Identifying concept art/map in R2-D2 May 4th Video?

zachrupertdsn

Original Poster
D23 recently posted this fun little video for Star Wars day:

https://d23.com/r2d2-delivers-special-message-d23-offices/

I noticed around the 1:13 mark that behind Darth Vader there was some concept art / park map art hanging on the wall. In case you missed it:

r2.jpg

Does anyone recognize this art, or is someone trying to be clever and drop hints?

zachrupertdsn

Original Poster
Looking around online, it looks (to me) like what I'm seeing referenced as the 1971 Magic Kingdom map for WDW
magic-kingdom-1971-map-LARGE.jpg

That seems to be it! I actually have this map at home and thought it looked familiar. Wonder why they seem to have chopped the map apart?

CDavid

Gee, you guys have better eyesight than i do! For all I can tell, that could be a map of Fort Wilderness or Future World... :confused:

Bairstow

Man, pre-Thunder, pre-Pirates, pre-Space Mountain Magic Kingdom seems really sparse now.

At least the theming would have been super-consistent. Adventureland would have been all-Polynesian and Fronteirland would have been all-1800s Missouri.

Hope the kids back then liked boat rides.

RandySavage

Man, pre-Thunder, pre-Pirates, pre-Space Mountain Magic Kingdom seems really sparse now.
Makes one appreciate how much was at Paris (or will be at Shanghai) when it opened.

At least the theming would have been super-consistent. Adventureland would have been all-Polynesian and Fronteirland would have been all-1800s Missouri.

Adventureland at MK has always been an amalgam of themes and geographies (versus strictly Polynesian). The Traders of Timbuktu retail area being one example. Same goes for Frontierland. E.g. the Country Bears area represented the Mountain West, versus TSI's Missouri/Mississippi.

DManRightHere

I don't see anything off compared to the other art.

The only thing new I found is theres a new star wars animated series coming this fall. Thats on the computers they showed twice in the video.

TP2000

Does anyone recognize this art, or is someone trying to be clever and drop hints?

I'm afraid this is just one shot of a random poster on a wall, in an office full of old Disney movie and theme park posters. I'm very confident no one is trying to send us any messages there.

If anything, this was a rather unfunny and pointless video.

All this video did was serve to remind me that D23 actually still exists in some minor format somewhere (what do they do again, aside from D23 Expo every two years?). This video also showed that there is apparently no dress code for office workers in Burbank and they don't care to look professional at all, even for canned publicity videos. They won't, or can't, even tuck in their shirts.

I love me some R2D2, but someone has too much time and money on their hands in Burbank. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TP2000

I believe Star Wars could fit into each park if done with the correct enviroment and theme.

A Star Wars E Ticket attraction and associated shops and character entertainment have existed quite handsomely in Disneyland's Tomorrowland since 1986, in Tokyo's Tomorrowland since 1989, and in the Paris Tomorrowland since that park opened in 1992.

Disney only bucked that Tomorrowland trend in Florida, where the Star Wars E Ticket was added to DHS and set up as a "fake" movie studio environment in 1989.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom