If the descent touchscreens were in Project Tomorrow,they wouldn't even draw a crowd!

Pseybert

Original Poster
Honestly, how is it that I am smarter than WDI these days? Instead of spending a huge amount of money on so many touch screens for a stupid flash animation, why didn't they just create like five of these stations and set them up in Project Tomorrow?

There wouldn't even be a line to use them! You would go up to it, answer 5 questions, have your picture taken, and voila! Now we have millions more to spend on making Spaceship Earth a decent attraction! There is NO REASON for this crap to be on an omnimover ride!

Your point is valid and appreciated, but opening yet another post to moan over the touchscreens is as valid as the screens themselves. The screens are there to stay folks, let's let this horse rest in peace. :xmas:

RonAnnArbor

That's just ridiculous. The touchscreens are there because they are advertising for Siemens. They are there to stay as long as Siemen's sponsors SSE.

BSikor

I was on yesterday and now that the riders faces are on the characters, I heard SO many people laughing at the descent video. People loved it. I even though it made the video better and more enjoyable. Sorry charlie, like the old days of Horizons when you could choose your tomorrow... Majority rules and its starting to sound like the majority likes it.

DisneyAnole

I was on yesterday and now that the riders faces are on the characters, I heard SO many people laughing at the descent video. People loved it. I even though it made the video better and more enjoyable. Sorry charlie, like the old days of Horizons when you could choose your tomorrow... Majority rules and its starting to sound like the majority likes it.

Doesn't matter. In a year's time, it'll look dated and the novelty will have worn off. But so what? The only people who will tire of it are the people who visit the parks regularly.

LeeSeeBabe

Now, I have been one that was avoiding any and all SSE threads. However, I think that this comment is rather unnecessary. I was going to wait until SSE officially opened in February to ride it, but as soon as the bf and I walked into Epcot, SSE was loading (a small line at that) I just couldn't resist.

I will always love the old SSE, but I love the new SSE and I can't wait to see the finished product.

Maerj

Doesn't matter. In a year's time, it'll look dated and the novelty will have worn off. But so what? The only people who will tire of it are the people who visit the parks regularly.

That and wasn't Spaceship Earth supposed to be an inspirational kind of ride? I don't think it was ever intended to be funny... maybe that's why so many on here are unhappy with the ending? :shrug:

Thelazer

They could even print out little stickers with your face on them! Oh wait sorry, go over to the boardwalk outside the ESPN club and you can do that already.

But, you’re not smarter than WDI. If you could sell a project on the idea that slapping your face on a video is "cute" and that guests will love it and then get it signed off, built and collect your bonus, then move onto the next job as a freelancer for another company and do it all over again... then you'd be smarter than WDI.

Honestly, how is it that I am smarter than WDI these days? Instead of spending a huge amount of money on so many touch screens for a stupid flash animation, why didn't they just create like five of these stations and set them up in Project Tomorrow?

If there were like five of these stations, there wouldn't even be a line to use them! You would go up to it, answer 5 questions, have your picture taken, and voila! Now we have millions more to spend on making Spaceship Earth a decent attraction! There is NO REASON for this crap to be on an omnimover ride!

jedimaster1227

Honestly, how is it that I am smarter than WDI these days?

Definitely not true. There is a plan for every project WDI has, and just because you don't see it in use during a soft opening doesn't mean that it won't be there eventually. Remember this when judging SSE or any soft opened attractions. Don't expect the complete experience until the attraction is officially open, when WDI hands it over to the park management.

And in all honesty, I have to ask where you think comparisons may be brought up. NoLimits or Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 projects don't make you smarter than an Imagineer.

DisneyAnole

Definitely not true. There is a plan for every project WDI has, and just because you don't see it in use during a soft opening doesn't mean that it won't be there eventually. Remember this when judging SSE or any soft opened attractions. Don't expect the complete experience until the attraction is officially open, when WDI hands it over to the park management.

And in all honesty, I have to ask where you think comparisons may be brought up. NoLimits or Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 projects don't make you smarter than an Imagineer.

Um, what was the plan for Stitch or MILF or Pooh's Playground or the SSE descent or DCA or Dinoland? Please don't act like these people are infallible. They aren't. They're subject to making mistakes and for all I know the OP is the equal of any given Imagineer. I don't know why people feel the need to put WDI on a pedestal when it's been clear for some time that they aren't in the same league as the original WED designers.

jedimaster1227

Um, what was the plan for Stitch or MILF or Pooh's Playground or the SSE descent or DCA or Dinoland? Please don't act like these people are infallible. They aren't. They're subject to making mistakes and for all I know the OP is the equal of any given Imagineer. I don't know why people feel the need to put WDI on a pedestal when it's been clear for some time that they aren't in the same league as the original WED designers.

MILF has gotten much better. Stitch is a fair attraction, regardless of the chili dog smell. Pooh's Playground is just that- a playground. It is meant to be such, while not hindering the available land behind it where Magic Kingdom's next major attraction will go. Ever wonder why the Grotto was kept even though the lagoon was filled? :animwink:

I don't think we are putting them up on a pedestal, but for someone to compare themselves to someone that has proven their work can be executed (how well is something to be taken objectively), while someone claiming they can do better with no support leads me to believe it is just talk. Green lights on blue sky projects speak way more than a coaster simulation on a $20.00 simulator program.

brkgnews

While keeping to my word about not speaking any further about SSE's descent, I'll point out that there are still times in Imageworks where you have to wait for other folks to finish if you want to get your photo taken at the camera postcard thingies there.

wickedfan07

Ah, nothing is ever as good as the original. Its a very good thing that Disney gets new customers every day. If the company was stuck with customers only like some of the people on this forum, the mouse would have been out of business a long time ago. Things change.

The original Imagineers weren't infallible either. Humans make mistakes, and the original Imagineers and Walt disney himself were no different that the Imagineers of today. The only difference is that some people are nostalgic for the past--the "good ol' days"--the days of those old Imagineers. And nothing that happens today is good enough. But fifty years from now, these will be the good old days. You see where this is going... Not everything is perfect, but not every past attraction was perfect either.

ann0d

If there were like five of these stations, there wouldn't even be a line to use them! You would go up to it, answer 5 questions, have your picture taken, and voila! Now we have millions more to spend on making Spaceship Earth a decent attraction! There is NO REASON for this crap to be on an omnimover ride!

I have to agree with you! I am disappointed. Seems they are getting away from animatronics (Journey to Imagination and Gran Fiesta are other examples) and trying to do things the cheap way! I was truely disappointed in Epcot this time ( I wasn't there for 4 years) and not happy with some of the changes. If I want to look at at a movie or computer I can do that at home!

DisneyAnole

Ah, nothing is ever as good as the original. Its a very good thing that Disney gets new customers every day. If the company was stuck with customers only like some of the people on this forum, the mouse would have been out of business a long time ago. Things change.

The original Imagineers weren't infallible either. Humans make mistakes, and the original Imagineers and Walt disney himself were no different that the Imagineers of today. The only difference is that some people are nostalgic for the past--the "good ol' days"--the days of those old Imagineers. And nothing that happens today is good enough. But fifty years from now, these will be the good old days. You see where this is going... Not everything is perfect, but not every past attraction was perfect either.

I'm not basing my opinion on nostalgia. I think TOT is creatively one the top 3 rides at WDW. Other newer attractions like Philharmagic and DL's Indiana Jones are certainly jewels in the Imagineering crown. But look at all the duds these guys and gals have built in the last 10 years. MILF may be vastly improved but it's still a disappointment. It's a copy of Turtle Talk that isn't as entertaining as the original. If it wasn't across the walkway from one of the worst Disney attractions ever, I imagine MILF would be considered an unequivocal failure.

Mission: Space (and Everst, too) had the potential to really deliver in a thoroughly engaging way, but ultimately, they're not up to classic WDI standards in terms of giving the audience an unforgettable show (M:S might be more successful at this than Everest is).

But I still think this generation of Imagineers isn't up to the creative standards of WED circa 1969. I don't think that's being nostalgic, just realistic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom