Illuminations-what's the big deal?

Ariel17

We always go to Iluminations the first night we're there. Dad and I have a thing for great music, and this is some of the best music either of us have ever heard. So I'd say it's the music, combined with the fireworks. :)

Redvette

Illuminations, Illuminations 2000, and Illuminations ROE, are all collectively, the best things ever at WDW, in my opinion. I always had mixed emotions as they changed the shows, always in the back of my mind thinking that I would like to see the "old" shows, but at the same time thoroughly enjoying the new one. The current show is so good however, that during a week at the world I will go see it 4 or 5 times, nothing else at WDW beckons me like that. It would be nice if they could cycle through the shows, maybe even keeping it a secret which one they would run, until the last minute.

imagineer99

Reflections of Earth is the very best thing ever to come to Epcot! It is also the best show ever to come to WDW. During the finale, when the sky is so bright with fireworks that it looks like it is daylight, just try to keep your mouth closed!

It perfectly represents the park emotionally and spiritually!

The music is spectacular. Every time I listen to it, it sends shivers down my spine.

Long live RoE!!!!

Dr Albert Falls

Original Poster
So far, everyone has commented on the amazing fireworks and the incredible music--- I agree wholeheartedly, and with just these two elements RoE WOULD be the best Disney nighttime show.

But-- no one can explain the globe! No one has commented that they LIKE it, no one can explain its entertainment value, no one can explain the painfully long pacing, with nothing going on but those hard-to-see images.

Remove the globe (or at least cut 3-4 minutes out of it!) and you DO have the best show at the resort!

General Grizz

I really don't care for the snake scene in Fantasmic - but that doesn't really make me like Fantasmic less.

I'd rather have more than less...now when things are taken away so much, that resets my values to the point where I won't be upset at something because of a certain scene that doesn't take away from value if it just isn't entertaining for me.

I don't think the globe's all that bad actually...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by Dr Albert Falls
So far, everyone has commented on the amazing fireworks and the incredible music--- I agree wholeheartedly, and with just these two elements RoE WOULD be the best Disney nighttime show.

But-- no one can explain the globe! No one has commented that they LIKE it, no one can explain its entertainment value, no one can explain the painfully long pacing, with nothing going on but those hard-to-see images.

Remove the globe (or at least cut 3-4 minutes out of it!) and you DO have the best show at the resort!

The Earth barge serves a number of purposes...

1. It tells a story of the development of the Earth as we know it, and the progress of mankind. For details of what the story is telling, have a look at the show notes on http://www.wdwmagic.com/illum_2000_the_show.htm towards the bottom of that page.

2. The section in the middle of ACT2 where there is video imagery/, lighting effects and fountains only provides time for the smoke to clear from ACT1. Without a pause in between, the majority of Worldshowcase would be covered in dense smoke.

In my opinion RoE is the ultimate nighttime spectacular. The Earth Barge in particular is a stunning piece of engineering, and combined with the way it moves out into the lagoon, provides a one-of-a-kind video display, and then opens up to form a pyro barge is incredible. I love RoE and the Earth barge! :)

General Grizz

Originally posted by wdwmagic

1. It tells a story of the development of the Earth as we know it, and the progress of mankind. For details of what the story is telling, have a look at the show notes on http://www.wdwmagic.com/illum_2000_the_show.htm towards the bottom of that page.

2. The section in the middle of ACT2 where there is video imagery/, lighting effects and fountains only provides time for the smoke to clear from ACT1. Without a pause in between, the majority of Worldshowcase would be covered in dense smoke.

In my opinion RoE is the ultimate nighttime spectacular. The Earth Barge in particular is a stunning piece of engineering, and combined with the way it moves out into the lagoon, provides a one-of-a-kind video display, and then opens up to form a pyro barge is incredible. I love RoE and the Earth barge! :)

Oh wow - very enlightening

Pecos Bill1201

HERE...HERE!! GOOD FORM!!

Ijones88

Originally posted by Pecos Bill1201
I'm sorry but I think the ultimate fireworks show of all time is and will always be RoE. Nothing touches it. Fantasmic is an awesome show, but RoE if you pay enough attention to it makes you think and contemplate our existence with one another, our relationships with one another throughout the world. RoE is cut from the very mold that makes Epcot such a special place, a place Walt would marvel at. RoE is Epcot at its finest…My favorite time watching the show: New Year’s Eve (12/31/02) pouring down rain as midnight approached central Florida and the east coast, fireworks blasted over the countries that the new year had already entered. China, Japan, Morocco, Norway, France, England…the rain would have washed away many a fireworks show but not RoE, the show went on forever and the whole time everybody was hugging and cheering long after midnight had come and gone, complete strangers from China and Spain were next to us and we were arm and arm soaking wet..and with every blast we were so happy to share the moment together. I love Fantasmic and never, never miss seeing it at least twice every trip, but nothing like what happened at RoE could have happened at any other show. But everybody has his or her own opinions and experiences, it’s all Disney!!
:wave: We were there too that night and boy what a downpour it was.....but the show went on and it was spectacular!!!!

Becky

Originally posted by Ijones88
:wave: We were there too that night and boy what a downpour it was.....but the show went on and it was spectacular!!!!

Me three:D

I was watching from in front of Canada:cool:

A local told me that Flordia was in "our dry season":eek:

Shaman

THANK YOU, Steve....I thought I was the only one that saw the point to the Earth barge. On days when there isn't any wind the smoke fails to disperse, even with the Earth Barge sequence...so I could imagine how it would be without it.

Everything in IllumiNATIONS: Reflections of Earth serves a purpose; like with every story there is a beginning, a middle and an end--the globe (and primarily the music) builds up the emotion to the next Act of the show. Trust me the show would not be the same without it.

And yes the Nations are shown in the show...not only do they light up during the show and have different light effects...but also images from each continent are displayed on the Earth Barge itself.

The show is simply the best...and I make sure never to miss it when I go to WDW. Fantasmic doesn't hold a candle to iRoE in my opinion.

But hey like someone already said...TO EACH HIS OWN....

:wave:

goofyfan13

Originally posted by Pecos Bill1201
…My favorite time watching the show: New Year’s Eve (12/31/02) pouring down rain as midnight approached central Florida and the east coast, fireworks blasted over the countries that the new year had already entered.

Wow talk about a small world.. What country were you in front of because we were at the American Adventure. But, New Years was by far my favorite too. My mom wanted to leave because of the rain and my dad was contemplating it, but I wound up getting them both to stay for it considering that was what we went for. Of course, they both loved it, and I forgot about being soaking wet once those fireworks started going. Those fireworks were powerful! The ground rumbled where I was. That was one experience I will never forget, despite that weird weather, aka the storm that wouldn't die. But it did have a positive side effect to it, we had no trouble getting a good spot. All of the dance spots were really cool too, and who could forget when they gave the little kids their little kazoo thingies! I wanted to steal all of them to get them to stop...:brick: :lol:

mkepcotmgmak

call me crazy, and mind you i haven't been to epcot since before M:S opened, but sometimes Illuminations is the only reason i am drawn to that park - i really miss ToD too - but the music in roe gets me everytime, and the display is beautiful. i am not a big fan of the globe, but you have to sacrifice...lol... anyway, it is a beautiful show!

paperboy

Illuminations is the best!

Don't think I'll be contributing anything new to this thread, but I thought I'd echo my support for RoE. My Disney trip is never complete until I see the show. IMHO, Fantasmic is great but overrated. Too much Pocahontas.

I can't imagine why people would prefer the old Illuminations to RoE, however. Just about every fireworks show outside of Disney, whether it be at ballgames, other theme parks, or on the 4th, shoots off fireworks to the same tired overused classical music (ie 1812 Overture).:snore: They're a dime a dozen. What makes RoE so special is the originality of the score and the meaning behind the show. It's very emotional, and I get goosebumps just thinking about it. I listen to the soundtrack almost every day, and it really is a brilliantly composed piece of music.

What I do miss from the old Illuminations is the laser effect of the spinning globe projected onto Spaceship Earth. I wish they would bring that back. It wouldn't detract from the show one bit.

marchofthecards

yes you are missing something

:wave:

It sounds to me like some of you guys only pay attention when a shell blows out in the night sky - the rest of the time, you are too busy finishing off your hotdog or whatever....

This show makes many cry. It tells a story that you can interpret into many things.

People today need a story or an act telling for them. What's happened to imagination, did you not see Tapestry of Dreams?

Illuminations:R.O.E. is a time for reflection (hello, there is a clue - it's in the title!!!) Remember it was designed for the millenium eve only!!!!

The story can be accepted by people believing in either creation or evolution, in that something/somehow started it.

I'm sorry you find the globe borig as it sails off into the centre, but most people are awed and are catching their breath from the magnificent intro.
Also most people walk off after what they think is the finale, but then we have a reprise which incorporates the 2nd finale. Then people stop, look up to the skies and see that spectacular ending. Always remember that Disney never just does one finale!!!

I think that (and I mean this nicely) some of the ignorance displayed here is typical of individuals who just don't take a 2nd think or adopt a different view on things. The technicalities, manpower, energy of that show isn't cheap. Most of you would be shocked to learn the cost of running this show each and every night.

Please, watch it again, and look for the story as you reflect on who you are and what you have!

Rgds

Simes

Enderikari

Im gonna throw in my favor on the RoE side too. Don't get me wrong, i enjoy Fantasmic, I love the show. But When i want to see scenes from various disney classics,. Ill load up my DVD player, I dont need those projected onto water. The morphing effect with the villains is laughable too. The romance boats, the ferry and the fireworks are excellent though.
However, RoE moves me. The music in combination with the excellent use of every bit they have out there combines to be an emtional experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom