Ignoring the hype?

I've followed the hype for several places (CM, Ohana) and I've been very disappointed.

I've stayed away from Raglan Road which seems pretty popular as I don't care for Irish music and dancing. We've also stated away from Coral Reef as we've gone to several excellent dinner events (including my wedding) at our local aquariums and it can't possibly compare.

Roakor

For me it would have to be Sanaa!
Absolutely nothing on that menu would be anything that we would eat.

I thought the same thing about Sanaa no matter how much people hyped it up I'd never go. However on our last trip we went and I decided to be brave and got a combo platter. All stuff I would normally never order and to my surprise I found it all very good.

Now at the top of my list would be Skippers Canteen. Reading the menu, to me, it just doesn't sound very appetizing. Maybe next trip I be brave again and give it a try....

CaptainAmerica

I want to go to garden grill but refuse to pay $60 specifically because its a character meal. I just want the food. I agree, when i dine i do not want endless conversation. Give me my food and let me relax.

My last visit to ohana my server did just that and brought me tons of food without making me feel judged. They also placed me in the corner away from people. He got a $20 tip
Garden Grill is $40, not $60.

To answer the OP's question:
  • Margaritas in the Mexico pavilion
  • Les Halles Boulangerie-Patisserie
  • Tonga Toast
  • Dole Whip with rum. As a matter of fact, all Dole Whip now that you can't get pineapple-vanilla twist
  • Be Our Guest lunch
  • Cinderella's Royal Table
  • Victoria & Albert's
  • Sci-Fi Dine-in
  • The Brown Derby

p.a.m.

Now at the top of my list would be Skippers Canteen. Reading the menu, to me, it just doesn't sound very appetizing. Maybe next trip I be brave again and give it a try....
You should consider tying Skipper Canteen. The food is very good (so is the service). Once the items are on the table they don't seem as obscure or exotic as the menu makes them sound. It's not run of the mill by any means but it also isn't really that far out. There are definitely some unique flavors but nothing overpowering. I recommend trying it.

disney4life2008

• Tonga Toast
  • Dole Whip with rum. As a matter of fact, all Dole Whip now that you can't get pineapple-vanilla twist
  • Be Our Guest lunch
  • Victoria & Albert's
  • Sci-Fi Dine-in
  • The Brown Derby

I am confused. When I looked it up it says $59.99. Is that only during the holidays? How much is it on Saturday, April 8?

disney4life2008

• Tonga Toast
  • Be Our Guest lunch
  • Victoria & Albert's
  • Sci-Fi Dine-in
  • The Brown Derby

I agree with all. Les Halles Boulangerie-Patisserie is good to walk into and smell but I do not like the new set up. I miss the old set up albiet too small. The prices are too expensive for me. I can get the same things at Publix.

I used to love Dole Whip but I am over the fad.

disney4life2008

I just thought of one.. ZEBRA DOMES! LOL I remember I begged for a Boma reservation for these delicious zebra domes. At one point, all people talked about was how these were the perfect delicacy ever. I was so excited to get ADR because I knew they only sold them at AKL. I loaded my plate with 5 and did not finish even one. It was so bad I stopped eating cake.

JIMINYCR

Never even considered Victoria & Alberts despite the hype. The menu items and chef attention sounds great and its not so much the cost or the time involved, its the dress code of Dinner Jacket required. When I'm at Disney I'm totally on vacation and never pack anything dressier than shorts, jeans, t shirts, sweat shirts.

Phonedave

I don't think there are any places I have not been to, despite them being hyped up

As for places that I have been to, that I feel do not desrerven any hype

Le Cellier
'Ohana

and as far as individual products are concerned

Dole Whips
Zebra Domes

Really, they are all pretty much below average in my book.

-dave

Last edited:

LeighM

I kept hearing all these great reviews about Le Cellier but when I looked at the menu, I wasn't impressed by the items or the prices. However, the husband and I love 'Ohana's dinner as we've never had a bad meal or service there. Not having children, the hype over Chef Mickey's does nothing for us. I did go to Sanaa dinner after reading so much about it and I was impressed that the hype was correct - at least before they recently changed up their menu. But their naan service is fantastic. I don't really give to much credence to hype or reviews. Everyone is too different in tastes, expectations, etc. I would rather go into a place based on their menu and not a bunch of reviews that could give me unrealistic expectations.

Phonedave

I kept hearing all these great reviews about Le Cellier but when I looked at the menu, I wasn't impressed by the items or the prices. However, the husband and I love 'Ohana's dinner as we've never had a bad meal or service there. Not having children, the hype over Chef Mickey's does nothing for us. I did go to Sanaa dinner after reading so much about it and I was impressed that the hype was correct - at least before they recently changed up their menu. But their naan service is fantastic. I don't really give to much credence to hype or reviews. Everyone is too different in tastes, expectations, etc. I would rather go into a place based on their menu and not a bunch of reviews that could give me unrealistic expectations.

If you look at pretty much anything at WDW through the lense of price vs. quality, not much is worth it. You really need to have a differet set of price/value criteria when evaluating WDW dining.

-dave

Last edited:

Diesel Dan

California Grill. The food and service was great, one of the best meals at WDW. They do hype watching the Fireworks from there while you dine. I just don't care for the angle you view the Fireworks to the Castle, always a better show from inside the MK.

carriebeth

No matter how many times I read the menu at SKipper Canteen I can not find anything that I think sounds good at all. Entrees and desserts all look unappealing to me.

I feel the same about TIffins.

danyoung56

I've never been to either 50s Prime Time or to Whispering Canyon. The idea of being yelled at, or made fun of while I eat doesn't appeal to me in the least.

This! I had one dinner in the Prime Time, and got yelled at repeatedly by my "cousin" server to get my elbows off the table. I was tired after a long day of park storming, and wanted to have a nice dinner without being yelled at. She really needed to read the room and figure out that I wasn't playing along.

LeighM

This! I had one dinner in the Prime Time, and got yelled at repeatedly by my "cousin" server to get my elbows off the table. I was tired after a long day of park storming, and wanted to have a nice dinner without being yelled at. She really needed to read the room and figure out that I wasn't playing along.

I'll never forget the first time I had lunch at 50s Prime Time. I knew going in that the servers would give you a hard time but I was expecting teasing, etc. After I ordered, I had to use the restroom. I didn't know that they share facilities with Hollywood and Vine and the line was down the hall and moving slowly. It probably would've been quicker to go to the one close by in the park and not the restaurant! Anyways, after what seemed like forever and a day to my bladder, I finally got back to the table. The server brought the food soon after (it was a really slow moving line due to the young kids from H&V!) and the server was talking about me "having the runs" and how he wasn't sure he should give me my food in case it makes me go back to the bathroom. I think he realized that he missed the mark on that one and dropped the act the next time he came to our table.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'll never forget the first time I had lunch at 50s Prime Time. I knew going in that the servers would give you a hard time but I was expecting teasing, etc. After I ordered, I had to use the restroom. I didn't know that they share facilities with Hollywood and Vine and the line was down the hall and moving slowly. It probably would've been quicker to go to the one close by in the park and not the restaurant! Anyways, after what seemed like forever and a day to my bladder, I finally got back to the table. The server brought the food soon after (it was a really slow moving line due to the young kids from H&V!) and the server was talking about me "having the runs" and how he wasn't sure he should give me my food in case it makes me go back to the bathroom. I think he realized that he missed the mark on that one and dropped the act the next time he came to our table.

Sorry that's the whole point of the 50's Prime Time, You get to participate in the schtick whether you like it or not, If you did not like that I also advise staying away from Medieval themed Feasts as the King and his court will embarass you..

LeighM

Sorry that's the whole point of the 50's Prime Time, You get to participate in the schtick whether you like it or not, If you did not like that I also advise staying away from Medieval themed Feasts as the King and his court will embarass you..

Thank you but I'm aware of what the point of Prime Time is lol. I just wasn't expecting it as any talk of bodily functions at my family's dinner table was forbidden - as was wearing hats, no shirts, cursing, and unwashed hands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom