Illuminations Preferred Viewing Area

johnvree

Original Poster
Curious about this.

Where exactly is the "preferred viewing" location?

How is the view from the location?

Is it worth burning a tier 1 FP+ (we are going mid-May)?

We always watch Illuminations from the bridge by the International Gateway. I don't particularly enjoy having to get their early and then defend my space. So a preferred viewing location sounds good. But not if it's the same thing just in a different location.

Thanks for the responses.

ninjaprincesst

I did it back last November before they started the tier thing, it was fine then, but there was no tier and legacy fast pass still existed so then it was worth it, now I would say it is not. You can get a spot just as good without burning a fastpass.

TinkerBelle8878

I wish they'd stop doing this. If someone gets there early, they get a better spot. Enough with separated MM+ viewing areas. Especially if they're also building restaurants WS side that take up other formerly free spaces. This is really reaching for uses and justification of MM+. Build more rides. Fix the ones that are languishing. Reopen pavilions shuttered for conventions.

sissa216

I did it back last November before they started the tier thing, it was fine then, but there was no tier and legacy fast pass still existed so then it was worth it, now I would say it is not. You can get a spot just as good without burning a fastpass.

I tend to agree. We also did this before the tiered FPs. Now, I think there are better uses for your Tier 1 choice. We were one of the later ones to arrive- although not the latest- and our view was not spectacular (we were several people deep)

steamboatjosh

I'm going to use a FP+ for it just because it would be nice to have a spot guaranteed without having to wait around for a super-long time. I remember back in '99 my mom and I had a really hard time finding a spot like 20 mins before showtime. If it was like that back then, I can only imagine what it's like now.

mergatroid

We get a late night snack before showtime in the UK. Mmmm, fish & chips.

Another shout for this. We book reservations months in advance for the Rose & Crown. We even mistimed it last year booking our table for 8pm when IllumiNations started at 10pm and not 9pm as I'd thought. When I told our waiter our error he said not to worry and that he'd happily go slow with the service etc to make sure we were still at our outside table for when it started. True to his word he did this and it was a lovely evening we enjoyed with a great unobstructed view :cool:

llrain

Didn't do it. Will not do it. 50.00 just to not have to sit in one spot for an hour is way not worth it. And the cheesy food spread with champagne is not worth the 50.00. Huge rip off.
The France bridge is way better a spot (especially cause we stay a the beach and yacht every trip).
Way better beverage and snack/dessert options in that little area (France mouse, now cmon, that beat every option they have at this little rip off), beers, wines, and non alcoholic options that when you are done
spending money here on the France bridge, you will still be way under 50.00.

MOXOMUMD

Didn't do it. Will not do it. 50.00 just to not have to sit in one spot for an hour is way not worth it. And the cheesy food spread with champagne is not worth the 50.00. Huge rip off.
The France bridge is way better a spot (especially cause we stay a the beach and yacht every trip).
Way better beverage and snack/dessert options in that little area (France mouse, now cmon, that beat every option they have at this little rip off), beers, wines, and non alcoholic options that when you are done
spending money here on the France bridge, you will still be way under 50.00.
I think you are going on about the wrong thing. The OP is asking about the FP+ preferred area. You are talking about the dessert party.

We had a prefer viewing spot for a grand gathering a few years ago. We went to a dinner at that restaurant place between test track mission space side and the entrance to world showcase. (I can't remember the name of the catering place)
After they took us to a place right across the water from the American area. The viewing area provided a great view and we didn't have to line up early.
I know some people think it's silly to pay to avoid waiting but for me, trying to keep three kids busy for an hour is a tough sell. That doesn't sound fun.

DizneyPryncess

We booked it for May. But we're going with our 2.5 year old who isn't tall enough to ride most of the other rides in the top tier. She also loves IllumiNations, so this was an easy choice for us. It's hard to get a spot early with a toddler, so I'm hoping we can show up close to showtime and not be too deep.

Foolish Mortal

If your OK not doing Soarin' or Test Track, sure. Location wise it good, but I would still arrive early. Like others, I used a FP+ selection before tiering and when legacy fast passes were still available but I wouldn't now.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I always used to claim my spot an hour early then realized I like it better to just stand behind the crowds. I feel like I see more and get a wider view of the lake. And I get to walk around and snack right up until 9:00 :).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom