Iger's first move

bigorangeandy

Original Poster
Here is a article from yesterdays AJC (Atlanta Journal-Constitution) that Disney is restructing its Strategic Planning unit to give each division more authority.

Decision-making process revamped for subordinates

[font=geneva,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=-2]<!-- AAAD AUTHOR START -->Gary Gentile<!-- AAAD AUTHOR END --> - <!-- AAAD SOURCE START -->Associated Press<!-- AAAD SOURCE END -->[/size][/font]
[font=geneva,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=-2]Saturday, March 26, 2005[/size][/font]

<!-- AAAD TEXT START -->[font=arial,helvetica,geneva,sans-serif][size=-1]Los Angeles --- Nearly two weeks after being named Disney's new chief executive, Robert Iger has made his first significant move to change the way decisions are made at the media conglomerate.

Walt Disney Co. said Friday it is restructuring its corporate Strategic Planning unit to give each of the firm's businesses more authority to make acquisitions and start new ventures.

Peter Murphy, Disney's chief strategic officer, will leave that role and become a senior adviser to Iger, the firm said.

Iger, who will take over from longtime CEO Michael Eisner in October, has said he wants to foster a more entrepreneurial atmosphere while holding the heads of Disney's film studio, media networks, consumer products and theme parks divisions more accountable.

The Strategic Planning unit has had enormous influence at the company during Eisner's tenure, spearheading such moves as Disney's acquisition of Capital Cities/ABC in 1995 and the Muppets last year.

But the unit also played a role in the decision to pay $5.3 billion for Fox Family Worldwide, which was widely criticized.

The company has since acknowledged overpaying for the company, which includes the since-renamed ABC Family Channel, although the channel has recently improved its ratings and advertising revenue.

Iger said the new corporate structure "will create efficiency with accountability and empower our business unit leaders in their ongoing efforts to create new, differentiated and compelling entertainment experiences." A smaller strategic planning unit will still develop the company's five-year plan and advise Iger on acquisition opportunities and new technology, the company said.<!-- AAAD TEXT END --><!-- AAAD ARTICLE END-->
[/size][/font]
</FONT>

figmentfan

How about fixing the relationship with Pixar? This needs to be done. Disney/Pixar movies are great and successful, therefore PROFITABLE!!!!!!

Sherm00

sounds good so far.

as for pixar though I think disney can go it alone. I am not a big fan of steve jobs. Jobs is basicially holding apple back and it's going to hold pixar back also. I think if Disney hires the right people and gets the right equipment the rest is in the story not the technology. if they get back together that's good but I think disney can beat them at there own game if they really wanted to.

Captain Chaos

beat Pixar at their own game, maybe.... But as we all know, half of the new Disney animated movies have been less than stellar... The stories aren't so great, not bad, but not great... But, we need to give Iger a chance and let's see what he can do...

MouseRight

This move by Iger is BIG.

The Stratgeic Planning Group are the accountants and numbers people you guys are always moaning about. By cutting this group and pushing the decision making down to the operating level it reduces the interference from the Top and creates a "Bottom-Up" atmsophere. Initiatives will be brought up from the bottom and decided at the opertaing level instead of at the CEO's office.

It also shows that Iger is not, and will not, be another Eisner. Doing this even before he officially takes over speaks volumes about the kind of leader he wants to be. This group was central to Eisner's strategy and control over the Company. Iger is his own man and is moving quikly to put his stamp on the Mouse. I wish him luck and predict that there will be more bold moves in the days and months ahead.

:sohappy:

KevinPage

MouseRight said:
This move by Iger is BIG.
It also shows that Iger is not, and will not, be another Eisner. Doing this even before he officially takes over speaks volumes about the kind of leader he wants to be. This group was central to Eisner's strategy and control over the Company. Iger is his own man and is moving quikly to put his stamp on the Mouse. I wish him luck and predict that there will be more bold moves in the days and months ahead.
:sohappy:

I certainly share your optimism, but the verdict on Iger is still pending. Let's see how the plays out in the coming months/years. While on the surface it appears to be a brillant move, there is always a give/take with any decision.

Also, this is corporate America we are talking about. Rarely, if at all, is anything done without considering its impact or positive press it will acheive.

The fact that this was done away with and Eisner is still hanging around either shows that Eisner really has little power left OR they know they needed to do something to show that Iger is his own man. I'm not saying that the only reason they made this move was to "get headlines" but it played a part.

Anyway you slice it, it appears to be a step in the right direction, which is nice to have after all these years. You always need your FIRST step before you go anywhere. :D :D :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom