Ideas for Landing Day?

SpecialAgentK

My family (husband and 12-mo son, and my parents) will be arriving in Orlando airport around noonish on Saturday September 28th. This will be my husband's and son's first Disney World trip, and the first one I've ever planned--last real visit was 1997! I didn't purchase any park tickets for us for that day since I think we'll be busy with check in and catching up (we're flying from different locations) and we'd only get a few hours in whatever park. But I do want to do something that evening. What are some things we could do to ease into the Disney vacation after arriving on property? (Especially if our rooms aren't quite ready yet!)

I've thought about doing some shopping/eating at Downtown Disney and maybe spending a little time at the pool, weather permitting. We're staying at the Coronado Springs Resort.

Any thoughts on the T-REX Cafe? Would it be too overwhelming for a 12-month old?

journ116

My family (husband and 12-mo son, and my parents) will be arriving in Orlando airport around noonish on Saturday September 28th. This will be my husband's and son's first Disney World trip, and the first one I've ever planned--last real visit was 1997! I didn't purchase any park tickets for us for that day since I think we'll be busy with check in and catching up (we're flying from different locations) and we'd only get a few hours in whatever park. But I do want to do something that evening. What are some things we could do to ease into the Disney vacation after arriving on property? (Especially if our rooms aren't quite ready yet!)

I've thought about doing some shopping/eating at Downtown Disney and maybe spending a little time at the pool, weather permitting. We're staying at the Coronado Springs Resort.

Any thoughts on the T-REX Cafe? Would it be too overwhelming for a 12-month old?

I was going to suggest a meal somewhere, either at DTD or at a resort. I recently enjoyed the T-Rex restaurant and my family and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves! We ate in the Ice Age room, which we will never sit in again because of the lighting (felt like I was in an odd disco). Overall, good food and great service!

Not sure how your family fares after a day of traveling, but our family of 4 (me, DH, DD7, & DD3), typically retire to our room on "arrival day" by 4-5 p.m.. I will then take an hour to unpack and get organized, while my girls and DH unwind in the room...we usually don't leave the room unless it's to grab a quick-service meal from our resort.

An idea to ease your family into the Disney atmosphere (besides visiting DTD), pick a resort that you and your DH really would like to see. If that resort has a sit-down restaurant, make a reservation there for an early dinner. A really nice resort to explore (even if you're not staying there): Animal Kingdom Lodge. Schedule a meal at Boma (a fail safe buffet), then wander out to the savanna overlook, pick out a couple of rocking chairs, let the little one toddle, and watch the animals FOR FREE!

Enjoy your vacation!!

Upvote 0

zurgandfriend

How about a character meal, Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary or 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian. You get to jump into "full Disney mode" with characters and the monorail. You can visit the resorts and get ready for the next day.

Upvote 0

AngryEyes

I like the "dinner and pool at your resort" option on arrival day. If you're like us, it's the only day you really get to explore and enjoy your resort.

Upvote 0

donaldtoo

We always fly in about mid-day and never go to the Parks that first half-day. When the kiddos were younger (we first took them in '01 when they were 6, 8 & 9) we would always go to DTD for a bit (via boat from POR the two times we stayed there, or bus from other resorts we've stayed at), then back to the resort for some pool time and a cs/qs at the food court, then try to get to bed relatively early to be ready for the Parks the next morning.
Now that the kiddos are older (18, 20 & 21) it's still pretty much the same routine, but on the last 2 trips (in July of last year and just a coupla' weeks ago) we've had ADR's at T-Rex, tend to stay out a little later, and skip the pool.
DTD, on that first half-day, always works to get us Magically wound up for our upcoming Disney adventure!

Have a Magical trip...!!! :)

Upvote 0

HollyAD

My 2 year old was terrified of T. rex. It was a really fun atmosphere but a little much for him. Anyways...on our landing day we are heading to the pool for a little bit then off to dtd for a little shopping and dinner. Possibly a fireworks voyage? Or maybe just a movie on the beach at the wilderness lodge. They are free and sounds like something fun to do that I haven't done before.

Upvote 0

PrincessNelly_NJ

Love CSR! If I were you. Id take some time to explore CSR, then relax with your little one by the pool. Or grab something to eat at the resort (Maya Grill got a new menu recently!) Then spend the evening in DTD!

Upvote 0

WLBound

We'll be arriving around noon so like you we are not planning a day in the parks. I think we're going to try to get a game of mini golf in at Fantasia Gardens and then we have a dinner reservation for Yachtsmen Steakhouse. Nothing too strenuous after a long trip south down I-95.

Upvote 0

jenluvswdw

I agree with the above posts. Just relax and get organized explore your resort. If you are up to it you can get a bite to eat at DTD. Finish off the night with a nice dessert at Ghirardelli at DTD. If you are thinking about a Character Meal, think quick and make the ADRs. Highly recommend Chef Mickey. You will get the cutest pictures of you toddler with the characters. Have fun!

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

We run over to DTD, check out the stores, kiosks, take in some entertainment, eat at Earl of Sandwich or Rainforest. Head back to the resort to check out the now available room, unpack, pool time, rest up from the hectic early flight and prepare for the next weeks non stop, all out, morning to night fun.

Upvote 0

TheMouseFan

I also recommend Chef Mickey's for the first night. Especially since it will be a first trip for the two of them. It's a good way to gauge how your son will react to the characters without having to wait in a long line. The food is nothing spectacular, but the experience is awesome! Have a great trip!!

Upvote 0

MissingDisney

I also recommend Chef Mickey's for the first night. Especially since it will be a first trip for the two of them. It's a good way to gauge how your son will react to the characters without having to wait in a long line. The food is nothing spectacular, but the experience is awesome! Have a great trip!!

Just a side note to this as a mom...a 12 m/o gets tired, overwhelmed, cranky when there's too much going on, as I'm sure you've learned. I HIGHLY recommend a character meal that's really important to you picture and experience wise at the very beginning of the trip before the crankies set in. Your experience may be much better for everyone than if you waited until the end. And what better way for you all to start than a place like Chef Mickey's! Plus there's awesome photo opps behind the Contemporary. Enjoy!

Upvote 0

foreverbelle

We usually plan our arrival day to be a chill day, hit up the pool, have no plans for dinner-we end up just doing a quick service somewhere. When my son who is now 4 1/2 was that age we brought him and on the first day he was to exhausted to enjoy the parks-which we took him in right away.-turned out to be an exhausting day all around.

My suggestion is to let your little man decide....go by his schedule and enjoy the time, there will be enough magic throughout the trip to savor. Rest, relax and explore the resort...

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom