If E.P.C.O.T. was REALLY created...

cymbaldiva

I think that Walt was just born far ahead of his time. Fortunately for us we do get to enjoy at least a tiny bit of his visions :)

Herbie53

Premium Member
To address Mr. P's comments about the social issues, I'd like to point out that Walt was setting himself up to be a benevolent dictator. In EPCOT, employment would have been a requirement, people could be thrown out for bad morals (e.g. a couple living together but not married), there were going to be dress codes, and there would be no property owners (everyone would rent). Walt would have really had to deliver a true utopia for people to put up with such a loss of freedom.

Like someone said, maybe Walt would have ended up turning EPCOT into a theme park himself. Afterall, he wasn't stupid. I'm sure as development continued he'd realize how much he'd have to compromise on his vision. Perhaps he'd give-in to reality.

jmarc63

And another thing is compared to the original E.P.C.O.T plan nothing at WDW is where it is now. The MK was west of where it is now it's position was to be on the other side of what now is the canel that links to the rivers of america an where they store the seven seas evening light show durring the day and the lagoon itself wasnt even in the plan at all and the monorail was to dead end at MK like the Vegas Monorails do now. I think that was roys decision to do

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by Herbie53
To address Mr. P's comments about the social issues, I'd like to point out that Walt was setting himself up to be a benevolent dictator. In EPCOT, employment would have been a requirement, people could be thrown out for bad morals (e.g. a couple living together but not married), there were going to be dress codes, and there would be no property owners (everyone would rent). Walt would have really had to deliver a true utopia for people to put up with such a loss of freedom.

That sounds a lot like Celebration! As for throwing out people with bad morals, I dont know if Celebration does it, but I would agree with it.

Sketch105

Celebration looks a lot like a high scale housing project, not really a city of the future. I don't see it becoming what Walt wanted EPCOT to be, but people keep saying that it is.

Why is Disney (or its subsidiary company) doing this? Base ideas anyone?

Disney is a profit company, and its building a city for what? Walt's vision? I don't see that clearly. Look at DCA or Hong Kong. Heck, Walt was a man who could not keep his attention with one thing. From cartoons to tv to animated films to Disneyland. He wanted to keep moving. After Florida's Magic Kingdom, I think that was going to be it for the Disney theme park. I don't see him copycatting his own ideas on other continents.

(PAUSE: Before you become hasty, let me explain. Although people argue that Disneyland Paris and Tokyo are different
then there counterparts in the US, they are but they aren't. They still follow the Magic Kingdom formula, and that can be dangerous if explored too much. Look at Tokyo DisneySeas compared to its Magic Kingdom neighbor. Thats what I'm looking for in a different theme park.)

Walt's vision of the future had all the technology that encompassed the theme parks (the WEDWAY Peoplemover, the monorail, etc.). That's not being used in Celebration. And yes, Walt's vision of the future (in the 60s, mind you) is much different than our culture today. Restrctions on morals and dress codes would cause a uprising in today's society. People debate local community rules and regulations with fury when they want to expand a street, nevermind a dress code. These would not work in today's society.

But it was a pretty good vision with good intentions.

jmarc63

Just some food for thought. on some of the covenances at Celebration.

In the very historic new england area there are many towns Picticulary in Massachutes around the Boston area that you can't just buy a property and do a Mr "T" and ripout trees. In these communities in New england you are limited to how you can landscape , what the colors are on the house and even to put an addition on you have to go to a committe and get approval for these things. So this is not just an E.P.C.O.T.inspired rule or a disney being a bully or a dictator to citizens. there has long been presedent for such rules long before Eisner or Disney. In fact I think this it where Walt might of gotten the Idea for the restrictions. If you ever watched This old House you see this come up every other season of programs.

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by jmarc63
Just some food for thought. on some of the covenances at Celebration.

In the very historic new england area there are many towns Picticulary in Massachutes around the Boston area that you can't just buy a property and do a Mr "T" and ripout trees. In these communities in New england you are limited to how you can landscape , what the colors are on the house and even to put an addition on you have to go to a committe and get approval for these things. So this is not just an E.P.C.O.T.inspired rule or a disney being a bully or a dictator to citizens. there has long been presedent for such rules long before Eisner or Disney. In fact I think this it where Walt might of gotten the Idea for the restrictions. If you ever watched This old House you see this come up every other season of programs.

I've read about that...the Boston reference reminded me! I don't watch This Old House though! :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom