Ideas for a Disney Parks Cinematic Universe

Max of the Parks

Original Poster
Alright, so this is just a fun topic I thought of the other day. I'm a young filmmaker and enjoy writing scripts for short films and other small projects and I've always wondered about the endless possibilities if Disney ever decided to make a new film franchise based on their Disney Parks rides.
Okay, so here are the rules. Let's say they ignore previous attempts (Murphy's HM, Tomorrowland, etc) and don't bring the Pirates into the mix until at least 5 years after the franchise starts (a good time for a reboot with a new cast). I was thinking somehow they could create new characters (maybe from the Adventurer's Club) or even use a young Dreamfinder as lead who discovers secret realms within the parks that transports them within the attractions.
Really I believe this could be epic, especially if they went the Kingdom Keepers route and added Disney villains trying to take over the parks as an overarching story arch. What do you guys think? We can finally get that (legit) Del Toro Haunted Mansion Movie, Jungle Cruise, a Magic Kingdom film, and more. What are your ideas for a parks film franchise?

Max of the Parks

Original Poster
The more I think about it, write your ideas down below and maybe I'll even write and compose my own "fan made" Parks Universe with them just as something fun to do! The possibilities are endless lol

CardinalsJLG

Color me intrigued! Last I heard, there was a Jungle Cruise movie with The Rock in the works already...BUT I think it would be interesting to visit attractions like Space Mountain and Big Thunder. Would this potential cinematic universe be limited to Magic Kingdom or expand to the other three parks?

FigmentJedi

Really I believe this could be epic, especially if they went the Kingdom Keepers route and added Disney villains trying to take over the parks as an overarching story arch.
God no. Kingdom Keepers is terrible Disney Channel Original Movie junk that deems park characters as not being "real" Disney characters, but disposable robot minions for the cartoon villains.

Best route to go would be using the DIsney Kingdoms comics as a point of inspiration and SEA/Discovery Bay as a linking mechanism.

Jedi Stitch

I like your Idea. I think for start that could be used, could be the Jungle Cruise. Use a Young boy who family had taken them on a Safari in the '30's era, have him see and experience many of the sites show cased on the cruse. He keeps a field journal with artistic rendering, and have him become one of the imagineers at the end of the movie show casing thoughts to Walt for a ride in the park.

AceAstro

Best route to go would be using the DIsney Kingdoms comics as a point of inspiration and SEA/Discovery Bay as a linking mechanism.
This is what I was thinking too. There’s already such a rich backstory made there that by it’s just make sense to make movies off of it. It already contains quite a lot of attractions already with more bing added.

Twilight_Roxas

God no. Kingdom Keepers is terrible Disney Channel Original Movie junk that deems park characters as not being "real" Disney characters, but disposable robot minions for the cartoon villains.

Kingdom Keepers is a book series.

mharrington

I'm envisioning involving Mickey and the gang in this. Or perhaps it could be a movie version of "Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom". Or if not a movie, then a video game series like Kingdom Hearts or Epic Mickey.

kmbmw777

Given that it seems like we want to do rides based off of the parks attractions and introduce mostly original characters, I am against using Classic Disney characters - at least at the start. My completely Blue Sky version would start like this.

Tomorrowland - Cinematic Re-release (with some changes) which gives a vague explanation of these two integrated world.
Dreamfinder - movie set in a different world.
Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl - new deluxe edition re-released.
Jungle Cruise - movie set in a different world.
Big Thunder Mountain -another movie set in a different world.
Magic Kingdom - culmination with the main character from tommorowland discovering more about the worlds hidden in the tides.

Disney Dad 3000

We had a few ideas over the summer along these lines during The Great Movie Ride competition and had contestants come up with solo films one week based on Disney attractions/locales of their choosing. Some pretty good ones in there. When I get a chance today I'll find that week and link it here for reference. May give you some good ideas to get started.

Disney Dad 3000

For Trailer Tuesday, Marvel Studios Presents:​

Bt7d0woUwHjLhdo6VBuXThrVrXbwLa0Y2E0NR54gvMLb05vVHB4M8ek3MLTsfLtFN4WWWi0WsiLGe3OEYYyhUDABmkXB6iY5Zy4haDt0QeCjNR-iI3RZ8APWASPwFq8w2Z-OvSUk

Journey Into Imagination

The story follows Dreamfinder as he is working tirelessly to create the one and only Dreamcatcher. Everyone ridicules him for this “ridiculous” idea saying that you can’t catch dreams. The climax of the movie is Dreamfinder getting the Dreamcatcher working and creating Figment, being seen as a national genius for this new and incredible invention.​

Marvel Studios presents -- in association with the Society of Explorers and Adventurers Cinematic Universe (the SEA "C" U)

Big Thunder Mountain

Based on the mining adventures of Barnabas T. Bullion and Abigail Bullion, enter the town of Tumbleweed where perilous adventure, mysterious curses, and the intro to the expanded SEA Universe begins. Follow the main protagonist Abigail Bullion as she discovers that her father's mining operation is cursed, and the harrowing frontier adventure featuring cowboys, bandits, and torrential floods sends you along for the extravagant adventure. At the end of the film in a post-credit scene, Nick Fury I mean Jason Chandler approaches Barnabas T. Bullion, along with an image of other explorers stating, "I'm here to talk with you about the SEA Initiative" - launching a series of interconnected films including Mystic Manor, Hightower Hotel, culminating in a team up Society of Explorers and Adventurers film to round out Phase 1 of the film universe.

Pixar Studios Presents

View attachment 216315
BEASTLY KINGDOM
Walt Disney Studios invites you to an enchanted fantasy realm, Beastly Kingdom, a hidden nature preserve where sorcerers study and protect legendary creatures such as dragons, unicorns, banshees and sprites, all untamed myths forgotten by the Enlightenment world. But unexpected dark forces release the monsters from their magical enclosures, like a fantastical Jurassic Park, and only a ragtag crew of adventurers can save the Kingdom. Looking to do for sword & sorcery what Pirates of the Caribbean did for swashbucklers, visionary Guillermo del Toro directs an all-star cast including Idris Elba, Kate Winslet, Ron Perlman, up-and-comer Maika Monroe, and master creature performer Doug Jones.

Grizzly Peak
GrizzlypeakLeft_fxwb.jpg

This new masterpiece features professional hanglider Chuckie Soalight (who has literally soared around the world) crashing in the mysterious mountain peak. As Chuckie struggles to survive each night he meets the gold miner who was cursed by the spirits of the mountain - the wolf, the bear, and the owl. The duo have to learn to appreciate nature for more than a way to fame or money - but as beauty.

Pixar Studios proudly presents...

O1iYC7K.jpg

Sinbad
Based on the Tokyo Disney Sea attraction, Sinbad's Storybook Voyage, this animated film features a grand quest as Sinbad and his pet tiger cub Chandu sets sail to find the greatest adventure. Sinbad adventures with mermaids, fights off the vicious birds of Rukh Island to discover a grand treasure, fights a band of evil pirates, rescues a princess, discovers a kingdom overtaken by monkeys, and even sets sail on a giant whale. Featuring music by Oscar winning composer Alan Menken and lyricist Glenn Slater, including the now famous Compass of Your Heart, this new beautiful animated feature film by Disney Feature Animation is sure to become a fast favorite for all to enjoy.

For Marvel Studios here's my trailer submission!:happy:

Kilimanjaro Safari

Go deep into the African Savannah and follow two explorers as they look for Little Red the elephant. After some encounters with the beauty of the animals, they realize that they shouldn't be hunting the animals for captivity. The film concludes with the two main characters stopping a group of pouches from taking Little Red.

Can't get the linking working on my phone right now, but here's a sampling of the elevator pitches done that week for attraction flicks.

FigmentJedi

Given that it seems like we want to do rides based off of the parks attractions and introduce mostly original characters, I am against using Classic Disney characters - at least at the start. My completely Blue Sky version would start like this.

Tomorrowland - Cinematic Re-release (with some changes) which gives a vague explanation of these two integrated world.
Dreamfinder - movie set in a different world.
Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl - new deluxe edition re-released.
Jungle Cruise - movie set in a different world.
Big Thunder Mountain -another movie set in a different world.
Magic Kingdom - culmination with the main character from tommorowland discovering more about the worlds hidden in the tides.
Tomorrowland's better off staying as its own original Sci-Fi world, what with it being more about Walt Disney's futurism ideals then telling a story based around park stuff. And I've never really liked the Magic Kingdom movie idea.

As far as a kickoff goes, I'd say a Pirates spinoff/Final Film for Real This Time set in New Orleans threading that "Return of Davy Jones's ghost" sequel hook into something incorporating the Museum of the Weird (headed by a living Madame Leota) and the old "Haunted Mansion was owned by a pirate" treatments.

The Haunted Mansion and its associated sister locations as seen in Del Toro's concept and the Kingdoms book could proceed from there as an anthology franchise of different ghost stories that would occasionally link up to stuff in other projects. The Discovery Bay/SEA stuff could be introduced in Big Thunder Mountain with Jason Chandler and the adventures of his generation of SEA would be the closest thing to Avengers in this universe and stories featuring some of the film characters assimilated into SEA's lore could be your big event films (i.e. Jason Chandler hiring Ned Land to find the Nautilus per the original Discovery Bay miniseries pilot, Mystic Manor film featuring Young Indiana Jones or something with the Atlantis crew). Focus on cool standalone stories rather then heavy serialization.

kmbmw777

Pirates spinoff
Depending on the lore that you are establishing for the universe, I would suggest keeping the original, and possibly the latter ones as (at least for the first one) they are all good/great! That's why I suggested rereleasing them.

However, before any cohesive plan is made, the question must be asked - how do all of these properties so different connect? What is the lore that unites them. If we don't want to have them be tied to the parks in any way, I suggest having them being worlds of imagination being investigated by the Dreamfinder.

The only reason we need to make them have some sort of overlying lore is because the movie's need to interact with one another in order to be a cinematic universe, yet they also need to each stand alone as individual movies. "Great alone, better together" or something. The best way to do this besides for cameos (like Tony Stark appearing at the end of the Incredible Hulk) is to have the team-up movie.

Max of the Parks

Original Poster
Honestly, I think original characters to lead the franchise would be great. I think it should be open to attractions from all the parks; Disneyland included. Even if they weren't all directly linked, I'd love to have it all under one franchise with the same continuity. If somehow Dreamfinder and Figment were thrown into the mix, they could maybe be the lead characters.

mickeyfan5534

During the original Twist in Time comp I came up with the idea of a SEA Cinematic Universe. As far as I remember, it went something like this, with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight
Phase 1
Journey into Imagination Movie
Big Thunder Mountain Movie
Mary Oceaneer Movie
Harrison Hightower Movie
Pirates of the Caribbean reboot
SEA Team Up
Phase 2
Harrison Hightower 2
Journey into Imagination 2
Big Thunder 2/Western River Expedition Film
Mary Oceaneer 2
Mystic Manor Film
SEA Team Up 2
Harrison Hightower 3
Phase 3
Journey into Imagination 3
Mystic Manor 2: Haunted Mansion film
Pirates 2
Big Thunder 3
SEA Team Up 3 (would end with everyone except Dreamfinder trapped by Hightower and Dreamfinder and Figment having to recruit members to free them)
Jungle Cruise film
Expedition Everest film
Roaring Rapids film
Buena Vista Street-set film
SEA Team Up 4 (the four new members rescue the trapped 4 members with Dreamfinder and Figment)
Tower of Terror (Hightower's final adventure)

Last edited:

TwilightZone

My ideas:
1. jungle cruise
a group of adventurers find a new location on earth and take a boat cruise to discover the wildlife, people, and artifacts
2. leaving off from jungle cruise, one of the ancient artifacts found in the cruise ends up contacting aliens, the aliens then share their inventions with the people of earth, but trouble looms when the alien company xs tech begins rushing their products
3. dreamfinder
after the alien attack caused by xs-tech's teleporter disaster, dreamfinder sets out to redo the land by creating a flying machine that can create ideas into reality. but first, he must visit the imagination institute, where he meets nigel channing and his imagination scanner, once dreamfinder goes in there, the world becomes from a bleak one to a colorful one and figment is born.
5. expedition everest
the explorer group from jungle cruise re-organizes to explore other parts of the world, but when multiple members start disappearing during trips to everest, an investigation is done by the remaining members. will they survive the mysterious force that is causing the disappearances?
6. thunder mesa
ever since finding the new land in jungle cruise, the land has since developed into a wild west town known as thunder mesa. however when a curse is placed on to it by one of the natives gods, the person who upset the god must now find a way to please her before it is too late
7. discoveryland
the grande finale, dreamfinder realizes that his dreamcatcher has become too powerful for its own good, so he and the cursed man sets on a quest to find 8 different artifacts from the 8 different lands to stop his machine. once he does, the world will revert to a steampunk state known as discoveryland and all of the misfortune caused by the machine will be gone, but the doubtfinder looms trying to stop the progress.

2351metalcloud

There was a group of characters in Marvel comics came out with a few years ago that was somewhat similar in time period and style to the characters of the Adventurer's Club, but I can't quite remember the name of the group. I think they only appeared in a very small number of comics.

So theoretically you could have something kind of like the Adventurer's Club exist in the MCU while having some precedent in the comics and have movies/shows be made about them and have them be considered part of the MCU. I'm not sure how much fans of the Adventurer's Club would like them however as they might be too dissimilar to the Adventurer's Club in their opinion.

However, I guess if they wanted, they could really just make up some group like the Adventurer's Club or a group actually called the Adventurer's Club and be very similar to it. Then put it in the MCU without any precedence in Marvel Comics. I'm not sure how popular movies and/or shows about the characters in the group might be if they are made very similar to the Adventurer's Club in the parks however. I guess if they were to make such a thing in the MCU, they would have to deal with how similar to make the characters in a movie version of the club be compared to the versions of the characters in the themeparks while also taking into consideration what to do with the characters in movies and/or shows to make the movies and/or shows financially successful and popular among lots of viewers in general.

They would also have to do deal with having them fit into the MCU without conflicting with what they want to do with other characters that they might want to have appear in the MCU or have already appeared in the MCU. For example, if you had someone in the Adventurer's Club fight someone who wanted to do some evil things, other characters in the MCU at the same time as this who could maybe theoretically help the member might have to be taken into consideration. People might prefer to know of some reasonable explanation why some character didn't help some other character with some problem soon after a movie and/or show is released where such a concern occurs to viewers. Or maybe they could even find out some such explanation within the same movie or show where such a concern arises. It seems like some of the people in the Adventurer's Club wouldn't be the type to try to fight people much, but the people making a big budget movie may prefer if there were at least some characters that were doing something like that to make a movie more exciting.

Also, Disney might have to take into consideration what they plan on doing with future Indiana Jones and Delilah Dirk movies and shows as they seem to be pretty similar to some of the Adventurer's Club members.

The Disney Concert Hall is actually mentioned in 2008's Iron Man. It isn't much of a stretch of the imagination to think that Disney theme parks and the movie studios might also exist in the MCU. I guess that might go along with some of the thinking I've seen people mention that creators of Marvel attractions might be using. It seems like the logic for that when it comes to attractions could get a bit complicated however.

Theoretically, they could have a cinematic universe consisting of movies that have to do with Disney's theme park attractions (possibly including the Adventurer's Club) being played in movie theaters inside the MCU if they wanted. The movies as they could appear in the MCU movies could be such that real world audiences are supposed to think that the movies in the MCU are the same movies (that are related to theme park attractions) that could be released in our real world. I wrote about a similar idea in regards to Zootopia in another thread. I'm not sure if Marvel would ever want to mention anything like that however in a movie, although they almost had Wonder Man or a role portrayed by Wonder Man/Simon Williams shown in GotG2 in some capacity even if it was just for a clip to play during the credits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Man
Nathan Fillion was set to appear as Simon Williams on movie posters, including a fictional biopic of Tony Stark, in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. Fillion released a picture from the film's set where the character as an actor is portraying Arkon.[69] Gunn stated that his scenes were cut from the movie.[70] Gunn acknowledged the character could return in future installments of the franchise.

We can finally get that (legit) Del Toro Haunted Mansion Movie, Jungle Cruise, a Magic Kingdom film, and more. What are your ideas for a parks film franchise?

I'm not sure if you are aware, but there have been some plans to make a movie that has to do with the Magic Kingdom:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magic_Kingdom
In 2012, Jon Favreau announced he was planning a film called Magic Kingdom.[37] The film is described as “Night at the Museum at Disneyland,” meaning that the film would tell a story where all the characters at Disney come to life at night.[37] Marc Abraham and Eric Newman of Strike Entertainment were scheduled to produce the film.[38] Writer-producer Ronald D. Moore had previously written an original script for the project, which the studio eventually declined to use, stating that Favreau and a new screenwriter would develop a new script.[38] As of 2014, Favreau was directing the 2016 adaptation of The Jungle Book, but still expressed interest in pursuing the project.

(Edit-I think the name of that group from Marvel comics I mentioned that had some similarities to the Adventurer's Club is called the Confederates of the Curious.

In the movie Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Captain America shows a list he has written that has some things in our real world that actually exist including the phrases 'I Love Lucy', 'Star Trek', and 'Star Wars'.
Picture: blob.jpg
The latter being the name of a movie and the name of a movie series which is now under ownership of a subsidiary of Disney and the inspiration for areas of theme parks that Disney is building.

Additionally, in the tv show Agent Carter, the character Howard Stark creates a movie studio. One movie they are said to create is about the character 'Kid Colt'. In the tv show apparently it is said that the events of the 'Kid Colt' movie are inspired by a comic book and that the comic books is based upon real events. In our real world 'Kid Colt' is the name of a character that appeared in Marvel comic books. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kid_Colt) The character in our real world comic books and the character in the movie referred to in the Agent Carter tv show seem to have similarities.

An idea that occurred to me that I found interesting was that someone in the MCU could use 'magic' to make characters from movies, books, tv shows, comic books, video games, theme park attractions and other things to come to life and be like real people relative to the MCU. For example, someone could use 'magic' to make Star Wars characters change from being just movie characters in the MCU, (if that is all they are supposed to be in the MCU currently), to being physical and 'real' people in the MCU just like how Captain America and Hawkeye are 'real' people in the MCU. This could be like past movies like Inkheart, The Pagemaster or even Night at the Museum.

There could also be in the future MCU characters that are currently considered 'real' in the MCU like Captain America and Hawkeye getting transported into the worlds of movies, books, tv shows, comic books, video games, and other things through the use of 'magic'. This could be similar to past movies and tv shows such as the new Jumanji movie. I don't know if anything like this has ever occurred previously in Marvel comics, but even if it hasn't it could still be done in future MCU movies and tv shows anyways. Either or both of these ideas are ways characters from the Adventurer's Club or characters similar to characters from the Adventurer's Club could be seen in real world MCU movies, tv shows, theme park attractions, video games, books, and other things in our real world.)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom