Idol Show, New Details

aladdin2007

Original Poster
In our local Melbourne Florida paper this morning there was a huge article about the new Idol show and the cover art, which I have to say looks better in print even.
But a couple things that I dont think have been covered over in the other Idol thread. The article says its a yet-unnamed attraction, and that there will probably be six to eight shows a day.
Its easier just to post the actual article so here it is below. But really it seems to me like its a hyped up version of superstar television, so really its an attraction sort of like what was there before (in the loose sense of the theme I know but its not that out of balence I dont think?
I still cant get use to Idol being associated with Disney and part of a Disney park, that part bothers me. But the attraction/show theme itself is pretty much a fit. Although when I told my mom the news she said "wow are they getting tacky!!!

Disney World is about to get a little pitchy, dawg.

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts announced plans Thursday to create a live performance attraction based on “American Idol” at Disney’s Hollywood Studios theme park — formerly called Disney-MGM Studios — in Lake Buena Vista.

“Our goal is to try to recreate the excitement of those 24 people who show up on that ’American Idol’ stage,” Disney Parks chairman Jay Rasulo told The Associated Press. “We believe many, many viewers want to know exactly how that feels, and we’re going to try to reproduce that feeling for them.”

Much like the hugely popular Fox singing competition, the as-yet-unnamed attraction — scheduled to open in late 2008 — will allow theme park guests to audition then perform before a live studio audience inside the Hollywood Studios’ theater space formerly occupied by the “Doug Live!” and “Superstar Television” attractions.

Disney licensed the rights to create the attraction from “Idol” co-producers 19 Entertainment and FremantleMedia, despite the fact “American Idol” airs on Fox and Disney owns broadcast competitor ABC.

“It is owned by us, so we can extend the brand in the off-air space in the ways that we want to,” said Keith Hindle, FremantleMedia’s licensing vice president. “We don’t see this in any way as a NewsCorp. vs. Disney debate. That’s never been part of the discussion, and it’s not something that’s relevant to us. It’s just part of ’American Idol.’”

The attraction’s details are still being worked out, but it will probably operate something like this: Theme park guests ages 14 and up will be able to audition for a Disney casting producer. Those who pass the test will be selected to appear in one of the park’s “Idol” stage shows. Rasulo anticipates six to eight such shows a day.

Backstage, the performers will receive hair and makeup touchups from a stylist and singing tips from a vocal coach. Then, the guests will perform on an “Idol”-like set in front of a live audience and three judges. No, not Randy Jackson, Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell. Instead, Rasulo says it’s likely three audience members will be selected to evaluate the performers while a live host will keep the show moving.

Top audience vote-getters will compete in a grand finale show at the end of each day. Overall daily champs will win a special front-of-the-line pass at a regional audition for the actual “American Idol” show. Hindle says Disney winners won’t be given any special treatment during the real audition, just the ability to skip ahead.

wannabeBelle

Any news on if this is going to have the cap on any contestants to perform within the parks?? I know Idol has an age cut of that if you are over a certain age you are ineligibile to compete, would that still hold true for the park version? Belle

KevinPage

Anything to keep the annoying people who like IDOL away from ToT, RnRC any other useful part of the park. Pack them indoors and run that show all day.

Hooray :ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom