If disney had alot of money, would they buy all of the motels around DLR?

There would honestly be no amount of money that Disney were to offer the owners of the motels. Millions come through the Anaheim area every year, and a quite a few of them stay in those motels around the resort.

Mirroring EPCOT_Explorer, it just makes too much business sense for the owners not to sell.

agent86

There would honestly be no amount of money that Disney were to offer the owners of the motels. Millions come through the Anaheim area every year, and a quite a few of them stay in those motels around the resort.

Mirroring EPCOT_Explorer, it just makes too much business sense for the owners not to sell.

I agree with your thought process. For the record though, I don't think that's how Epcot Explorer meant it. I think it was meant as a joke (As in, it would make too much business sense for Disney to make such a move like that).

EPCOT Explorer

I agree with your thought process. For the record though, I don't think that's how Epcot Explorer meant it. I think it was meant as a joke (As in, it would make too much business sense for Disney to make such a move like that).

Right. And in it is the joke.:rolleyes::lol::

I'm assuming you meant that it would make too much business sense coming from Disney, right Epcot Explorer?

I turned it around to be in the owner's point of view. I got the joke.

ValentineMouse

Didn't Disney buy up a couple surrounding hotels to build Downtown Disney (I think it was a Marriot)? From my experience, the hotels and motels around the area don't seem to be getting sooo much business that a good offer from Disney wouldn't swing them over.

And you know the lower quality housing near Disney? I have a friend who thinks Disney's purposefully keeping it like that so if they ever need to buy more land there's a bunch of people that would welcome a good price. Lol, no evidence there, but its a funny thought!

Looking at a Google Earth time-lapse (Brilliant new feature, BTW) it looks like there was a building where DTD is now.

The owners have already stated time and time again that they would never sell their prime hotel spots to Disney. How can they sell? Like I said earlier, there are millions upon millions of people that come to Disneyland every year, and there are only so many Disney-owned hotel rooms. If I were one of the owners, it would take an ENORMOUS offer in the tens of billions to sell that property, thinking about future profit. Disneyland's not going away anytime soon, and as long as it's still standing, tourists will come in droves.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Didn't Disney buy up a couple surrounding hotels to build Downtown Disney (I think it was a Marriot)? From my experience, the hotels and motels around the area don't seem to be getting sooo much business that a good offer from Disney wouldn't swing them over.

And you know the lower quality housing near Disney? I have a friend who thinks Disney's purposefully keeping it like that so if they ever need to buy more land there's a bunch of people that would welcome a good price. Lol, no evidence there, but its a funny thought!

Downtown Disney and DCA are built on what was previously the parking lot for the Disneyland Park. They didn't originally own the Disneyland hotel, that was purchased back in 1988 in the same deal that made them the owners of the Spruce Goose and the Queen Mary (later sold). The developer who had built the hotel wouldn't sell it unless they bought everything.

In the mid 90's they purchased the Pan Pacific hotel and renamed it the Disneyland Pacific Hotel. It was to later be renamed the Paradise Pier hotel in 2000 just south of the Disneyland Hotel on West Street because of its location behind the Paradise Pier section of Disney's California Adventure under construction at that time.

During the development of DCA and the Downtown Disney area, a whole range of other things happened. They had been trying to buy the land north of the Disneyland Hotel on West Street for many years and it finally came available to them which was a prereq for the development of DCA. They had to build the large parking garage since they were going to fill the parking lot with DCA and Downtown Disney. They then worked with the local community and state to modify the highway ramps off of I-5 and also to develop the bridge over West Street (now known as Disneyland Drive north of Katella Avenue) to easily connect the Disneyland Hotel to Downtown Disney.

If you look at aerial maps on Google you'll see the large parking lot areas surrounding the hotels which are clearly opportunities for additional resort capacity in the future should the demand warrant it. You'll also see a plot of land on the northwest corner of Katella and Harbor which is the southeast corner of the Disneyland property that they've yet to be able acquire and as a result the parking entrance wraps right around these two properties. I'm sure they'd like to get this for a whole host of reasons but have been unable to strike a deal with the current owner to acquire it.

A little know fact is the large piece of land they own that is just half a block away from that intersection. A satellite image of the area south of Katella and East of Harbor shows a couple of big parking lots, what looks like a bunch of farmland and a couple of small other establishments. Disney actually owns most of this block and it has been identified as the location that any potential third Anaheim park would be located in the future after the DCA is stabilized and additional growth is desired. Disney actually produced a graphic a number of years ago that specifically noted this as the future 3rd park location. One item discussed at the time for this site was a Waterpark similar to the ones at WDW.

While it's true they have been pushing to keep low-cost housing in the area whenever they can, it's been more of an effort to ensure their cast members had affordable housing in the area of the park, vs. an effort to depress land values. If there isn't affordable housing available, they'll likely have difficult staffing the necessary roles at the park.

Thanks for clearing that up. That part of history is rather sketchy for me.

A little know fact is the large piece of land they own that is just half a block away from that intersection. A satellite image of the area south of Katella and East of Harbor shows a couple of big parking lots, what looks like a bunch of farmland and a couple of small other establishments. Disney actually owns most of this block and it has been identified as the location that any potential third Anaheim park would be located in the future after the DCA is stabilized and additional growth is desired. Disney actually produced a graphic a number of years ago that specifically noted this as the future 3rd park location. One item discussed at the time for this site was a Waterpark similar to the ones at WDW.

That piece of land is the leading candidate for the 3rd Gate. People have already started trying to figure out orientation (where the entrance, parking lot, etc. will be).

Disneybird

Thanks for clearing that up. That part of history is rather sketchy for me.

That piece of land is the leading candidate for the 3rd Gate. People have already started trying to figure out orientation (where the entrance, parking lot, etc. will be).

When we were there in Jan., we were told Disney once offered the farmer a huge amount of money for that land. I think we were told he grew strawberries. Anyway, he wanted the land to stay in his family and wouldn't sell. Of course, he died and his children then offered to sell the property and Disney only paid about 1/2 of the original offer. But the family is still allowed to farm the land for now.

donsullivan

Premium Member
When we were there in Jan., we were told Disney once offered the farmer a huge amount of money for that land. I think we were told he grew strawberries. Anyway, he wanted the land to stay in his family and wouldn't sell. Of course, he died and his children then offered to sell the property and Disney only paid about 1/2 of the original offer. But the family is still allowed to farm the land for now.

You are correct on that one. It was actually two brothers who when Disney offered to buy the land said that they didn't know what else to do but to raise strawberries. That was all they had ever done and they didn't want to stop. They passed away very close to each other in time and the family agreed to sell all of the land to Disney.

Disneybird

You are correct on that one. It was actually two brothers who when Disney offered to buy the land said that they didn't know what else to do but to raise strawberries. That was all they had ever done and they didn't want to stop. They passed away very close to each other in time and the family agreed to sell all of the land to Disney.

With that kind of money, I bet I could have found plenty of things to do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom