IllumiNations question

ROEFan88

Original Poster
Just read on Wikipedia that the Reflections of Earth control room is located on top of the Mexico pavilion. Is this really true? I know Wikipedia isn't the most reliable of sources, but if this is true then it's something I never knew before.

ROEFan88

Original Poster
Cool! I never really thought about this much before - boy would I like to see what it's like in there at showtime. It fascinates me!

You can see the Fantasmic! control room window clearly, but does anyone know where Wishes is controlled from?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You can see the Fantasmic! control room window clearly, but does anyone know where Wishes is controlled from?
I`m sure boo :wave: will fully answer you, but the in-park controls for Wishes are on top of the North Eastern victorian `bus stop` structure in the hub (the castle stage control is on the NW side)

The high alt pyro also has a control booth at the north launch site.

monorailguy01

I think there is 3 control rooms, one in the Mexico tower, Another in the Italy clock tower, and I think the other one is somewhere by France. I do not know how true this is I heard from a CM a few months ago.

ROEFan88

Original Poster
Cool photos, thanks (but wow does that old laser globe look hideous!)

So there are laser booths around World Showcase, but isn't there one main control room where people are overlooking each element of the show?

Rob562

Cool photos, thanks (but wow does that old laser globe look hideous!)

So there are laser booths around World Showcase, but isn't there one main control room where people are overlooking each element of the show?

Look at the photos again. In the section labels "Laser Booths" are the rooms where the three main lasers are located (Canada, American Adventure and Mexico) as well as the main control station (the fourth photo of the large control board with the red and white telephones). The laser booths are indoors, the control console is outdoors on the roof of Mexico.

-Rob

boo52

Marni is correct on the Wishes question. As for lasers on top of Italy and Japan. Those are only reflection mirrors. There are only 3 laser around WS. Those locations are mentioned above. Mexico, AA, & Canada. The main control room for the entire show is at Mexico.

culturenthrills

Well, if it is anything like Fantasmic at Disneyland there is a show manager at the control console who can e-stop the show and unless i am wrong, I thought I read somewhere they can shutdown specific barges if needed during the show.

Of course Fantasmic is different since you have the human element. I think I have read somewhere that they have only had to e-stop the DL Fantasmic once.

Rob562

Well, if it is anything like Fantasmic at Disneyland there is a show manager at the control console who can e-stop the show and unless i am wrong, I thought I read somewhere they can shutdown specific barges if needed during the show.

Of course Fantasmic is different since you have the human element. I think I have read somewhere that they have only had to e-stop the DL Fantasmic once.

If you look at the photo of the Illuminations control station at the link above, you can see there's an e-stop button for each individual barge so they can shut one down if necessary while the rest of the show continues. I assume there's also a single button for the entire show. (Otherwise, that's a LOT of button slapping...) :animwink:

I also know that Wishes can selectively inhibit certain pyro from firing due to weather conditions. We saw Wishes during a MVMCP night (before the Holiday version of Wishes came out) and it was VERY VERY windy that night, with the wind blowing from the north. It was a VERY sparse show that night, and even then we got rained on by fallout on the Tomorrowland bridge.

As for E-stopping Fantasmic, I have a video clip from the Florida production that E-stopped 30 seconds into the show when Mickey's lift failed to lift him up to the stage. The spotlights turned to light him up, and he wasn't there. After a few moments, the show stopped, the audience lights came on, and then a flustered-sounding stage manager said that there would be a delay but that the show would start over again in a few minutes.

I also have an audio clip somewhere on my computer of the Florida Fantasmic e-stopping during the show and a recorded voice saying that "due to technical difficulties, this performance of Fantasmic is unable to continue."

-Rob

ROEFan88

Original Poster
I also have an audio clip somewhere on my computer of the Florida Fantasmic e-stopping during the show and a recorded voice saying that "due to technical difficulties, this performance of Fantasmic is unable to continue."

-Rob

So the show just didn't re-start at all? That must have made some people pretty ed! Do you remember more specifically what happened?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So the show just didn't re-start at all? That must have made some people pretty ed! Do you remember more specifically what happened?
If it`s the video I think it was the stage was very wet. I`d imagine they ran the wet weather version to get ride of the loaded pyro - assuming they can do this if the main show is cut after it has begun.
The other vid of no Mickey was a real sudden problem. No automated spiel, as rob said, with a very flustered female on the PA mixing her words.

lightboy

On Fantasmic restarting in the middle of show...

Not as easy as you might think. That show is based off of film...yes, old film...not digital projection. And anyone who knows anything about theatre projection knows that you can't "rewind" film, because of its threading.

So what does that mean? Yes...the projectors must be run all the way to the end/start (it's a loop projection system) before the show can restart.

culturenthrills

On Fantasmic restarting in the middle of show...

Not as easy as you might think. That show is based off of film...yes, old film...not digital projection. And anyone who knows anything about theatre projection knows that you can't "rewind" film, because of its threading.

So what does that mean? Yes...the projectors must be run all the way to the end/start (it's a loop projection system) before the show can restart.

I am sorta surprised that they haven't gone to digital projection. Maybe it will be after the new lagoon show at DCA is debuted because i know that is rumored to use digital projection on the mist screens in that show.

Rob562

If it`s the video I think it was the stage was very wet. I`d imagine they ran the wet weather version to get ride of the loaded pyro - assuming they can do this if the main show is cut after it has begun.

I only have audio on that one, not video. It happens during the "bubbles" water screen sequence. The next live-action scene after that is the Pocahontas sequence, so perhaps there was an incident backstage or onstage during setup that required them to stop the show.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom