If you can only go once...

aliceismad

If you knew that in the next 5+ years you'd probably only get one chance to take a weeklong trip to WDW, would you go in 2019? Or would you wait?

For background, my daughter turns 5 next spring. Part of me says wait until she's a little older. Part of me says it will be magical for her now when she loves all the characters. She begs to go on the Slinky coaster every time we see a commercial for it. She is already 40+ inches, so she will be able to ride most of the rides, as long as she's not afraid. For the big rides, I'm perfectly fine with rider swap or skipping them. We'd also love lounging around the pool/resort and doing some other activities, since hubby is definitely not a rope-drop-to-close kind of guy.

We are able next year to go during non-peak travel time but may not be able to in years after. Going before Star Wars, Epcot 40th, and Magic Kingdom 50th is awfully tempting. Crowds are not our thing.

Now, we could probably squeeze in a trip to Disneyland, since my extended family wants to go in 2020-2021, but Orlando is probably a one-and-done, at least until 2025 or so.

Help! Please?

JIMINYCR

Our DS was young on our first trip and remembers very little about the details, but we have some wonderful pics and videos of the trip that we treasure. Some people do find traveling with a younger one more hectic, trying to keep some regular schedule and dealing with crankiness, so they prefer to wait til the kids are older. I'm glad we went when we did. If you can plan things out and take breaks when needed, I'd say go ahead and enjoy the trip now. Just dont be one of those parents that push the boundaries and lose their patience when the child is pushed beyond their limits. WDW can be a wonderful place for young families with young kids if done properly.

Upvote 0

MomofPrincessGrace

5 is the perfect age! My daughter's first trip was for her 5th birthday. That was 3 years ago and she still talks about all the fun stuff we did on that trip. Although she still finds it just as magical at 8, its not quite the same amazement (especially with characters) as it was at age 5.

Upvote 0

Raegansmommy

You only regret the trip you didn't take :). Make the memories while they are young! We took our oldest daughter when she was 18 months and 2 1/2. Then we did not go again until she was 8 and my youngest was 5. We have gone the last 2 years and are going again this year. They love Disney and I love to hear them talk about the trips! My youngest is already talking about next year!

Upvote 0

aliceismad

Original Poster
"Never put off what you can do sooner."

I love this!

Following your advice! We just rented some DVC points and have a place to stay for at least part of the trip. Looking into AoA or one of the moderates to round out the stay. I'm so excited!

Upvote 0

BraveGirl

Ditto to everyone - go! My 8 year old is already over princesses, so a lot of the magic with respect to that stuff is gone. She's still a Disney nut like her momma though, we just enjoy more "grown up" things. My 5 year old, however, is still enamored with the princesses and loves everything about Disney. It's a great age!

Upvote 0

aliceismad

Original Poster
My biggest (and really only) fear is that some ride scares her and then she doesn't want to do anything beyond Pooh-level, which I would still be fine with. I'm hoping because we're able to be there longer we can ease her into some things. Try out the Goofy coaster first and then move on to bigger if she's comfortable, etc. I'll just make FPs for the bigger rides later in the week. (I managed to talk my hubby into two magical days at WDW when kiddo was 2, and she still talks about not liking the pirate cannons, though I'm sure she'll be over that after we watch some YouTubes of the ride.)

Is there anything your little ones were afraid of?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JillC LI

5-6 is a perfect first trip age Our first trip was when our kids were 5 and 7 because we wanted to wait until the younger one was out of a stroller. It made it a lot easier not to use one (although some will say get it anyway so the kids can rest - we didn't need it).

But be warned - we were hooked, and a one-time trip turned into an addiction! LOL. We're going on our 10th Disney trip this year (including DLR and DLP)!

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

5-6 is a perfect first trip age Our first trip was when our kids were 5 and 7 because we wanted to wait until the younger one was out of a stroller. It made it a lot easier not to use one (although some will say get it anyway so the kids can rest - we didn't need it).

But be warned - we were hooked, and a one-time trip turned into an addiction! LOL. We're going on our 10th Disney trip this year (including DLR and DLP)!

Ditto! We did the same thing, although the "no diapers, no strollers" ages for us ended up being 4 and 6.

I will say that our then-6-year-old still has memories from his first trip to WDW, while the then-4-year-old doesn't remember it at all, so there must be some magic memory milestone in between those ages - at least in our family. Regardless, it was a wonderful age to take them and they had a fabulous time. We, too, ended up plotting a return trip to WDW much sooner than we had thought we would, after that first trip... :) when the kids are small, they change so much in between visits that they get something totally new out of it every time.

Upvote 0

JillC LI

...when the kids are small, they change so much in between visits that they get something totally new out of it every time.
Exactly! Our first trip was all their excitement over about meeting characters. Our second trip was all about pin trading. Our third trip was all about trying some of the more thrilling rides. And each trip since has been special in its own way.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom