I'm A Believer: The New System Works

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
..... because everyone wants to plan out their vacation to the 9th detail six months in advance.....
Hey, I agree with you and I don't like it either.

This thread is designed to give credit to them for implementing a system that addresses the issue of overcrowding. The problem is, it's their fault the parks are too crowded.

I commend them for designing a system that's easy for guests, gives them the analytics they want, and actually works. I criticize them for letting it get to this point.

I also think the system only works to a point. I haven't see it in action during the most crowded times and they'll have to build out the parks at some point. You can't just manage crowds forever.

PhotoDave219

Hey, I agree with you and I don't like it either.

This thread is designed to give credit to them for implementing a system that addresses the issue of overcrowding. The problem is, it's their fault the parks are too crowded.

I commend them for designing a system that's easy for guests, gives them the analytics they want, and actually works. I criticize them for letting it get to this point.

I also think the system only works to a point. I haven't see it in action during the most crowded times and they'll have to build out the parks at some point. You can't just manage crowds forever.

You don't want to see it in action when the crowd is hitting peak levels.

PhotoDave219

I think they must be able to tweak it so it at least works if you have a Fast Pass for the a ride. It also still facilitates park entry, payment, and meal plan allotments.

My issue continues to be that they got suckered by some consultants.

They system needed the infrastructure upgrades desperately.... And that was way behind the times.

The system did not need people being able to make FP reservations six months out - two weeks would have been fine, but then they couldn't tweak labor projections to maximize profits.

As for the payment/meal plan/park entry? They took the Key To The World (KTTW) and put it on a wristband. It existed beforehand....

I'll even give you that making it so you can book dining reservations from your phone was genius. Long overdue IMO.

Adding in fastpass was a mistake. Instead of people running to get FP at rope drop, you have people online six months out doing the same thing.... But behind a computer.

Last edited:

aandmmagiccarpetride

I have been a long naysayer and halfway supporter of the new MagicBands and FastPass+ but I have to eat my words. The system today is outstanding and works amazingly well.

With the recent update to allow real time additions to Fast Pass from the app, this is the perfect system.

We planned our trip only ~3 weeks in advance and were able to plan our 3 Fast Passes for everything we wanted pretty easily. New times are constantly opening up if you weren't able to get the most popular attractions like 7DMT, Toy Story, etc.

As many of you know, if you finish your 3 planned Fast Pass early in the day, you have the ability to get one at a time at any park as long as there is availability. From our experience (granted it was late April) there was always something we wanted to do. We must have used 8-10 Fast Passes per day and never waited anymore than 10 minutes in any line. The game changer is that you can do it from the app and get any ride, anywhere on property. No more running to the ride.

It's not just good for Fast Pass. The system seems completely stable, fast, and error-free. Park entry is WAY faster now. We had 0 issues the entire time. It worked every time with our meal plan, flawlessly. It seems quicker than ever before. The app is awesome. Tap to pay is awesome.

Disney is definitely going to get the data they want, which is the real goal. I'm fine with that. They can track everything: your habits, spending behavior, length of time spent in different areas, etc. It's limitless. They even integrate your name on rides like Small World and Haunted Mansion, giving you a personal touch.

I'm not sure it was worth billions, but I see this as only the beginning. They've basically fixed the waiting in line issues (although I haven't tried this at peak times at WDW). The convenience factor is awesome. This integrated system for paying, meal plan, fast pass, room entry, etc and seeing everything real time on the app is a game changer.

I'd like to see them add meal plan allotments somewhere on the app. I'm sure there are a ton of enhancements coming and I'm looking forward to it.
I completely agree 100%! We experienced fast pass + and my disney experience for the first time on our last trip in October and every feature worked perfectly for us. This October we will be able to experience the new changes/upgrades and I expect nothing but an even better experience!

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
My issue continues to be that they got suckered by some consultants.

They system needed the infrastructure upgrades desperately.... And that was way behind the times.

The system did not need people being able to make FP reservations six months out - two weeks would have been fine, but then they couldn't tweak labor projections to maximize profits.

As for the payment/meal plan/park entry? They took the Key To The World (KTTW) and put it on a wristband. It existed beforehand....

I'll even give you that making it so you can book dining reservations from your phone was genius. Long overdue IMO.

Adding in fastpass was a mistake. Instead of people running to get FP at rope drop, you have people online six months out doing the same thing.... But behind a computer.
But there is 0 downside to doing it behind a computer and a ton of openings that make it unnecessary to do 6 months out. Unless the system fails at peak times because there aren't times available unless you go 6 months out, I think it's a plus for the guest.

I believe they can tweak the system to make it work better during peak times too. As I said, you'll ultimately have to stop letting people in and then I think the system is great. It's not the system's fault if they constantly allow the parks to be overcrowded.

PhotoDave219

But there is 0 downside to doing it behind a computer and a ton of openings that make it unnecessary to do 6 months out. Unless the system fails at peak times because there aren't times available unless you go 6 months out, I think it's a plus for the guest.

I believe they can tweak the system to make it work better during peak times too. As I said, you'll ultimately have to stop letting people in and then I think the system is great. It's not the system's fault if they constantly allow the parks to be overcrowded.

...... Yeah, there's something wrong with planning six months out.

It's guests who don't decide to go six months out. Not everyone plans their life that way.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
...... Yeah, there's something wrong with planning six months out.

It's guests who don't decide to go six months out. Not everyone plans their life that way.
I agree. I was at Disney so many times when there used to be very little you could plan. "OH SPACE MOUNTAIN ONLY 20 MIN!!" And get in line and watch Mario Lopez on SMTV. There was some charm in that.

Wdw62114

..... because everyone wants to plan out their vacation to the 9th detail six months in advance.....

Oh just wait until the next MM+ enhancement! When that launches, you will have to pick your actual meal choice from the menu 6 months in advance on the dining reservation.

doctornick

The system was expensive, but people seem to think this $2b was either going to be on this new system or $2b in new rides and park expansion.

That was never going to happen. This $2b was most likely going to IT infrastructure and other non park related items regardless of how they spent it.

The current leadership is all about expansion outside WDW (Replicating the cash cow that is WDW) and increasing guest spend.

That's the thing. Even if there wasn't some new fangled sparkly named "My Magic" with all in one wristbands, there would have still be a crapload of money spent at some point at WDW to improve the tech infrastructure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom