Imagineer!!!

WDWFREAK12

Original Poster
I really, really want to be an immagineer but how do you become one, is there a special school, and do you have to work in california. Also to work as an animal instructor it is headquartered in florida right? Is it in disney world. And for immagineering and animal thing do you get to go in the park for free, a discount, or you have to pay full price?
Thanks
~WDWFREAK12

scoobygang7144

I also want to be an imagineer. The only thing that i have heard about becoming one is that it is very hard. I have read on many sites that it is really good if you know someone high up in the company.

Connor002

allow me to join the group of hopeful future imagineers

i imagine it helps to have done the college program, as to show that you have some experience with the company, but i don't know what you need as far as degrees and majors

NowInc

First off..college. You really need to learn your stuff and be amazing at what you do. So a good degree of talent is of course also a requirement. They usually don't even consider anybody with less than 8 years of "in buisness" experience. Thats a loose term since in essence you really cant get "in buisness" (meaning theme park concept work) that easy...so what they mean by that is something related to what it is you want to do. Architectural design, story writing, janitorial services etc ;)

Ive heard of a few different angles involved for getting in to WDI..

First..as noted above...be the best at what you do. They seem to like that :)

Alternativly, you could start small. A few CMs have really worked hard and have grinded their way up (with a few brown nose moments im sure) to a position that opens the door to a possible interview with WDI (Yes, that was intended to sound like a long journey..cuz it is)

The best option Ive seen is to do internships and the college program. Get your name out there and it usually helps when you try and snag a position with them. This also shows some experience " in the field" which definatly isnt a bad thing.

Any good work history with Disney is definatly a plus..especially if you worked with WDFA at all (well..thats apparently not the best option anymore eh?).

WDI isnt what it used to be, in fact its a fraction of the greatness it once was. Far less employees and far less hiring. They dont really consider "Rookies" when it comes time to bring in a new member of the team (ever see a young imagineer?...not in the past few years im sure).

You dont have to be based out of Florida.

As an imagineer (as well as with ANY disney theme park position), yes...you get free access to the parks.

stitchcastle

I wanna be an Imagineer too! I'm studying animation right now and i'm hoping to work for disney, then when i've made the movies i wanna make i'll try to weasel my way into imagineering. :D

A guy can dream right?

WDWBro

stitchcastle said:
I wanna be an Imagineer too! I'm studying animation right now and i'm hoping to work for disney, then when i've made the movies i wanna make i'll try to weasel my way into imagineering. :D

A guy can dream right?

Just show them your ideas, and if they take them, just sue them and if you win, you must become an imagineer! :lol:

NowInc

ogryn said:
Corrus made a great post once, along the lines of:

"You don't find WDI. WDI finds you!"

yeah..thats pretty much how it works out. You get your name in there by applying and doing all sorts of stuff....when they want/need you..they come for you.

Tigger2000

do you think gettinga degree in graphics/graphic design would help? lol

I'm goin to art college for 4 years, doing 2 years multimedia, photography and fine art. and then 2 years doin a degree in graphics, which include 3d design and modelling...

WDWFREAK12

Original Poster
Yes, thank you very much for the info on immagineering but does any body know how to become an animal person in AK?

Dr.Seeker

Better add me to the list guys, lol. I read that imagineers come from many backgrounds, accounting, architecture, plumbing, electricians. My advice:be the best in your field.

NeXuS1000

stitchcastle said:

A guy can dream right?

At least you got the potential...

BTW, there's always the annual imagineering contest. Could perhaps be the best way in...

General Grizz

Be sure that you can apply your college majors to professions outside of WDI. Creative departments are never very predictable...

Good luck on your journies. :)

PinMadness

If you do the regular College Program, you'll get your foot in the door with the company. Once you have your foot in the door, you can do an Advanced Internship in the Imagineering Department. It's a new opportunity, so there's no much info on it yet, but keep your eyes peeled.

As stated before, there is no surefire way. I am an electrical engineer with a background in software. I happened to start a dsicussion with a manager in Imagineering while at a FIRST robotics event. He was enthused to meet me as he stated they had a great need for software engineers. In fact he was disappointed his co-worker wasn't there, because the co-worker was a software engineer and most likely would have gotten a feel if I was a good candidate. A mini-interview if you will. He was also dissapointed because there was an iron clad hiring freeze despite the desperate need for more software engineers. The best he was able to do was give me his card so that we could stay in touch. I sent correspondance a couple of times but have not heard anything of yet. Right now I am working a job rotation in Mexico. Maybe when I am done I will try and touch base again. The best thing to do is find a major you like and excell at it. Good luck.

Sora82

As much as I love Disney and have always wanted to be an imagineer, I'd be scared to be one now. Disney started with the animators, and look what happened to them. Half have gotten fired and they aren't allowed to make a decent movie anymore. I'm sure most of the imagineer's aren't far behind.

NowInc

Sora82 said:
As much as I love Disney and have always wanted to be an imagineer, I'd be scared to be one now. Disney started with the animators, and look what happened to them. Half have gotten fired and they aren't allowed to make a decent movie anymore. I'm sure most of the imagineer's aren't far behind.

What do you mean by "not allowed to make a decent movie"...kinda confused by that statement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom