Imagineer Harper Goff's Plans for EPCOT

EPCOTCenterLover

Original Poster
I just posted this HUGE piece of concept art for his ideas for the park. Look here. I think you'll love it- or hate it compared to what was eventually built.

ppete1975

so I see fantasmic in the corner.. the rest of it minus the water (and I'm not sure if its a rumor but part of the water we got was due to a sinkhole), the rest of it is cool but blah. I don't see the amazing one of a kind architecture that amazed and fantasized me the first time I saw it, and still takes my breath away. I think what made epcot great was the awe inspiring sights and the science feel of everything. I think this would have been more blah. But the world showcase changes I kind of like

EPCOTCenterLover

Original Poster
Could be- but they don't at all match up with the other ones I have. Almost 100% thinking it was an early EPCOT- but I've been wrong.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Looks like 8/1/81

60BBCF4E-CFEB-42F1-8D48-91A7474B27D4.jpeg

EPCOTCenterLover

Original Poster
I've written an addendum to the post, explaining the other options for what the design could be. And asking if anyone else has mew news. Thanks for the additional information, Martin. I'll have to look closer at the art I have for the Netherlands pavilion. Maybe its dated 1981 as well.

FettFan

I just posted this HUGE piece of concept art for his ideas for the park. Look here. I think you'll love it- or hate it compared to what was eventually built.

It actually looks more like the proposed California "WestCOT".
westcot1_illustrative.jpg

Notice the center island home of Space Station Earth and the position of the World Showcase countries....including a Russia Pavilion with a mockup of St. Basil's Cathedral.

Which was eventually scrapped in favor of California (mis)Adventure.
https://www.yesterland.com/westcot1.html

EDIT - Yeah, after looking at other concept art, I am convinced that what you found was an early prospectus for Disneyland's second gate.

westcot2_modeloverview.jpg

Last edited:

EPCOTCenterLover

Original Poster
Maybe you’re right but the Westcot art feels like an entirely different project. I don’t see any future world type stuff on it.

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
Wasn't Westcot's Future World supposed to be "underneath" the World Showcase? I may not be explaining it well, but wasn't SpaceStation Earth supposed to tower over the queues for the other attractions (ie. think like how can walk under Spaceship Earth to get on line to ride etc, but on a much larger scale.)

FettFan

Maybe you’re right but the Westcot art feels like an entirely different project. I don’t see any future world type stuff on it.

Actually I think we can confirm it thanks to @The Empress Lilly 's post with the Netherlands pavilion being viewed from the bridge.
Here is his drawing for that Netherlands pavilion, well looking away from it mostly:

View attachment 302734

In the concept art I posted (from Yesterland), you can see the same bridge and windmill on the left hand side.
It actually looks more like the proposed California "WestCOT".
westcot1_illustrative.jpg

And on the Goff concept drawing from your blog....I circled the windmill in yellow and the bridge in blue.

So this is clearly an early prospectus for WestCOT....only instead of Space Station Earth in the center, it looks like he was building parts of WestCOT World Showcase into.....a revised version of the the Progress City tower.
4562298-7823376-thumbnail.jpg

:D

Attachments

• westcotconcept.jpg
    westcotconcept.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom