Ideas for Trip with Mom

MotherofaPrincessLover

I'm planning a trip for my mom, me, DD (will be 9 at the time), and DS (will be 3 at the time for next August. I'm trying to find some special experiences to add in to the trip. We just lost my grandma (mom's mom) a couple weeks ago and it is very hard on my mom. On top of that, she has become my grandpa's caregiver and is moving in with him to help him out. We had this trip planned before my grandma passed away and after it happened my mom told me she wants the trip to be fun and not me trying to save money. My mom hasn't been to Disney since she took me on my first trip in 1996. Does anyone have any ideas for fun experiences or something extra I can add to the trip? The kids will be with us the entire time so it can't be adults only things.

righttrack

Since 1996, focus on what has changed since then that is really better. I think you pick a wow resort to stay in like Animal Kingdom Lodge or Wilderness Lodge. She will appreciate the beauty of those. Food has become better since 1996, so some nice meals would be important. For an add on, I would suggest the Keys to the Kingdom Tour for her. It's a half day and filled with lots of interesting information and yes, you can't take the kids, but that's ok, you have fun with the kids at MK while she goes on her tour. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/magic-kingdom/keys-to-the-kingdom-tour/

Plan a nice sit-down meal after the Keys tour for a debrief and relaxation. Maybe O'hana?

Upvote 0

MotherofaPrincessLover

Original Poster
Since 1996, focus on what has changed since then that is really better. I think you pick a wow resort to stay in like Animal Kingdom Lodge or Wilderness Lodge. She will appreciate the beauty of those. Food has become better since 1996, so some nice meals would be important. For an add on, I would suggest the Keys to the Kingdom Tour for her. It's a half day and filled with lots of interesting information and yes, you can't take the kids, but that's ok, you have fun with the kids at MK while she goes on her tour. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/magic-kingdom/keys-to-the-kingdom-tour/

Plan a nice sit-down meal after the Keys tour for a debrief and relaxation. Maybe O'hana?
I'm DVC so I'm planning a split stay (of course it's all based on availability) with AKL savanna view and Boardwalk. I have quite a few character meals and a couple of fun meals planned because I know my mom will get joy out of seeing my kids with the characters. As far as KTTK, my mom won't want to go off on a tour by herself since she'll want to be with the rest of us. Thank you for your suggestion. Someday in the future, I'd like to take my mom back just me and her to experience Disney at Christmas. Maybe then we'll do that tour (I'm planning on doing the tour in September with my husband).

Upvote 0

DisneyDids

I'm planning a trip for my mom, me, DD (will be 9 at the time), and DS (will be 3 at the time for next August. I'm trying to find some special experiences to add in to the trip. We just lost my grandma (mom's mom) a couple weeks ago and it is very hard on my mom. On top of that, she has become my grandpa's caregiver and is moving in with him to help him out. We had this trip planned before my grandma passed away and after it happened my mom told me she wants the trip to be fun and not me trying to save money. My mom hasn't been to Disney since she took me on my first trip in 1996. Does anyone have any ideas for fun experiences or something extra I can add to the trip? The kids will be with us the entire time so it can't be adults only things.
What about afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/grand-floridian-resort-and-spa/afternoon-tea/?
We chose it as my mum’s 70th birthday treat and she loved it. Little ones are welcome too and have their own ‘Mrs Potts’ tea’.

Upvote 0

MotherofaPrincessLover

Original Poster
Upvote 0

Minnie Mum

Your Mom wants this to be FUN, and I totally get having a young boy in the group (we took DGS on his first WDW trip last year). How about doing the Hoop dee Doo Revue one night? Dinner and a show that's a blast no matter what your age.

Upvote 0

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Your Mom wants this to be FUN, and I totally get having a young boy in the group (we took DGS on his first WDW trip last year). How about doing the Hoop dee Doo Revue one night? Dinner and a show that's a blast no matter what your age.

I too was going to suggest HDD.

Another idea: make her a photo book after your trip.

Upvote 0

RememberWhen

Do they still do a pirate fireworks cruise? That always looked fun to me. Or you could get all of you pirate/mermaid makeovers. That would be fun. Does she like being a bit silly?

Upvote 0

kimberlymautz

I was also going to suggest Hoop dee Doo Revue! Or Mickey's Backyard BBQ. Both look super cute and I'm sure theyd be a lot of fun.

I also haven't heard anything about pirate cruises recently, but that could be a fun add on! Or a dessert party for one of the fireworks shows?

Also, there are several kids clubs on property if you wanted to let the kids play for a few hours while you and your mom went to the spa or a special lunch or something just the two of you. A friend of mine went with her kiddos (8, 5, and 3) and said they were all sad it was time to leave because they had so much fun.

Upvote 0

RememberWhen

I was also going to suggest Hoop dee Doo Revue! Or Mickey's Backyard BBQ. Both look super cute and I'm sure theyd be a lot of fun.

I also haven't heard anything about pirate cruises recently, but that could be a fun add on! Or a dessert party for one of the fireworks shows?

Also, there are several kids clubs on property if you wanted to let the kids play for a few hours while you and your mom went to the spa or a special lunch or something just the two of you. A friend of mine went with her kiddos (8, 5, and 3) and said they were all sad it was time to leave because they had so much fun.
Actually, I’m pretty sure the kids clubs all closed. But there is a drop-off kid activity at the contemporary, I think.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom