shows (see earlier) would use every technical trick in the Imagineers' playbook, from fireworks, to lasers, to smoke effects, to synchronized lighting to projection mapping.

I hadn't thought of a separate indoor theater. I did think of putting a stage in an open area at the top of the pedestrian village, but this was for shows in the summer.

Heppenheimer

Original Poster
So, after thinking it over for a week or so, I can't brainstorm a better idea for an attraction in our boreal forest section of the park than an adaptation of Epcot's old Maelstrom (thanks to Evilgidgit for the suggestion). If you recall the opening of the ride, the guests are invited back in time to explore Norway's history. I would open with the same general idea (going through layers of illuminated mist), but rather than going back in time specific to Norway, the guests are entering the mystical world of Förtrolladskog, representing the enchanted forests of the north.

The ride could open in a night time scene on a peaceful forest river, kind of like the blue bayou at Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean, before entering the mists of the unknown.
Atmosphere-7-Blue-Bayou.jpg

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

Original Poster
Now I think I have a concept for this ride. The inspiration comes from a combination of the Maelstrom and a plot element in The Hobbit (book, not movie), with a few touches from the Frozen franchise.

After entering the mists of the enchanted forests, the boats float past animal scenes typical of a northern forest.

nam-moose-hero_facebookshare_1200.jpg

But the guests notice something else. They see random twinkles of light. They hear soft, playful laughter. In the shadows, they momentarily see small human-like figures that quickly slip away.

wood-elves-hiding-and-watching-a-lady-richard-doyle.jpg

What appears to be piles of rocks sometimes reveals a pair of eyes.

95595056-stone-troll-statue-in-fossatun-in-iceland-land-of-the-elves-and-trolls.jpg

Something else lives in this forest besides the animals!

Heppenheimer

Original Poster
In a distant forest glen, guests can see what appears to be a feast of elves and fairies.
46f903ad363b9f855aad788e71dc1739.jpg

However, as the boats approach, suddenly an alarm goes out, and everything goes to pitch black darkness. The boats shake, and suddenly, a troll sentinel appears from the ground.

maelstrom-gallery04.jpg

A three-headed troll then accuses the guests of trespassing in the enchanted forest. And worse, they are accused of poaching and logging.

9f900f13f8a4ff8c77ae40cac8cfc5f7de0cf7d6_hq.jpg

As punishment, the guests are cursed and will be tossed over the Tännforsens waterfall.

2560px-Tännforsens_vattenfall.jpg

A spell is cast, and the boat speeds backwards in the opposite direction (sound familiar?)

Heppenheimer

Original Poster
As the boats hurl backwards at high speed, the guests pass some familiar faces:

maxresdefault (3).jpg

IMG_0009-1024x683.jpg

Anna remarks: "Hey, there's our guests? Why are they headed towards the waterfall? Olaf, did you remember to tell the elves that our guests were visiting? Olaf?!"

Suddenly, just as it appears that the boat will descend backwards over the waterfall, Elsa appears and casts a spell.

ep155_05.jpg

A large piece of ice falls into the water, revealing a downward slope of water. The boats reverse course just in time and flow down the hill to safety.

Elsa and Anna explain the mishap and Olaf apologizes for the trouble. The ride ends as the elves welcome the riders to their forest home and invite them to join their celebration.

Untitled.jpg

As an easter egg, you can catch a quick glimpse of Rapunzel and Flynn Rider.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

Original Poster
Next up, a section representing the steppes and great plains of the higher latitudes. It will be a mixture of the Eurasian steppe and the North American Northern Great Plains (with maybe some Patagonia thrown into the mix).

The gateway to the animal exhibits will be modeled after a weather-beaten Russian village that is slowly fading into obscurity. Let's call this area Ploskaya Zemlya, which Google translate tells me is Russian for "Flatland".

russiansnow.jpg

hungarian-russian-village.jpg

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

Original Poster
My concept for Ploskaya Zemlya is similar to Harambe in the real Animal Kingdom park. In addition to the restaurants and shops in the Russian-style village, there will be a trail to display the smaller animals, and a safari-type ride through a simulated grassland steppe to see the larger animals. The theme of the latter could be a motorized caravan evoking the Silk Road and North American western migration.

Heppenheimer

Original Poster
Here are some of the smaller critters guests can observe on the animal trail, featuring a selection from the Eurasian Steppe, the North American prairie, and Patagonia.

Prairie dogs (my pic)

Wichita 015.JPG

American badger

americanbadgerfws.jpg

Patagonian maras

800px-Mara_in_captivity.jpg

Patagonian foxes

Zorrito_Chile.JPG

And this would be the section where we could have a large aviary, showing birds from all three regions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom