If walt had more money would disneyland been bigger?

Well, yeah, if he had more money.

The thing is that he went all out on his spending to make DL a success. If Disneyland had not been a success, Walt would have been bankrupt.

agent86

Do you think if Walt had more money would Disneyland have been bigger?

Well, yeah, if he had more money.

Don't be so quick to come to that conclusion. If we are to base this speculation on what Walt himself said on various occasions, Disneyland would likely not have been any bigger than it is already. Walt never talked about how he wished he'd made the park bigger. In fact, the size of Disneyland was actually by design, largely because Walt wanted it to have an intimate feel and he didn't want people to get worn out trying to see the whole park. The one thing that Walt did say that he wished he'd done was to buy more land surrounding Disneyland so that he could have done a better job of keeping the outside world out of guests' view.

It's true that when the company bought the land in Florida, Walt said, "In Florida we have something we never had with Disneyland...the blessing of size. There is enough land here to build all of the dreams we can possibly imagine." However, what he meant by that statement was that they could continue to build new things (as the company has done over the decades). That statement didn't refer to individual sizes of the theme parks. In fact, in Walt's time, the only theme park he ever envisioned existing on the Florida property was the "second Disneyland" (which of course became Magic Kingdom). Magic Kingdom is larger than Disneyland, but only by about 20 acres, and details such as the acreage of the park was not something that was firmly planned while Walt was still alive. Nothing else on the property was ever intended to be a theme park.

But really, wouldn't it be safe to say that because he spent most if not all of his money building DL, if he had a couple extra thousand dollars or more that he would have used it?

Building DL for him was an all or nothing thing as I said in the second part of my post.

Wilt Dasney

We'll never know for sure, but I think the best evidence against it is Magic Kingdom...built with all the money and property Disney could want, and still not much bigger than Disneyland.

I suppose you could argue that Disneyland's footprint had already established a precedent by then and they wanted the two parks to be identifiable counterparts, but my guess is that if they had ever had the ideas and will to create a bigger Disneyland, they would have...in Florida.

agent86

But really, wouldn't it be safe to say that because he spent most if not all of his money building DL, if he had a couple extra thousand dollars or more that he would have used it?

Well first off, even in the mid 1950's, "a couple extra thousand dollars" wouldn't have been enough to make the park bigger. :hammer: Secondly, the size of the park wasn't something that was limited by the budget. I'm sure Walt would have done even more if he'd had more money to work with. But to assume that would automatically translate into a "bigger park" reflects rather 2-dimensional thinking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom