If you rent a car, can you still use the Magical Express to have your bags taken to your resort?

Since1971

We are leaving for the Grand Floridian in a few days. I am thinking about renting a car so that my family has some flexibility with scheduling, but I really like the idea of using the Magical Express to have our bags delivered straight to our resort without having to go through baggage claim. Can you still have your bags delivered to your resort directly without taking the bus to your resort? Also, do you think renting a car is worth it if we are staying in the grand Floridian? I assume that we will take the monorail to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot, but it sounds like Animal Kingdom and Hollywood are more of a trek. Don't want to waste money, but if I can get a good rental car price, the added convenience might be worth it?

disney4life2008

That would be kind of silly (at least to me). If you send your bags you are looking at not getting them for up to 3 hours after arrival (could be longer- I did not get my bags until about 10pm with a noon arrival). If you rent a car you might as well take your bags with you and I am sure at GF at check in they have a bell hop that will take your bags out the car and deliver them to your room. As for renting a car - if you can get a good rate - I always say yes. But if you are looking to save money and will only be doing things on disney property then its not worth it.

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Premium Member
A warning ~ if you rent a car and plan to self-park at the GF, know that the self-parking lot is across the street from the resort and thus it can be quite a hike to your room. Valet is $17 per day. You may want to factor the walk (or valet cost) into your decision.

Upvote 0

Rob562

Officially, you're supposed to have at least one person actually ride the DME bus in order for the luggage to be transported. If you don't have anyone ride the bus, your bags might be transported or they may wind up in some kind of limbo at the airport.

-Rob

Upvote 0

jpittore1

You'll end up paying for parking at the parks if you drive...part of the perk of ME and staying on the property is saving those types of charges. Personally I don't want to drive when I arrive, I want someone to get me to my destination while I catch another quick 30 minute nap so I can be at the park longer.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

You'll end up paying for parking at the parks if you drive...part of the perk of ME and staying on the property is saving those types of charges. Personally I don't want to drive when I arrive, I want someone to get me to my destination while I catch another quick 30 minute nap so I can be at the park longer.
If you're a resort guest you do not have to pay for parking.

Upvote 0

plaz10

Honestly...if you say you're doing DME and they send you the tags - they are just picking up your bags at the airport and taking them to your room. I don't believe they check to see if you actually got on the bus in order to deliver the bags.

I personally think renting a car is a waste - you have free transportation all around Disney World. But bus transportation isn't always 100% reliable as in it doesn't always come exactly when you want it to - but we've never rented a car and never had any major issues in getting around the parks/resorts.

Upvote 0

LAM378

Also, do you think renting a car is worth it if we are staying in the grand Floridian? I assume that we will take the monorail to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot, but it sounds like Animal Kingdom and Hollywood are more of a trek. Don't want to waste money, but if I can get a good rental car price, the added convenience might be worth it?

I loved having a car and will probably always rent one because I don't love buses and I like to visit other resorts. If you can get a good price and plan on doing any resort hopping, go for it. I felt it was a timesaver on arrival and departure days alone, not having to sit on ME. It was nice to be able to stop off for cheap water and snacks, too.

Just a note: even if you can't have your luggage transported on arrival day, you can check it at the airline counter at GF on your departure day. That was a breeze, and a very welcome service at the end of our vacation when we were all exhausted.

Upvote 0

CRad1028

Policy is actually only one person of your party has to ride the bus. It is true because my wife and son ride the ME and I rent a car. That has worked for my last five trips and the last one being on May 12, 2014.

Upvote 0

disney4life2008

Resort guests do not pay for parking at any of the parks.

Upvote 0
We have always rented a car in the past but find it to be a real pain to be honest. It takes do long in the queue after a long flight. This time we have decided to take ME to resort and then when we are ready we will go to Alamo on property and hire one for how ever long we need.

Upvote 0

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
It can be done, 1 or your party should be on the bus, however more than once we haven't had anyone on the ME and our bags made it there anyway.

I strongly disagree with anyone saying renting a car is a waste of money.
In my world time still equals money. If you rent a car you will get so much of your time back. If you're a park hopper or like to go back to the resort for a break during the day and then go shopping at DTD or hit the water parks that's even more time.

Upvote 0

DVCPluto

I think it really depends if you are leaving property or not, and what your vacation plan looks like. If you are only doing WDW, you may wait for a bus - which stinks - but, staying at the GF, you will have amazing access to 2 out of the 4 parks.

Do you plan to go to HS multiple times? AK? Waterparks? DTD? My opinion is that this really depends on your plan.

Either option is great: ME is convenient and fun, and gets you in the disney mood as soon as you get on the bus. Have a car is a time saver for outside of the parks.

Upvote 0

BigTxEars

We have always been car renters, love doing that. I do not think it is a waste of money. This trip we decided to do the DME and then use Disney transportation at WDW. We are at Boardwalk so that will help. The main reason we decided to try is just to have something less to worry about on the trip, plus now we can both drink what we want without worrying about who will drive.

We are not doing the watermarks this trip (we do love both of them though) so that matters as well. I do not want to get on a bus all wet :(

Upvote 0

disney4life2008

If you plan to only stay in the disney bubble a rental car is likely not needed. I tend to not rent a car if I know for fact I do not want to leave disney (and i always regret it). There is something about the freedom to come and go as I please. Yes it is true that having a car is an added expense but for me it means more freedom. I am usually done with disney food beyond day 1. You can only eat so many burgers and dogs before it gets boring. And I rarely will pay the disney prices for TS the exception being Ohana. With a car - I can free to leave the parks midday then go to idrive or 192 and eat at over half the price of disney as well as do other shopping.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom