Illuminations Music Playing at U.S. Consular Offices

gsimpson

Original Poster
Disney has produced a short film that is being shown in consular offices for people to watch while waiting for visas etc.

The sound track is Illuminations, too bad they don't show the Illuminations Finale at the end.

Here is a link to an excerpt from the file:
http://usatoday.feedroom.com/index....435e655924023fe67d07de30&loc=interstitialskip

Here is a link to website with the film (not available until late Monday):
http://discoveramerica.com/

Here is a link to the article:
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2007-10-19-disney-welcome-video_N.htm?csp=34

DiPSU224

Too bad that wasn't playing back in April when my husband and I had to go to the US consulate in Montreal while we were waiting to see if they would grant him his visa. It would have been a nice distraction considering I was so nervous I felt like I was going to :hurl:

TP2000

I watched the short video with clips from the upcoming film. How neat!

What a great idea for the State Department to go to the premier American storytelling company (Disney) to write the welcome script for visitors arriving here. Brilliant idea, and rather moving to watch as an American. :sohappy:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I can't quite imagine that making it any better dealing with a US consular office.

As a US citizen, the only good thing about US consular offices is... errr.... they can add pages to your passport very quickly :lol:

Captain Hank

Just watched the finished film. I thought they did a really good job of capturing the feelinig of the US. As for the music, it's actually a slightly different arrangement of Illuminations with a bit of Tapestry of Nations music thrown in for good measure. Also, did I spot a little snippet of Soarin' footage near the beginning with the hot air balloons?

wickedfan07

Just watched the finished film. I thought they did a really good job of capturing the feelinig of the US. As for the music, it's actually a slightly different arrangement of Illuminations with a bit of Tapestry of Nations music thrown in for good measure. Also, did I spot a little snippet of Soarin' footage near the beginning with the hot air balloons?

I was slightly surprised to hear that its a totally different recording and not just the original cut into sections and reworked.

The irony of the whole thing is that the composer of Reflections of Earth, Gavin Greenaway, is from England. And now his music is used in a film promoting America.

Rob562

And is it bad that they showed the Canadian side of Niagra Falls rather than the American side? (Though admittedly the Canadian side is much more instantly recognizable than the American side...)

And was it just my computer, or is the audio about a full second off from the video at the end?

-Rob

wild01ride

It looks like Disney is helping to maintain jobs in the U.S. too: that sure looked like JC Chasez as the waiter at the fancy restaurant about 1/3 of the way through the movie!

:ROFLOL:

Rob562

They also had the Golden Gate Bridge file clip from Soar'n

Ummm... The Golden Gate Bridge in Soarin' isn't a fogged in stationary-camera shot...

The shuttle launch sequence looks like it was lifted from Horizons with some of the music as well.

Similar, but different footage. There wasn't a hill in the foreground in Horizons, and the angle is different (I just checked a video from Horizons to make sure). As for the music, the crescendo gives the same effect, but the music in that section in the opening from the Tapestry of Nations parade.

One clip that I do kinda-sorta recognize is the bear catching a fish in the river. It may be from the original Symbiosis film. (It may even have been reused for the Circle of Life film, but it's been a while since I've seen that)

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom