Iger Says No to Rat Ride

Lee

Adventurer
As far as I know, that end of Pixar Place is still earmarked for a variant of Crush's Coaster....but with a different theme. I was told the Crush theme was out due to the Nemo ride being so similar.

Look for a different Pixar theme for the ride...and for that whole area....

Mr.EPCOT

As far as I know, that end of Pixar Place is still earmarked for a variant of Crush's Coaster....but with a different theme. I was told the Crush theme was out due to the Nemo ride being so similar.

My guess is Monsters, Inc., although The Incredibles is always possible. There were those other rumors about a Monsters, Inc. inverted coaster.

Figment571

The Bob Iger interview he did with CNN that LaughingPlace is talking about is actually a fantastic glimpse into Mr. Iger's mind and the direction the entire Disney company is heading. Mr. Iger seems to be making all the right decisions, and surrounding himself with all of the right people.

And he did say midway through the interview that there would be no Ratatouille ride in a Disney park. And the reasoning behind it was brilliant and very acceptable.

Read the interview for more fascinating insight. http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/11/news/companies/iger_interview.fortune/index.htm

We should start a letter writing campaign showing that the Muppets is a very viable brand and they should start to develop the old ideas they had for them in order to coincide with the release of the new Muppet movie. Lasseter would love to do that probably.

Seriously!:wave:

kc1296426

I'm getting tired of Pixar themed attractions as well, I just want something original and different. Kind of how Space Mountain is, POTC, etc.

Thiger

while I would rather see an original themed ride over another Nemo ride, but the rat movie was fantastic and would make a great dark ride. Although wouldnt it make much more sense to have a themed restaurant instead of a rollar coaster?

Iakona

Didn't it do better than Cars?

Cars did better domestically. Also, Cars merchandise, according to articles I have read, is STILL doing great.

Cars -
Domestic:
$244,082,982
52.8%
+ Foreign:
$217,898,622
47.2%

= Worldwide:
$461,981,604

Ratatouille

TOTAL LIFETIME GROSSES
Domestic:
$206,445,654
33.2%
+ Foreign:
$414,956,705
66.8%

= Worldwide:
$621,402,359

TP2000

Is there enough room for CarsLand? I'm not familiar with how much land is available in that area of the property, but could you have a Radiator Springs Racers show building, a couple C Ticket rides, and assorted shops and restaurants?

CarsLand at DCA has been explained by Disney as being a "12 Acre Expansion" of DCA's current footprint. If Rat is out and they are rethinking the direction they are taking there, can a 12 Acre CarsLand expansion be done at DHS too?

CaptainMichael

I'm torn. I like that as well, but it implies an attitude of merchandise driven attractions. I'm worried that they'll shelve a lot of great attraction ideas because they don't think they'll pull in enough Merch. :(

Great ideas are both creative and sell merchandise. You've just got to find the right balance. ToT and Everest are great examples. You've got be creative in more ways than one.

dxwwf3

Great ideas are both creative and sell merchandise. You've just got to find the right balance. ToT and Everest are great examples. You've got be creative in more ways than one.

:sohappy:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I'm sure some of you know, I've been pretty adament about not wanting the majority of new attractions to be character iniated. But Ratatouille is probably my favorite Disney film and I would really like to see something added in the park based on that property. It's just too good of a movie not to take advantage of somehow. Carsland at DCA looks to be doing character additions the right way (not cutting corners and delivering the best attraction possible without simply cashing in on a run of the mill attraction).

I don't think WDW has been getting the best of what their newer characters can offer (MILF, The Seas, SGE, etc.) and maybe they could try something different with Ratatouille. A restaurant would be a perfect idea for the Studios and you know it at least has to have been considered.

Anyways, I'm still torn. I'm against the addition of characters just for the sake of adding characters (Tiki and the new plans for IASW come to mind), but have no problem if they are done right (More than likely Carsland).

fyn

I agree. Lately it just seems that the majority of new or refurbed attractions are merch driven, rather than an original idea spawning its own merch.

imagineer boy

Too thin of a concept, there's no story, its too simple, there's no way you could hide the track ( that kitchen was very brightly lit in the film ). Plus I've always hated the idea of riding in vehicles made to look like characters with the concept that you are "riding" that character or you "are" that character ( sure, Dumbo comes to mind, but that's just a simple carnival ride that was created at the last minuite at Disneyland ), because its just a simple minded concept.

Well said! It doesn't matter if it has characters or not, if a ride is great and memorable, its bound to sell merchandise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom