I'm Going To Mary Poppins!!!!!

tink rules

Original Poster
I'm sure this goes in another place... but I couldn't figure out where....

I'm just SO happy!!! I just got my tickets for Mary Poppins on Broadway!!! :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Has anyone seen it in London yet????

I hear it's the next Lion King.

Chape19714

My friend just saw London's and said it was well...Super(califraglilisticexpialdocious). :lol: Just keep in mind that although it's the same charactors and some of the same songs (although alterted), it is a COMPLETELY different story. There's no "animated" sequence, Jolly Holiday is very different, and the songs are in a much differnent order than the movie, along with many new songs.

Enjoy! O, and I don't like you...I've wanted to go for so long....it's not fair! Ok, well I don't hate you, I'm just jelious.

RonAnnArbor

There is actually a forum for entertainment -- but YEAH! I loved the show in London so much I went back and saw it again the following night. It is far and away one of the best shows out there right now. I had a hard time deciding which I liked best - Mary Poppins since I loved everything about it, or Billy Elliott, which in all honesty is one of the best musicals I've ever seen (and I've seen hundreds, being a theatre director). Enjoy the show when you see it, and be sure to post your opinions afterwards!

Chape19714

There is actually a forum for entertainment -- but YEAH! I loved the show in London so much I went back and saw it again the following night. It is far and away one of the best shows out there right now. I had a hard time deciding which I liked best - Mary Poppins since I loved everything about it, or Billy Elliott, which in all honesty is one of the best musicals I've ever seen (and I've seen hundreds, being a theatre director). Enjoy the show when you see it, and be sure to post your opinions afterwards!
Can you belive that the New York version has cut Temper, Temper! That's an outrage! It was one of the coolest songs! that makes me mad! :mad:

1stStarIC2nite

WHAT!?!? They cut Temper, Temper!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!! I was going to see it JUST for that scene!!! It's one of the best broadway songs and I can't believe they cut it... probably just because it's too intense/scary

Chape19714

WHAT!?!? They cut Temper, Temper!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!! I was going to see it JUST for that scene!!! It's one of the best broadway songs and I can't believe they cut it... probably just because it's too intense/scary
It's a great piece of music, but it has unfortunately been cut. It makes me mad too!

I do like Supercali, espically with the spellings! :lol: All and all it's a good show, but I disagree with the US cutting Temper.

barnum42

Has anyone seen it in London yet????

I hear it's the next Lion King.
It received it's premiere in Bristol and ran here for about eight weeks before heading to London.

It's very good, but it's not the next Lion King. There is nothing original about the stage production of Mary Poppins. It's a very well produced piece of theatre, but unlike Lion King it does nothing new from a production / design stand point that we've not seen before.

It's a great night out and you will have a blast.

RonAnnArbor

I dunno - mixed feelings on Temper Temper...it was a cute song, and it is hardly as "scary/intense" as some have made it out to be -- and the number came and went and came back again during previews of Mary Poppins in the UK -- but some might recall that a show as innocent as "Meet Me In St Louis" eventually cut the "Goblins and Ghosties" number into the run. Mary Poppins runs almost three hours right now in London - American audiences (especially if you are bringing kids) expect 2 to 2 and 1/2 at the outside. I wonder if they will make any other significant cuts -- I could easily see Brimstone and Treacle also being cut.

Chape19714

I dunno - mixed feelings on Temper Temper...it was a cute song, and it is hardly as "scary/intense" as some have made it out to be -- and the number came and went and came back again during previews of Mary Poppins in the UK -- but some might recall that a show as innocent as "Meet Me In St Louis" eventually cut the "Goblins and Ghosties" number into the run. Mary Poppins runs almost three hours right now in London - American audiences (especially if you are bringing kids) expect 2 to 2 and 1/2 at the outside. I wonder if they will make any other significant cuts -- I could easily see Brimstone and Treacle also being cut.
No WAY! Brimstone and Treacle is critical to the story, besides it a great way to explain why Mr. Banks is so grumpy and how Mary Poppins had an opera duel with Ms. Andrews.

tink rules

Original Poster
First off.... IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII won a bet and got to choose the show (I am meeting my best friend who I have known since I was one yr old...) so I'm hoping it really good. He's a theater freak so I think he will like it. (he gets to choose where we eat before the show...) (which might be a good thing just in case he doesn't like it....)

He wrote and asked if Mary Poppins wears anything under the "trench coat" (his words...) - told him it's not a trench coat and if she flies... (does she????) only the people in the orchestra (not me... 2nd row Mezz) will know the truth!!!

Thanks for letting me know it's not the same as the movie... it seems more complex - probably closer to the actual story than the movie (anyone???).

Tigger1988

How did you get so lucky??? Remember to check back and write a review!!

We found out in one of Disney's e-mail newsletters, I'm thinking it was DVC related, there was a presale and we got tix up in the balcony. I will make sure to write a review for you guys!

RonAnnArbor

Yes, she wears a dress similar to the one in the movie through most of the show (Blue with white apron and trim) The trenchcoat appears in a few scenes here and there, not througout. Yes she does fly and everyone will see it in the entire house. The special effects are not subtle. For more than that, you will just have to see the show and experience the magic. But more than the flying, the piece-de-resistance of stagecraft in the show is Bert's tap dance during Step in Time in which he dances up the stage left proscenium, across the top of the proscenium arch tapdancing upside down, then back down the stage right proscenium -- total show stopper.

tink rules

Original Poster
If you like traditional theatre and Mary Poppins, then you will enjoy it :D

Oh....... I HOPE SO!!!! I'm not worried about me....I have Disney in my blood!!! It's my friend who is the theater freak so I hope it works out!!! (otherwise I owe him his choice of show next!!!)

(I got it because Wicked was sold out and I didn't want to go see his second choice - which I don't even remember what it was!!!)

A woman in his office spotted him looking at the link I had sent him and started to go a bit crazy over it...soo either he really wants to see the show, or he has a thing for the woman in his office!!! :lol:

barnum42

Oh....... I HOPE SO!!!! I'm not worried about me....I have Disney in my blood!!! It's my friend who is the theater freak so I hope it works out!!! (otherwise I owe him his choice of show next!!!)
If he likes well produced traditional theatre he will enjoy it. If he's going expecting something new like Lion King then from that aspect he may be a little disappointed from that aspect, but the show itself is still good enough to not let that spoil the evening.

Legacy

Yes, she wears a dress similar to the one in the movie through most of the show (Blue with white apron and trim) The trenchcoat appears in a few scenes here and there, not througout. Yes she does fly and everyone will see it in the entire house. The special effects are not subtle. For more than that, you will just have to see the show and experience the magic. But more than the flying, the piece-de-resistance of stagecraft in the show is Bert's tap dance during Step in Time in which he dances up the stage left proscenium, across the top of the proscenium arch tapdancing upside down, then back down the stage right proscenium -- total show stopper.

That, right there, is the only reason why I would want to beat the show.

Mary Poppins is hard pressed to beat The Wedding Singer as my favorite musical.

Legacy

If he likes well produced traditional theatre he will enjoy it. If he's going expecting something new like Lion King then from that aspect he may be a little disappointed from that aspect, but the show itself is still good enough to not let that spoil the evening.
That's what I was expecting from Tarzan and I left disappointed. Not because of the technical aspects, those where amazing... the show just wasn't that good though.

Mary Poppins has the advantage of Cameron Makintosh... he doesn't let crap get to the public.

(Except MobyDick3-D)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom