If you rent a car, can you still use the Magical Express to have your bags taken to your resort?

Since1971

We are leaving for the Grand Floridian in a few days. I am thinking about renting a car so that my family has some flexibility with scheduling, but I really like the idea of using the Magical Express to have our bags delivered straight to our resort without having to go through baggage claim. Can you still have your bags delivered to your resort directly without taking the bus to your resort? Also, do you think renting a car is worth it if we are staying in the grand Floridian? I assume that we will take the monorail to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot, but it sounds like Animal Kingdom and Hollywood are more of a trek. Don't want to waste money, but if I can get a good rental car price, the added convenience might be worth it?

Dafid Duck

...This time we have decided to take ME to resort and then when we are ready we will go to Alamo on property and hire one for how ever long we need.

We drive to Disney and even after 20 hours in the car, we still would rather drive to the parks than take the busses. It is a huge help when you want to resort hop for restaurants or take a side trip outside the World. It seems if you are there for an extended time, you may want to take ME, ride the buses for a few days to easily accessible parks, then rent a car later for days with resort meals, early reservations or rope drops. There are rental places on property and it does not cost to park when you are staying at a Disney resort. (Although it is a bit of a walk from GF to self parking.)

Upvote 0

G8rchamps

I do not like to drive to MK because you a\have to transfer at the TTC, but from GF you would certainly just monorail. Having a car for the other resorts or going offsite can be convenient. We live 3 hours away and always have a car. This past weekend it did not move for 3 days... Really depends on your plans (and how well you know your way around, many roads are not named, just signs for parks and resorts.)

Upvote 0

Dafid Duck

I do not like to drive to MK because you a\have to transfer at the TTC, but from GF you would certainly just monorail. Having a car for the other resorts or going offsite can be convenient. We live 3 hours away and always have a car. This past weekend it did not move for 3 days... Really depends on your plans (and how well you know your way around, many roads are not named, just signs for parks and resorts.)

I have always felt a certain amount of "grey area" when it comes to visiting one of the monorail resorts then going to the Magic Kingdom (after a lovely meal).

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

A warning ~ if you rent a car and plan to self-park at the GF, know that the self-parking lot is across the street from the resort and thus it can be quite a hike to your room. Valet is $17 per day. You may want to factor the walk (or valet cost) into your decision.
This ^^^^... (especially having to park in timbucktu) For the cost of a rental car, and valet (if you so choose) you can take a cab anywhere on property to get from point A to point B. This would give you and your family more flexibility time wise as well. A cab ride to AKL from the Poly, was $20 with tip. Just a thought...

Upvote 0

dadddio

We have always rented a car in the past but find it to be a real pain to be honest. It takes do long in the queue after a long flight. This time we have decided to take ME to resort and then when we are ready we will go to Alamo on property and hire one for how ever long we need.

We always rent from National. As such, there is no wait time. We land, get our bags, load them in the car that strikes our fancy, and drive away.

Having a car allows us to easily go wherever we want, when we want.

Go to mass on Sunday? No problem.
Go off-site to shop? No problem.
Pop over to another resort for a meal? No problem.
A day at Universal/Sea World/Beach/geocaching/meet friends & family? No problem.

Plus, you don't have to wait for a bus with a thousand other tired people and their cranky kids after a long day in the park. You don't have to deal with your cranky kid on a bus after a long day in the park.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom