I'm retiring from runDisney - for a great reason!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I honestly don't know what it's going to look like. There are fewer start group areas vs corrals for the 10k and half. 4 "start groups" vs corrals A-G (or more). All I ask is for people to pack their patience & understanding ESPECIALLY for wine/dine weekend

Quite honestly it sounds mostly like someone wanted to make it seem like they have changed things, but it is really just nomenclature. So now instead of corrals and « arbitrary » waves, there are start groups officially broken down into smaller, numbered waves.

RunningKoen

I had a great time working this weekend. I worked a LOT of different positions to get a feel for everything. I can't wait to do it all again in January...except the lack of sleep!!
You will probably be busy again with the marathon weekend, but please tell me (us) more!

what is the thing that suprised you most during your shifts? What things did you do or are part of the process that you never knew? how is the organisation as a whole? can you even share everything? what are the nice and not so nice behaviors of runners while you're witnessing them as ' guest'?

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
You will probably be busy again with the marathon weekend, but please tell me (us) more!

what is the thing that suprised you most during your shifts? What things did you do or are part of the process that you never knew? how is the organisation as a whole? can you even share everything? what are the nice and not so nice behaviors of runners while you're witnessing them as ' guest'?

Great questions - let me think back to Wine/Dine weekend....

One thing that surprised me: how MANY people (not all Disney staff) are involved on race mornings before runners get there. It ORGANIZED chaos starting HOURS beforehand. There are a LOT of volunteers and TrackShack staff that I assumed were Disney cast.

We had no idea what we were going to be doing prior to 5k morning. I got to part of the very 1st start group to cross the start line 5k morning - I was holding the "ribbon of destiny" for the very 1st runners. It was a moment for me.

Organization as a whole is slowly getting back to what it was pre-pandemic. The core rD staff I'm sure lost a bunch of members as a result of covid/cuts. My team is a brand new/experimental team for this run season and I think marathon is going to be better organized both internally and externally than wine/dine.

I can't share everything to risk getting in trouble. We're also not told a whole LOT prior to race weekend except what we need to know to do, and get to our jobs.

I didn't notice any bad behavior per-se runner-wise. Most were so happy to be running in person again. HOWEVER - once you cross the finish line - get out of the finish chute. You can NOT wait for your friends, family, etc. to cross while you're in the chute - get your runner box, medal, etc and GET OUT - I had to keep prodding people to keep moving. It's a safety-issue as it gets VERY congested in there.

Best moment from wine/dine weekend - working the finish line chute, ESPECIALLY for some of the last runners to cross. It was emotional at times seeing runners faces when they finished their races. I am hoping to be schedule late for Marathon day. I want to be there for some of the last finishers

OG Runner

I had a great time working this weekend. I worked a LOT of different positions to get a feel for everything. I can't wait to do it all again in January...except the lack of sleep!!

So happy you had such a great experience! Let’s hope the early mornings in January are a smidge warmer - or at least less windy!
Hi! It was great to meet you after the 5k. The weekend went well. A bit hard on new 5k runners with the walk from the buses, the long time in the Corrales and the the equally long walk back to the buses. The marathon actually went off smoother.

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Hi! It was great to meet you after the 5k. The weekend went well. A bit hard on new 5k runners with the walk from the buses, the long time in the Corrales and the the equally long walk back to the buses. The marathon actually went off smoother.

I prefer the new security measures (going through the scanners vs bag check) but the additional walking is ROUGH. The walk-out to EPCOT Center drive for the half and full is a lot too but what can you do?

JillC LI

I AM A CASTMEMBER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got hired to work seasonally for runDisney!!

That means early retirement for me from running (in Florida - hello Paris??)

Here's a link to the job (if anyone else is interested) and the job description

Attractions (run Disney) Seasonal Cast Members are focused on the safety of our Guest while creating a magical experience throughout their stay. Attractions (runDisney) Seasonal Cast Members are responsible for engaging Guests, prepping for races, distributing race material, delivering narrations of varying lengths in front of large groups and providing audience control in various weather conditions.
The Attractions (runDisney) Seasonal Cast Member will be required to attend a two (2) day training during the time period from 10/21/2021-10/24/2021.
The Attractions (runDisney) Seasonal will be required to have full availability for race/event weekends:
• Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend: 11/4/2021-11/7/2021
• Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend: 01/05/2022-01/09/2022
• Princess Half Marathon Weekend: 02/24/2022-02/27/2022
• Spring Event: 03/31/2022-04/03/2022
• Cheer Event: Weekend availability 03/2022-04/2022
WOWWWWWW!

camrynlilly

I AM A CASTMEMBER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got hired to work seasonally for runDisney!!

That means early retirement for me from running (in Florida - hello Paris??)

Here's a link to the job (if anyone else is interested) and the job description

Attractions (run Disney) Seasonal Cast Members are focused on the safety of our Guest while creating a magical experience throughout their stay. Attractions (runDisney) Seasonal Cast Members are responsible for engaging Guests, prepping for races, distributing race material, delivering narrations of varying lengths in front of large groups and providing audience control in various weather conditions.
The Attractions (runDisney) Seasonal Cast Member will be required to attend a two (2) day training during the time period from 10/21/2021-10/24/2021.
The Attractions (runDisney) Seasonal will be required to have full availability for race/event weekends:
• Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend: 11/4/2021-11/7/2021
• Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend: 01/05/2022-01/09/2022
• Princess Half Marathon Weekend: 02/24/2022-02/27/2022
• Spring Event: 03/31/2022-04/03/2022
• Cheer Event: Weekend availability 03/2022-04/2022
That’s so awesome! I just applied for this role yesterday and hoping to get it. How do you like it?? This would work perfect for me since I’m in Orlando in winters only!

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
That’s so awesome! I just applied for this role yesterday and hoping to get it. How do you like it?? This would work perfect for me since I’m in Orlando in winters only!
I like it because you know MONTHS in advance when you have to work...and it's fun! I HATE it because I had to retire from runDisney. I'm hoping to run Dopey in 2026 which means I'll have to (temporarily) leave the team.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom