If you hate photos ... this is not the trip report for you

Over 4,000 pictures later, with full bellies and a happy toddler we have returned back to the cold, snowy, and not as fun state of IL. It's been over a week since we've returned and now full Disney blues has caught on for most of us. So with this snow and cold I thought why not write about the warm 75-82 degree, 10 days of awesome we just came back from.

We left for the magic on February 2nd and returned to yuck on February 12th. Our stay started at Pop Century with a hotel switch at the end to Port Orleans Riverside. Did everything go smoothly? Hmmm .. you'll have to read to see.

Let's introduce the party ...

ry%3D400

Hi! I'm your narrator and photographer who will guide you through the good times and the bad times. I'm Jenni, and I've used so much of the good advice from everyone on this board to plan this trip. (Thank you everyone!!) I also found a great crowd calendar that made our wait times so minimal despite the unexpected crowds. I had my first trip to Disney in 2007 on my honeymoon. We stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge in a Savannah View. I really loved having animals join me for breakfast in the morning. This is where my love for Disney World started. I knew that we had to vacation here every year. This would be my sixth trip to Disney since then. My favorite ride is Splash Mountain, favorite park for rides is Magic Kingdom but ambiance is Hollywood Studios. But really ... I just love everything.

ry%3D400

This is my husband and best friend. We have been together for 10 years, married for 5. He also loves Magic Kingdom for rides but just like me loves the ambiance at Hollywood Studios. He has been to Disney a few times more than me. He is awesome and lets me plan everything. He is the chauffeur this trip and my hero since he saved the day!

ry%3D400

Here is the princess, my DD. Her favorite ride is It's A Small World and she could ride it continuously until they kicked her off. Let's just say for the sake of our sanity, that didn't happen. She's only 2 but she really loves everything about Disney World. She takes in the scenes, loves the rides and likes the characters .. from a distance. This would be her 3rd trip.

My sister-in-law also joined us for the trip but since she wasn't into getting her picture taken I don't really have any for her. Her last trip here was in high school so it's been a while since she has been in the World. So it was like her first time again. It was fun to show her everything and see her reactions to the rides. I love being with first timers.

Last but not least was Heimlich. He joined us for some of the trip. He likes to eat, he's German and is earning his butterfly status. Favorite park, Epcot because of the food.
ry%3D400

So on with the trip report and loads of pictures.

We left the cold state of IL in the early hours of February 2nd. Of course it decides to snow that morning so the drive to the airport was a bit slow. We made it with tons of time to spare so we grabbed breakfast, did a potty break and on we were. I paid the extra $10 to do early bird check-in and it was worth it. We sat 10 rows from the front and practically ran off the plane to get our rental car. We weren't going to waste any time.
ry%3D400

Beautiful skies
ry%3D400

Greeted with this in the sky
ry%3D400

And this also
ry%3D400

And then we saw this

We arrived at Pop Century around 12:00. I had done online check-in. I'm so glad I did because the regular line was about 45 minutes long and there wasn't one person in online check-in. I checked the option to have the room ready upon arrival and to override all our requests. Well the awesome CM was on the phone trying to get us a room. Almost all of our requests were granted, we stayed in 50's and we were on the bottom floor. We wanted a lake view but were willing to sacrifice that for having a room ready. We were in and out of line in 5 minutes. We stayed in 50's last year and it was quiet. This year I was not disappointed, it was very quiet. We did request a pack-and-play and that was not in the room. A quick call to the front desk and we had it to our room within 10 minutes. We were very pleased. Well after a long plane ride all our tummies were grumbling and AOA food court was calling our name. I have to say I wasn't disappointed with the food. The process however was the frustrating part. I think it took about 10 minutes for all of us to get our food and finish the check out process.

I had the meatball sandwich
ry%3D315

DH got the Surf and Surf Burger. We both split our meals and agreed that the meatball was 1,000 times better.
ry%3D400

My Sis-in-law got this sandwich with homemade chips. The chips were good. She liked her sandwich.
ry%3D400

I got the cupcakes for dessert. It was red velvet, chocolate, vanilla and carrot cake. I give it a 6 out of 10. Not bad but not great.
ry%3D400

My DH got this, don't remember what it's called but I called it a garbage brownie. It has every kind of sugar related treat on it .. oh and even brown sugar.
ry%3D400

Next ... Check out AOA and Wishes Dessert Party

juniorthomas

At this point TSMM has opened up and the wait times were at 70 minutes. So we decided that we would just look at some gift shops and head to Mama Melrose's to check in for our reservation. I know that Mama Melrose's has mixed reviews but I've always had a good meal there. We all loved the food. For those of you who haved done the Fanstamic! package you pay a flat rate and you get an appetizer, entree and a dessert tray. I believe the rate was $35 per person. If you have the dining plan then you end up getting an appetizer for free.

My DD in the gift shops
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

My and my DH's appetizer is the Mixed Greens with fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, artichoke hearts, shaved sopressata and I got low fat ranch on the side. It comes with a Red Wine Oregano Vinaigrette

ry%3D400

My SIL got the Cesar Salad

ry%3D400

My SIL got the Piccata di Pesce which is a fresh fish sauteed in a white wine lemon butter sauce with caperberries, spinach, and whole wheat pasta. She loved this.

ry%3D400

I got the chicken alla parmigiana which is oven baked over spaghetti. I get this every time and I'm never disappointed.

ry%3D400

My DH got the Charred Strip Steak with five cheese baked macaroni, aged balsamic-shallot butter and Chianti wine reduction.

My DH has a food allergy so he got some gelato for dessert. My SIL and I shared the dessert platter.

ry%3D400

Included was Tiramisu, Panna Cotta with cranberry compote and Amarettini Cheesecake. We both agreed that the Amarettini Cheesecake was the best but I really liked the cranberry compote. I am not a cranberry fan but these were sweet and semi tart.

ry%3D400

I got a special treat for my birthday. It's a spaghetti and meatball cupcake.

Funny story about our experience at Mama Melrose's. In the middle of our dinner a family got seated next to us. They kept letting their kids play on the floor in between my table and theirs. They were from Brazil and didn't speak English so I couldn't exactly tell them to move. I tried gesturing to them to have them move but they didn't care. At that point I just ignored them but at one point, I just happened to glance down at their youngest (about 5) who was eating a dish rag. Yes you read that correctly, he was eating a dish rag. I did a triple take to make sure it wasn't a misunderstanding. I guess maybe in their mind the dish rag was better than the food.

Why not take a journey into the movies while we let our food settle in our tummies.
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Hmmm .. I don't think were in Kansas anymore Toto .... oh wait that comes later

ry%3D400

First time we've ever gotten the gangster

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Here's looking at you, kid

Does the gangster still do the New Jersey line?

PRNCSAurora

Sounds like you had a great trip! I can't wait to read more. Your daughter is adorable. My daughter will be about that age when we bring her for her first trip.

Dumbo2675

Hello Fellow Member that is from Illinois as well,
I truly enjoy meeting people from my home state that like Disney as much as my family does. What did you think about the Resort at the Pop Century? We have stayed at all the All Star ones and have stayed off Disney at Lake Buena Vista Suites. And other times stayed at my folks old house in Leesburg and would drive down and back each day of our trip. And we go back this October we have thought about trying the Pop Century. Where in IL do you live if you don't mind me asking? Southern IL,Central,or Northern part of the State.

Jennibelle

Original Poster
Hello Fellow Member that is from Illinois as well,
I truly enjoy meeting people from my home state that like Disney as much as my family does. What did you think about the Resort at the Pop Century? We have stayed at all the All Star ones and have stayed off Disney at Lake Buena Vista Suites. And other times stayed at my folks old house in Leesburg and would drive down and back each day of our trip. And we go back this October we have thought about trying the Pop Century. Where in IL do you live if you don't mind me asking? Southern IL,Central,or Northern part of the State.

Hi! We are from the western suburbs of Chicago. This would have been our second time at Pop Century. I really like it. We have stayed both times in the 50's (opposite of the pool) and we like it. The 50's section is quiet but it's not too far from the main building. I also love that you can walk across the bridge and visit Art of Animation. The rooms are small but if you've stayed at the All Stars then you already know that. I like the food court. They have a nice variety and it tastes good. We are going back in September and we are going to end up staying at Art of Animation. I hope you guys have a nice trip in October. How long will you be there?

Jennibelle

Original Poster
Does the gangster still do the New Jersey line?

The "wait, where am I, Joisey?", line? (or something like that)

sounds like fun... ready to read more

Working on more now! :)

I'm in! loving your pictures and commentary x

Thank you! More is on the way!

Sounds like you had a great trip! I can't wait to read more. Your daughter is adorable. My daughter will be about that age when we bring her for her first trip.

Awe she will have so much fun! It's a good age and since it's her first trip seeing everything through her eyes is going to be a great experience for you also. Thanks for reading! :)

93boomer

Premium Member
Still enjoying the pictures!! Your DD is soo cute!! She reminds me of my DD at that age just enjoying WDW!
Wonderful TR!

Jennibelle

Original Poster
Wow that CM is rude!!

Magic Kingdom here we come!! We get there about 20 minutes after open and the lines were long but not horrible. We go into the RFID lines because they are shorter. Let me tell you about issue #1,000,982 with the RFID Turnstiles. You have no idea where they are or where a line for them starts. So for every turnstile there are two to three different lines that people made up. It would be like if you had a high way with no lanes. People were getting angry and upset because they felt they were in the right line.

We finally get to a turnstile, which we luckily were lined up in front of, and the guy in front of us was having an issue with his card on the second RFID. Instead of sending him to the CM with the scanner the CM took him to the first RFID so I walked up to the second. I saw that the CM was looking at me so I scanned my card and finger, it went green so I walked up and waited for my party. Here comes the drama ....

I have to say this was my first and last horrible encounter with a CM. In the six trips we've made we have never had a bad experience with a CM. This CM steps in front of me and goes "Let me see your card", you know like a bouncer in a bar to an underage drinker. So I gave it to him, he scans it and gives it back. So I figured all was good and I start to walk away. As I'm walking away from him he says with this horrible tone, "Um ... Next time scan your card" (with the "um" and "scan" emphasized). Someone hold me back ... okay maybe it wasn't that bad.

I walk back over to him, get his attention and say in the same tone he gave me, "Um... Actually, I did scan my card thanks!" (as i waved my card in the air). Okay I get it, you are thinking, "well that doesn't sound too bad" It was one of those, 'you had to be there', things but his tone was what upset me and the fact that he didn't even say it to my face. I found another CM (who was supervising the process) and complained. I told him how rude this man was to me, how that’s not ever okay to talk to someone like that and how I felt that he needs to be talked to about his attitude. The manager was extremely apologetic about it and told me that he would make sure that it was addressed. Frankly they just need to understand that the My Magic+ and RFID next gen is not ready and they need to not try and roll it out. Or they need to train their CM's better.

Save the drama for your mama .. on to the pictures. That's what you're here for anyway right?

First stop .. Haunted Mansion

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Oh yes .. The DD's favorite ride ... again
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Time to FP Peter Pan

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

juniorthomas

The "wait, where am I, Joisey?", line? (or something like that)

Working on more now! :)

Thank you! More is on the way!

Awe she will have so much fun! It's a good age and since it's her first trip seeing everything through her eyes is going to be a great experience for you also. Thanks for reading! :)

That's the one. As someone who lives in Jersey, we always razz the gangster about it...

Killnme

A couple of things.
1- Where did you take the picture of what I think is the snow globe with the witch's head in it?
2- I never understood how a ride like Peter Pan (you know with a moving belt) is always so backed up.

Great photos!

Jennibelle

Original Poster
Did you think this day gets better?

We rode a few rides and I really wanted to try BOG for lunch. The line was over the bridge and wrapped half way to Gaston's. I didn't really care how long the line was, I really just wanted to try it. The CM that was directing the line told us it would be an hour. I was thinking .. ugh boo, but I'll wait. It was barely 30 minutes to get in and order. I was pretty entertained by all the detail they put into it. Pictures below:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

These guys make noise by coughing, clearing their throats and even talking. It's pretty cool
ry%3D400

You go up the kiosk, order and scan the rose they give you

ry%3D400

We sat in the ballroom, the detail here was beautiful especially the ceiling. The snow falling in the windows was a nice touch.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

About five minutes later our food came out. *disclaimer* Please don't let the following discourage you because it could happen anywhere.** The food looked good as it came out but ....

ry%3D400

I had the steak sandwich with garlic butter spread and Pomme Frites

ry%3D400

DH had the Croque Monsieur Sandwich - Grilled sandwich of carved Ham, Gyurere Cheese and Bechamel with Pomme Frites

ry%3D400

SIL got the Braised Pork - Slow cooked with vegetables and bacon with mashed potatoes and Green beans Jardiniere

ry%3D400

I got the Strawberry Cream cheese

ry%3D400

DH got the Lemon Meringue

ry%3D400

SIL got the Triple Chocolate

I took a bite out of my sandwich and pulled something from my mouth. At first I thought it was just a part of a stringy piece of lettuce but was mistaken after I pulled it out. It was a hair. I seriously didn't know what to do. Was I being punished for being a crabby pants earlier to the CM that scowled at me? I found a CM and explained my findings and she got a manager. Oh no!! I'm 'that' person at the restaurant. I felt like everyone was looking at me. I told the manager what I found and she offered to get me something else. I wasn't really feeling hungry but told her that I would take the carved turkey to go. I was hungry but just lost my appetite. That didn't stop me from eating my cupcake and trying my DH's. This is why I say don't get discouraged. My DH and SIL loved their meals. My cupcake was awesome and my favorite cupcake so far in Disney. The lemon meringue tasted more like a lemon flavored Twinkie with a marshmallow type frosting. Not bad but not as good as the strawberry.

ry%3D400

The West Wing

Next .. This day will get better ... or

Jennibelle

Original Poster
A couple of things.
1- Where did you take the picture of what I think is the snow globe with the witch's head in it?
2- I never understood how a ride like Peter Pan (you know with a moving belt) is always so backed up.

Great photos!

1.That was at Villains in Vogue at Hollywood Studios. It's a Madame Leota from the Haunted Mansion.

2. I'm sure it's part FP returns, it only holds two, and it seems like a slower moving belt than buzz or finding nemo. If none of those .. then I have no idea.

Jennibelle

Original Poster
Despite the lunch setback I wasn't about to let it ruin my day.

PUSH was showing these kids his mommy and daddy can.

ry%3D400

The People Mover is my go to relaxation ride.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

It's a great big beautiful tomorrow! This always makes me smile and the song stays in my head like 'call me maybe'

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We went back to the resort to relax and went to Epcot. With not a lot of time there we decided to ride Finding Nemo again and go see the fish. I've never seen the fish in their nightime lighting. It was a fun game to try and find the fish that were hiding/sleeping.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Dumbo2675

Hi! We are from the western suburbs of Chicago. This would have been our second time at Pop Century. I really like it. We have stayed both times in the 50's (opposite of the pool) and we like it. The 50's section is quiet but it's not too far from the main building. I also love that you can walk across the bridge and visit Art of Animation. The rooms are small but if you've stayed at the All Stars then you already know that. I like the food court. They have a nice variety and it tastes good. We are going back in September and we are going to end up staying at Art of Animation. I hope you guys have a nice trip in October. How long will you be there?
We will be there from the 8th until the 13th. but if the economy keeps going in the ground like it is we might have to hold off until February of next year. Thanks for you input on the Pop Century. Hope you have a great time when you go in September. How Long would you be going for?

Jennibelle

Original Poster
Can you tell we park hop a lot? In our trip in September we are not getting the park hopper. What will we do.

Finding Nemo again? Didn't we just see these fish?

Well the fish are awake and while SIL and DH got FP for Soarin', DD and I went to see her friend Nemo.

ry%3D400

"Mommy I found Nemo. He has too many friends"
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Had a snack while waiting for DH to finish with Soarin'
ry%3D400

Rode this and took the SIL to see Captain EO. My SIL's line of the day was .. not only see but hear .. WUUUU
ry%3D400

Meet the Princess? Okay

Immediately upon entry of MK we grabbed FP to meet the Princesses. The CM babysitting the kiosk kept telling us we all needed FP. I think we had to explain to her three times that it was just the DD and I that were going to see them.

First stop Peco Bills (sorry no pics) I zoomed past the crowd to Tony's so we could meet them.

First stop .. Rapunzel

ry%3D400

The other princesses pictures are on my photopass+ so as soon as I get that I'll post those pictures.

My DH got 999,999 and earned his galactic hero pin. When you become an official galactic hero, take a pic with your phone/camera and bring it to the photopass desk. You get a pin that shows your hero status. I stole his pin so I could get all the compliments on my hero status.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Peoplemover fun!!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom