illuminations @ San Angel INN

X12345

Since I didn't get my pontoon boat for Illuminations, I managed to book a dinner ressie at San Angel Inn for 7PM on Dec 30th. Was this a good Idea? Are the tables where you can view the show, any other suggestions on how to make sure I have a good spot to view the show?

robhedin

Sorry, the tables at the San Angel Inn are inside, with no view of the (real) outside.

The only restaraunts that I've been able to catch Illuminations from are the Rose and Crown, Nine Dragons and Les Chefs de France (I suspect that they could be viewed at the Bistro de Paris as well, but have never been there).

If you can get seats in the lounge at the top front of the Mistukoshi, you've got a good view there as well, although anyone can just stand on the landing outside on the 2nd floor as well.

rob.

Upvote 0

brkgnews

Welcome to the boards! As mentioned above, the tables at the San Angel Inn are inside. You may have seen some pictures that make it look like it's outside, but that's unortunately the back wall of the pavillion painted to look like it's outside. However, all is not lost!

Option one: Keep your current reservations. If they're for 7PM, you should have no problem being done by 9PM -- then literally walk across the street (walkway) to see the fireworks.

Option two: If you want to see the fireworks while you're eating (and you still want Mexican food), then there is a counter-service version of San Angel Inn. It's called Cantina de San Angel and it is located directly in front of the Mexico Pavillion, right alongside the lagoon. If you get there early enough, you can get a plate at the counter and sit at a lagoon-side table to dine and enjoy the show. The food is different, though -- more quick-to-go type stuff.

Upvote 0

X12345

Original Poster
Thanks! I was hoping for some sort of preferred seating since I had a ressie for dinner. I guess that isn't the case unless I use the counter service and score a good table.

Upvote 0

brkgnews

If you do decide to stay with your current reservations, you can ask for a table near the "river of time" (the one inside the pavillion that the Rio del Tiempo ride goes through). It's a neat view (considering it's inside); you'll get to see the pyramid and the volcano (try to spot the hidden mickey in the smoke) and the folks in the boats as they go floating by (be forewarned -- you'll be blinded about fifty times by folks with flash cameras).

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Just a little FYI. The date you are going to be there is one of the busiest of the year and you will not be the only person trying to get a table at the Cantina with the purpose of watching Illuminations. In order to get a good view of Illuminations at the Cantina you will need to get a table next to the water. (Trees and canopies can block your view at the other tables) You will still want to hit dinner about 7:00 PM, or earlier, and wait at your table until the show starts.

Upvote 0

dandaman

There is a really good viewing area I discovered when we were eating in San Angel Inn. It's a sort of bridge, I think, in between Cantina de San Angel and the first "Odyssey" walkway. Around 8:50, I went outside and found that spot had a near-perfect view. It seemed to be a very wide walkway, so I highly recommend getting out there about 10 minutes prior to showtime (though, if you actually get in at your reservation time (unlikely...), you may already be out of there). :wave:

Upvote 0

natalia1681

robhedin said:
Sorry, the tables at the San Angel Inn are inside, with no view of the (real) outside.

The only restaraunts that I've been able to catch Illuminations from are the Rose and Crown, Nine Dragons and Les Chefs de France (I suspect that they could be viewed at the Bistro de Paris as well, but have never been there).

If you can get seats in the lounge at the top front of the Mistukoshi, you've got a good view there as well, although anyone can just stand on the landing outside on the 2nd floor as well.

rob.

I have a res at the Nine Dragons during my trip. If I stop by early and *request* a certain area, where would I request to see Illuminations? (I realize that just because I ask, doesn't mean it'll happen, but I can always hope.:D)

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

Spike1968 said:
Any recommendations on what restaurants would be good for viewing Illuminations from? Thanks.

Please note, the official spiel you will hear when booking a dinning reservation at Rose & Crown Pub & Dining Room (UK):

"Due to overwhelming demand, Special Seating (ex: outdoor seating or fireworks viewing) requests can not be taken. Upon arrival at the podium, you will be seated at the first availiable table for your party size."

Although this is not always enforced, it normally will be enforced during peak times such as the winter holiday season. Although not official spieled when a dine reservation is made, other restaurants that have window seating will also follow this policy during peak periods.

Hope this helps! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

natalia1681 said:
I have a res at the Nine Dragons during my trip. If I stop by early and *request* a certain area, where would I request to see Illuminations? (I realize that just because I ask, doesn't mean it'll happen, but I can always hope.:D)

Do remember when you make a Disney dining reservation, you are not reserving a particular table, but instead a table size and time. When you arrive at the podium, you will be seated at the first available table for your party size. If the location takes special seating request (some do, some don't) you must make the request at the podium when you arrive for your scheduled dine time, and will be seated at the first available table for your party size that meets your request. Per policy Disney restaurants cannot hold tables so stopping by early to make a request cannot be honored.

Hope this helps! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

crazygirley

We, during our last trip, managed to snag a great table at the Cantina de San Angel... we were so excited to have a perfect place to sit while we watched the fireworks and while we waited.

The seats were great until about twenty minutes until showtime, when about a thousand people came and surrounded us, basically ruining our "perfect" view. We ended up getting up and walking somewhere near China against the fence surrounding the lagoon.

The moral of this story is, if you plan on sitting at Cantina de San Angel to watch IllumiNations, get a table that is against the iron fence, or be prepared to watch them over people's heads.

The nacho's are good too, BTW. Try them with a margarita!

Upvote 0

swimmom

dandaman said:
There is a really good viewing area I discovered when we were eating in San Angel Inn. It's a sort of bridge, I think, in between Cantina de San Angel and the first "Odyssey" walkway. Around 8:50, I went outside and found that spot had a near-perfect view. It seemed to be a very wide walkway, so I highly recommend getting out there about 10 minutes prior to showtime (though, if you actually get in at your reservation time (unlikely...), you may already be out of there). :wave:
When we were visiting last December this bridge was packed with people more than an hour before Illuminations. During a slower time of year you may be able to arrive 10 minutes prior to the show, but not around the holidays.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom