Pre-Trip I'm Back!! Short December 2021 Trip

Hello everyone!!!! I think it's been about a year since I've visited the forums and I've missed all of your trip reports. I have had to reschedule multiple trips over the last couple of years because of moving, health, new jobs, pandemic, sick pets, pet sitters falling through, etc. It just got to the point of where I was like "screw it" I'm not even going to try to Disney any time soon. But a good friend took pity on me after I had to cancel yet another trip that was supposed to be next month (we haven't had a vacation since our last trip in April/May 2019). She is going to travel a couple of hours and work remotely just to house/pet sit for us. I'm still paranoid that something will happen to cancel this trip but I went ahead and bought plane tickets. That's just how hopeful - or desperate - for a vacation I actually am at this point LOL. This trip will be very different than any we've done in the past. For one, we're going in December, which I've never done before (anyone have good packing tips?). I'm so excited to see everything for the 50th and the Christmas decorations. Although, I sure do wish I could see Cinderella's Castle decked out in all of the lights. Another HUGE difference is that it will be the shortest trip we've done. We're leaving on a Sunday morning and flying back on a Wednesday evening. In some ways, I'm more stressed planning a shorter trip. There's too many variables - such as Genie+. Because the trip is so short, I decided to pay the crazy Very Merriest After Hours prices and got tickets for Sunday. Fingers crossed JetBlue doesn't mess up the flights - I had a horrible time finding direct flights that worked with my friend's schedule and ours. We're currently booked at Port Orleans Riverside but I'll switch it if French Quarter opens up. We're going to focus Monday and Tuesday on Hollywood Studios to see Galaxy's Edge and Epcot for their Festival of the Holidays. I've watched plenty of Molly @ Allears YouTube videos to try to stay current on everything happening in Disney but I would love to hear any of yall's suggestions and tips! Anyone else planning on being at Disney in the middle of December? The pandemic has turned me into the hermit I always suspected I could be LOL. I think I've turned feral yall and have forgotten how to interact with a larger public :) I'll update as I get more details planned and finalized.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Can you not book the processional by phone like you can with most dining? I had issues with my last trip with the site being finicky and I just called the dining line and they made all my ADRs for me. You might call and see if you can switch to Rose and Crown for the day you want? Or do you have to pay in advance like hoopdeedoo? If you do, is it refundable or can you change it without a fee?
I tried the phone it was a two hour wait. And it is all sold out so I don’t think I would have much luck. We do like the Biergarten so it isn’t too much of a hardship. 🙂 And we didn’t have to prepay for the package.

LeighM

Original Poster
I tried the phone it was a two hour wait. And it is all sold out so I don’t think I would have much luck. We do like the Biergarten so it isn’t too much of a hardship. 🙂 And we didn’t have to prepay for the package.

Later that week, I tried calling with a problem I had with dining and I couldn't even get into the queue lol. For over an hour, I kept getting the all circuits are busy beeps.

Megbutnotmegan

I was so frustrated because that was our morning to book all our ADRs! So many error codes. We ended up getting a lot of stuff we wanted in the end but no CP. I just can’t do Biergarten :hungover:

LeighM

Original Poster
I was so frustrated because that was our morning to book all our ADRs! So many error codes. We ended up getting a lot of stuff we wanted in the end but no CP. I just can’t do Biergarten :hungover:
Oh no! I've experienced that during past trips and it's not a fun way to start off vacation. What did you not like about Biergarten? I was able to snag a reservation but I'm not totally committed to it yet. I want to experience the theming, etc inside the restaurant esp during the holidays but besides watching some YouTube videos, I don't know much about the food.

Megbutnotmegan

Oh no! I've experienced that during past trips and it's not a fun way to start off vacation. What did you not like about Biergarten? I was able to snag a reservation but I'm not totally committed to it yet. I want to experience the theming, etc inside the restaurant esp during the holidays but besides watching some YouTube videos, I don't know much about the food.
Well it’s probably just a me thing but my parents took us there on our first Disney trip. I didn’t enjoy it at all and 29 years later I’m just not over the trauma of being told a bratwurst is just like a hotdog 😂

LeighM

Original Poster
Well it’s probably just a me thing but my parents took us there on our first Disney trip. I didn’t enjoy it at all and 29 years later I’m just not over the trauma of being told a bratwurst is just like a hotdog 😂

Trauma? Trauma is being in a seafood restaurant and being handed something to try that your Mom tells you is a chicken leg and IT'S NOT A CHICKEN LEG!!! I may have been young but I knew that won't no chicken after just one bite LOL. Never again did I eat a frog leg. And after that I never trusted my Mom again when she handed me anything to eat, not even 30 years later 😂 Some things you just can't forget lol.

LeighM

Original Poster
I've lost all excitement about this trip. I hope the planning brings some pixie dust to help me feel good about it. My 18 year old cat declined rapidly bc of cancer and I lost him on Friday. He was my Mom's bottle fed furbaby and my last tangible link to her. And the day he died was also my deceased grandmother's bday and the anniversary of my closest uncle's death. I just have another reason to hate Nov 5th! So I'm now down to one 15 yr old dog who has Cushings and pancreatitis since our other 16 year old cat died in April. I'm trying to tell myself that I'm only going to be gone 3 nights and he will be fine. But anxiety and paranoia is taking control. I'm glad that my friend is watching him bc I completely trust her. If it was a stranger from Rover, I would definitely be cancelling. But my husband and I really need this mental break and I'm still trying to make it fun for him. I just wish I could have a Disney trip again that has no death or drama attached. I think the only time I experienced that was in either 2014 or 2015.....

Wicked Sisters

In the Parks
No
We feel so sorry and sad for you at the loss of your precious cat. We lost our fur baby Simba this year and we still miss him so much. I hope the excitement comes back with planning this trip and you enjoy your deserved three days of magic.

LeighM

Original Poster
Sending positive vibes your way! Hang in there and you will get through it!

We feel so sorry and sad for you at the loss of your precious cat. We lost our fur baby Simba this year and we still miss him so much. I hope the excitement comes back with planning this trip and you enjoy your deserved three days of magic.

Thank you and I'm so sorry for your loss It's always hard when you lose a beloved pet but losing Littles is especially painful for me because he was my last link to my mom. After her death, he really became my cat. He would sleep with me and hold my hand. Wake me up with his paw on my face bc he knew I hated it lol. At least I can take comfort in knowing they're together again. He came into her life after our last dog died and I was away at college. She even gave him my initials :rolleyes: He was my first cat and the longest lived pet. I'm very thankful to have had him for as long as I did. If I get pets again, I'm going to make sure to stagger their ages because them getting sick and dying around the same time is horrible.

Wicked Sisters

In the Parks
No
We only had Simba for six months. We adopted him from a family who didn’t look after him so well. He was 11 years old but became ill after 5 months with Cardiomyopathy and died a month later. At least he had six months of pure happiness just as we did.

LeighM

Original Poster
We only had Simba for six months. We adopted him from a family who didn’t look after him so well. He was 11 years old but became ill after 5 months with Cardiomyopathy and died a month later. At least he had six months of pure happiness just as we did.

That's so sad!!! You can definitely take comfort in knowing you gave him 6 months of love. Mom and I once rescued an HIV positive stray from a storm drain next to a busy highway. Luckily, he and Littles gave each other space and there were never any fights after we got them acclimated. He didn't have very long either but you could tell how thankful he was to be fed, clean, and happy. Every thunderstorm, he looked up to see if he would get wet but then he realized he was inside and slept comfortably. I'm sure Simba had a similar reassurance. Animals know.

LeighM

Original Poster
The menus for the holiday kitchens were released today and I'm not sure how I'm going to eat all of the food I want to try into one day. I might have to try moving Boma dinner to Tuesday LOL. There's more good savory options than I was expecting so I might have to skip the Cookie Stroll and put that money into other items instead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom