Illuminations Changes??

LarryPetrosky

Original Poster
Does anyone know if any changes have been made to Illuminations recently? I saw the show at least 6 times over the last two weeks and each time a number of pyro effects were missing. The same effects were missing across all of the shows, including last nights, which would lead me to believe that they might possibly be gone for good. :cry: I hope it's just a technical issue because portions of the show looked pretty weak without them. Well, 1st timers still thought the show was great but the rest of us would not be as impressed.

Here's what was missing, and the location in the show for those of you that have download the really great ROE July 4th (Hires) video from this site.

The white/blue starbursts that end up floating in the water at the end of the flame sequence, just before the globe comes out. 2:52
All 3 sets of gold colored starbursts that begin when the lasers fan out over the lagoon. 8:47, 8:56, 9:05

If spinning isn't your thing then Opt Out. I choose to spin.

:D

Shaman

I noticed changes aswell...first I noticed them on my visit in mid Aug.....some effects were missing, some prematurely occured, and others occured wrong. Then a couple of days ago everything seemed ok...a couple of the effects where missing again...but other things replaced what was missing. I think they are trying to cut back on the usage of fireworks...and therefore have replaced them with pavilion effects and more lazer effects and fountain effects. Thats what I noticed the last time I saw the show...less fireworks than usual...but overall the show had a more WOW feeling to it...so its not that bad. Just my opinion.

:lookaroun

AriBelle23

yeah, we went in june 2003 and i notcied stuff was missing, i have only seen the show once before, but i still knew it wasn't as impressive as the first time. it was my moms first time so she was still amazed by it...but i really wasn't. i have no diea if its all gone for good...but i know it wasnt nearly as amazing as it once was. oh well, that seems to happen sometimes...myabe they are saving money? its a possibilty.

X2CommNavISTC

Account Suspended
I was out there last night (Managed to get out early, thank God for ERs) and I didn't see anything missing at all. Sometimes, certain fireworks don't fire at all causing us to "miss" some parts.

But I wouldn't be surprised if we see new fireworks added in to update it a bit, it'll have to go along with the music though as we all know that the fireworks go off to certain beats of the music.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Usually any missing elements are down to either:

1. A temporary firing fault
2. A supply problem from the manufacturer with a particular pyro item
3. Weather (wind) conditions

tinkerbell2

We only ever saw the show twice, but yeah, I thought it was different the second time around. But I really didn't know if they were going to have the fireworks because it had rained pretty hard that evening. Maybe that's why it seemed different. I don't know.:veryconfu

s25843

Originally posted by tinkerbell2
We only ever saw the show twice, but yeah, I thought it was different the second time around. But I really didn't know if they were going to have the fireworks because it had rained pretty hard that evening. Maybe that's why it seemed different. I don't know.:veryconfu

Correct me if im wrong but Illuminations has NEVER Missed a show in its history!!!

X2CommNavISTC

Account Suspended
The only shows that would'nt be performed would be the parades, Fantasmic! Cinderella's Surprise Celebration and Story Time with Belle and various character Meet and Greets.

Shaman

Originally posted by wdwmagic
Usually any missing elements are down to either:

1. A temporary firing fault
2. A supply problem from the manufacturer with a particular pyro item
3. Weather (wind) conditions

4. Cutbacks

:brick: :lookaroun :hammer:

Some of the elements missing I would say was probably firing fault...but most I think were not set up in the first place...they've been changing the show...they've added new non fireworks effects....but hey don't get me wrong its still the best...even somewhat more impressive...if that is even possible.

:lookaroun

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by s25843
Correct me if im wrong but Illuminations has NEVER Missed a show in its history!!!

It has a very good track record. I know of 3 occasions back in the original Illum days when the show was cancelled due to high winds. They were unable to physcially take the barges out to the lagoon.

Then there were the times when they couldnt fire any pyro due to the wild fires, but the show still ran, just with no pyro. :)

LarryPetrosky

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the feedback. I agree with Steve and objr that it is either (2) a manufacturer/supply problem or (4) cutbacks. I've seen the show well over 100 times so I'm pretty familiar with the various glitches and issues that typically occur. I'm a bit of a Illuminations fanatic. I think that it's an incredible show and would hate to see anything done to dilute its impact.

I'll check out the show again in a few days when the weather is a bit better. If the same effects are still missing I'll try to catch up with one of the ROE CM's that are stationed around WS lagoon and see what they have to say.

LarryPetrosky

Original Poster
Re: there are differences

Originally posted by civileng68
There are differences. In fact I just updated my site with them.

I wrote about them and spoke with a member of the pyro crew.

I have video clips.

www.thewaltdisneyworldguide.com

sorry, no audio to keep the file size and load time down.

Thanks for the confirmation civileng68. The missing "orange fireworks" that you mention in your 9-02-03 update on your website are the same ones that I referred to in my initial post. All three sets are gone so now all you get are the 3 sets of white dripping/raining effects. The two effects used to be interleaved together. I did notice the additional spotlighting as well but I wasn't sure if it was more lighting, or if I was just paying more attention to it because the other effects were missing. To be honest, I don't consider the spotlighting to be an adequate replacement.

civileng68

Account Suspended
me either

I do like the spotlight effect but I agree that it is not an adequate effect. It makes me wonder if it's a money thing or just trying to change things up a little.

Yes, they are removed though. I should have asked the barge pyrotechnician when I spoke with him but I didn't want him to think that I was questioning the show decision or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom