Imagineer 99's Top Eleven Moments Trip Report! -- Brought to you by Kodak.

Alright folks, I just got back from ‘da world and I thought I’d do a brief trip-report for everybody who cares (all two of you ;))…

Well, I turned the big 2-1 over the weekend, and of course there’s no better place to spend a birthday than in Disney. To make this trip report a little different (and also mildly entertaining), I decided that I’d compile a top ten (err...make that eleven) list of the best parts of the trip. As we all know, everybody loves a countdown. Heck, that’s how VH1 and E! are still in business...

So, without further adieu:

I-99’s TOP ELEVEN MOMENTS OF HIS BIRTHDAY TRIP 2006

11.) New Maps!
I’ve been collecting Disney Maps for a while now. So, I was a little skeptical about these new fangled park maps I’ve been reading about. At first glance they seem like a downgrade—text is smaller, descriptions less detailed, and the pretty pictures are reduced. But, they get the thumbs-up from me strictly for one reason—easy to fold. No longer do I have to spend three and half hours trying to figure out how to fold a darn map. Instead, I can devote my time to other paper folding techniques—like the creation of origami cranes.

10.) Gorillas!

I spent a good deal of time at Animal Kingdom this trip. This was partly because of Everest (see #3), but also because of our fellow opposable-thumbed creatures, the gorillas. After exiting Kilmanjaro safari in the morning, I stopped and stared as these beauties went through the morning motions. One gorilla was even using a bucket constructively to collect water and cool himself off. Fascinating! And, to think I didn’t even need a fastpass.

gorilla_ak.jpg

9.) Frozone!
“The Incredibles” is probably one of my favorite Disney-Pixar films. So, after I watched the mediocre, scaled down imagination tour (hard to have a tour when you lay all your animators off :(), I was quickly greeted to some of the incredibles characters to boost the excitement meter. After snapping some shots with Mr. Incredible and Elastigirl (MILF!), I saw Frozone ready to get in on the photo madness. He was a great character. And, his costume rocked. He even had a nifty stamp to automatically sign an autograph book because apparently his giant rubber gloves make gripping a sharpie impossible. Now that’s what I call a superhero!

frozone.jpg

8.) Pirates of the Caribbean—New and Improved!
I may have thought the second pirate movie was pretty bad (heck, it was awful). But, I am happy to report that I have given the ride redo a much more positive review. The Davey Jones effect is neat (it really does look like water!). Also, I thought the Depp animatronics were very well done—especially in the final treasure vault scene. I will admit that the ride seems heavily focused on Sparrow, but he’s a popular character. Disney’s gotta’ give the public what they want.

7.) IllumiNations!
I’ve seen this Epcot nighttime spectacular too many times to count. Nevertheless, it still kicks butt. World Showcase at night is quite possibly the most relaxing place in the world. Lights dim. Torches burn. And, the best music ever composed in the history of erm…musical composing…blasts from speakers. Sure, Wishes may have a more impressive arsenal of fireworks, but IllumiNations, with its incredible score and dazzling synchronization is by far the winner. Not to mention, as you stake out your spot for the show, you get to do amuse yourself by watching other people. This of course brings us to the sixth best part of my trip…

illuminations2.jpg

imagineer99

Original Poster
6.) People Watching!
People Watching is so entertaining I swear that Disney should offer a fastpass for it. You get to watch kids reveling in the Disney magic. Brazilian tour groups screaming loud and incomprehensible words. It’s like a cornucopia of free entertainment. Whether people are wondering why Spiderman isn’t in the magic kingdom or pontificating on the nutritional benefits of a turkey leg, people watching is an attraction in itself.

5.) ABBA Cover Bands!
Apparently EPCOT does this really cool summer concert series at the America Garden Theatre in front of the American Adventure. I had no idea. Luckily, we got some ABBA cover band. Surprisingly, they were really good. There’s just nothing quite like watching an overweight man shimmy and shaking his money maker to the sounds of “Dancing Queen.” Not to mention, I developed a serious crush on the dark-haired female lead singer. Below you see her in action. Go Sweden!
abba.jpg

4.) Turtle Talk with Crush!
I don’t know why the idea of animated character that can react in real-time impresses me so much. But, if I can’t pinpoint my amazement, I can express my enjoyment of Turtle Talk. This was my second viewing of the show, and it’s still amazing. The best moment is watching people’s reactions (especially the usually jaded parents) when they realize that what they are watching isn’t a movie—instead it’s happening at that very moment. Yes, the theatre is small. But, as a whole it’s easily my favorite form of technology to come out of Imagineering in the past 10 years. I’m real excited to see how the new monster’s Inc. show utilizes it.

3.) Expedition: Everest!
I forced myself not to spoil this attraction prior to riding it for the first time. I avoided ride videos. I tried not to look at pictures. It was hard, but well worth it. After riding the coaster twice (once standby and once by fastpass), I declare it the best new coaster at WDW. Eat that Rock ‘N’ Rollercoaster! I love the steam effect. I loved the backwards portion. I loved the drop. And, most of all, I loved me some of that hot yeti-animatronic action—he was working perfectly during both rides. Everest is just the type of big attraction that Animal Kingdom needed. As a result, the park is quickly becoming one of my favorites. It now has what I call a brilliant E-ticket trifecta’ (Everest, Kilmanjaro, and Dinosaur) and some great shows (Festival of the Lion King and Flights of Wonder). In the words of fatboy slim, Animal Kingdom, “You’ve come a long way baby!” Below you see FotLK in action.
fotlk.jpg

2.) The Dolphin Hotel!
My family got a great wdwmagic rate at the Dolphin. At first, I was skeptical—after all it isn’t exactly run by Disney. Nevertheless, the experience was equal and perhaps even exceeded that of any Disney deluxe. The pool area was great (they show Disney movies at night on a large screen by the pool’s waterfall that you can watch while floating in inner tubes. How cool is that? It’s like a floating drive-in.). The restaurants were nice. The room was sweet. And to top it off, it’s got the best location on Disney property. Walking to Epcot and MGM is a cinch. Nothing beats walking back from IllumiNations, strolling on Disney’s Boardwalk, and then leisurely on to your hotel. Amazingly, you also still get the annoying Stacy doing that top-seven “must-see” thing on one of your channels at the hotel. So, not only do you get that great Disney feeling, you get to ponder on how much you miss the old “Zip-a-de-dooh-dah TIP FOR TODAY” jingle!

1.)Cinderella’s Royal Table!
Yeah, it’s probably a big cop-out to put a meal at good ‘ole Cindy’s restaurant at the top spot. But, gosh darn it, was it fun! Sure, I may be too old for this type of thing, but eating in a friggin’ castle while being called a “lord” was for lack of a better word—magical. The food wasn’t spectacular, but as soon as the fairy godmother began to wish me a personal happy birthday, I knew that Disney still has that touch. I’m 21 years old and I felt five again. And, that ladies and germs is Disney magic. :)

Hope you enjoyed the list. I could go on and on, but I’ll spare you the rambling. Also, I won’t bore anybody with the top eleven worst moments of the trip, either. ;) It was truly a great trip, and as always, I can’t wait to go back.

Here's me and goofy on my Birthday!
goofy_me.jpg

DisneyRoxMySox

Great Report! Nice pictures too! I am glad you and your family had a blast and you felt like you were five, that's what Disney is all about isn't it? :p
There is nothing like celebrating a birthday in the world!!

Where did you take that picture with Goofy?

CaptainMichael

Hmm...which park is the bottom button from? I don't recognize it.

And, how dare you mention Elastagirl and not post a picture of her!?:lol: :hammer:

imagineer99

Original Poster
DisneyRoxMySox said:
Where did you take that picture with Goofy?

The EPCOT character connection. It's in the building across from Innoventions West.

SSTR8FAN2005 said:
Hmm...which park is the bottom button from? I don't recognize it.

The top botton I'm wearing is from EPCOT. The bottom is the "four parks" birthday button that they give out at all four of the theme parks for birthdays. By the end of the trip, I was wearing so many buttons, I felt like a friggin' general.

CaptainMichael

imagineer99 said:
The top botton I'm wearing is from EPCOT. The bottom is the "four parks" birthday button that they give out at all four of the theme parks for birthdays. By the end of the trip, I was wearing so many buttons, I felt like a friggin' general.
hmmm..I never got that one. I have MK, AK, and Epcot.

dxwwf3

I agree with you on EE completely. I think it is one of the best at WDW. And the ride is unbelieveable at night. I have found that it gets even better on repeat rides and each row gives you a different experience.

Our family has thought about staying at the Swolphin ever since they have announced their special teacher rates, but we just can't make ourselves go there. The big advantage for us would be the bigger and nicer beds, but other than that, I'd just as soon stay at Pop Century than any other resort on property. I feel in love with that place on my last trip. I think we might go for the Swan next time because it feels more casual and less ritzy than the Dolphin. Good to hear your reccomendation though.

Still haven't made it to Turtle Talk and after watching videos online, I still scratch my head to see why people like it so much, but I'm sure I'll see it some time in the future just because I'm a completist :lol:. Maybe it is one of those things you just "have to be there" to enjoy and I expect it could be.

And yes I think this style of maps is the best Disney has ever done. I've got bags and bags of them and none of them are quite as handy as this design.

Glad to hear you had a good time :wave:

imagineer99

Original Poster

Best combination of words this side of Gi-normous...;)

dxwwf3 said:
Still haven't made it to Turtle Talk and after watching videos online, I still scratch my head to see why people like it so much, but I'm sure I'll see it some time in the future just because I'm a completist :lol:. Maybe it is one of those things you just "have to be there" to enjoy and I expect it could be.

Well, granted it is a pretty basic show. But, the idea of communicating with an animated character--one that responds accurately in real time--just fascinates me. I truly have no idea how they coordinate the animation so well and so fluidly with the actor who provides the voice. And, the reaction of people (especially parents) when they realize the show isn't "predone" is priceless.

SewIn2Disney

1.)Cinderella’s Royal Table!
Yeah, it’s probably a big cop-out to put a meal at good ‘ole Cindy’s restaurant at the top spot. But, gosh darn it, was it fun! Sure, I may be too old for this type of thing, but eating in a friggin’ castle while being called a “lord” was for lack of a better word—magical. The food wasn’t spectacular, but as soon as the fairy godmother began to wish me a personal happy birthday, I knew that Disney still has that touch. I’m 21 years old and I felt five again. And, that ladies and germs is Disney magic. :)

Hope you enjoyed the list. I could go on and on, but I’ll spare you the rambling. Also, I won’t bore anybody with the top eleven worst moments of the trip, either. ;) It was truly a great trip, and as always, I can’t wait to go back.

[/IMG]

Great to hear that! I'm going to Cindy's castle for my 23rd birthday next week! And, you can even get Stacey the great at most off-property hotels and time shares in the area! Isn't that most excellent? (I actually like watching her....I have the video on my iPod!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom