Ideal/"dream" versions of existing Disney attractions

Okee68

Original Poster
A few more ideas:

* The Witch could be holding the comb from early versions of the film and the original fairytale. Maybe the bodice and red-hot shoes as well.
* The giant lunar energy Wolf from this early concept art could put in an appearance.

View attachment 527692
* The Glooms from the 7D could have a cameo somewhere, even as skeletons in the dungeon. Maybe also Luna from the 1969 musical.
* I could see the crocodile logs, evil trees, etc, making terrifying sounds as well.
* The witch’s skeleton could be shown when she’s shocked as an ironic parallel to the skeletons throughout the ride.
The wolf might be a nice touch if reduced to a regular size, but some of those ideas simply don't make any sense within the context of Disney's Snow White. The wolf in particular, though, reminds me of my own, currently unpublished concept for an ideal Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, which features the gaoler's daughter in the prison scene as one of the only female characters in the attraction. Her inclusion is a fun nod for anyone familiar with the original Kenneth Grahame novel, but not confusing or illogical for anyone who isn't.

The Witch's skeleton is a clever idea, but I don't know how I would feel about it replacing the instantly recognizable silhouette of the peddler's disguise. If I were to include the skeleton silhouette, I would probably only have it occupy one of the several bright flashes, probably the last of them.

Miru

The wolf might be a nice touch if reduced to a regular size, but some of those ideas simply don't make any sense within the context of Disney's Snow White. The wolf in particular, though, reminds me of my own, currently unpublished concept for an ideal Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, which features the gaoler's daughter in the prison scene as one of the only female characters in the attraction. Her inclusion is a fun nod for anyone familiar with the original Kenneth Grahame novel, but not confusing or illogical for anyone who isn't.

The Witch's skeleton is a clever idea, but I don't know how I would feel about it replacing the instantly recognizable silhouette of the peddler's disguise. If I were to include the skeleton silhouette, I would probably only have it occupy one of the several bright flashes, probably the last of them.
Yeah, the skeleton would be on only one flash, the last one. The energy wolf would be a projection that suddenly appears. I suppose that those details from the fairy tale would be hidden, simply as a nod for those with a keen eye. The comb would drip with poison, while the shoes would glow with heat.

Okee68

Original Poster
Random detail about my Witch ride that I've been meaning to bring up:
The characters will swap between plural and singular pronouns depending on how many people are in a given vehicle. If you happen to be riding alone, the Witch will say, "A special sort of death for our guest so fair," and the like, and Sneezy will say, "We've got a visitor, fellas." If you're riding with other people, the dialogue will contain plural pronouns as per usual. A very minor detail, but a slightly interesting thing nonetheless.

Okee68

Original Poster
I've also been considering the sound effects you would theoretically hear while riding Escape from the Wicked Witch. It's meant to be a very atmospheric attraction, so more ambient sounds would be employed within its interior scenes than in the other Fantasyland dark rides. There would be over fifty audio reels in total. Also, I feel the need to specify that none of the sound effects in the ride would sound overly "realistic" in an attempt to come off as dramatic or scary; everything would be done in an old-school Foley style in order to stay consistent with the ride's source material.

Loading queue:
>Music medley consisting of most of the eerie and "scary" pieces from the original film—namely the Magic Mirror's theme, an extended version of the Queen's theme, and the pieces used for Snow White's flight through the forest, the alchemy lab scenes, the Witch's trek to the cottage, and the Dwarfs' pursuit. These would not be one-to-one replicas of the original score, however, as many of the sudden stings and whatnot—things that are synced up with specific actions in the film—would need to be omitted or re-imagined.
>Occasional ambient sounds originating from invisible sources, such as creaking wood, banging doors or shutters, rattling chains, and blasts of howling wind
>Instructional spiel delivered by the Magic Mirror
>Creaking wooden doors into the Mirror Chamber (There would actually be a ton of different alternating creaks used for this one set of doors, as it might get annoying to hear one specific sound over and over again for anyone waiting in line.)

Mirror Chamber:
>Tense, eerie, suspenseful string identical to the one heard in Disneyland's dungeon scene; plays throughout the entire room
>Dialogue between Queen and Mirror
>Queen/Witch transformation dialogue
>Off-key, shriek-like sting as the Queen spins around as the Witch
>Creaking doors into the next scene

Queen's Dungeon:
>Formless, nightmarish orchestra of wailing ghouls + the sounds of banging doors and dragging chains with an unsettling "reverse reverb" effect applied; these constitute a single reel, which is heard throughout the whole scene.
>Several instances of tortured spirits moaning, "go back," with the reverse reverb effect; these make up a single reel which plays as the skeletons come into view.
>Muffled, echoing Witch cackles accompanying the animated shadow at the end of the scene
>Clamorous crash of rusted metal for the falling portcullis

Cauldron Lair:
>Minimalist rendition of the apple-brewing theme from the film (similar in style to the music used for Madame Leota's chamber in the Haunted Mansion) + a deep, thunderous rumbling sound underlying the music to add to the dreadful atmosphere
>Cawing raven
>Bubbling brew
>Witch dialogue + laughter
>Shelves and bottles collapsing
>Squeaking iron-lattice door leading outside

Castle Moat:
>Chirping crickets, croaking frogs, and flowing water
>Witch laughter
>Guttural croaking sounds for crocodile logs

Frightful Forest:
>Howling wind, ghastly wailing, and echoing, distorted Witch cackles heard throughout whole scene
>Scurrying bats
>Screeching owl
>Same crocodile log croaks as in the previous scene
>Warbling, fluttering creature sounds; something like a series of low-pitched theremin tones played at the frequency of bird chirps. These are heard as the glaring eyes in the darkness are approached.
>Harsh, shrieking sting as the Witch appears (much like in the Mirror Chamber) + Witch dialogue immediately afterward
>Creaking cottage door

Dwarfs' Cottage:
>Crackling hearth fire
>Chirping crickets and owl hoots emanating from beyond open window with animals
>Dwarfs' dialogue; each line is on a separate reel
>Minor wooden thunk sound for Dopey popping out of barrel
>Creaking back door leading outside

Dark Hollow:
>Rolling thunder and howling wind heard throughout scene
>More strange creature noises similar to those in the forest scene
>Witch dialogue

Diminishing Mine:
>Subtle, muffled wind and thunder heard throughout scene
>Off-key twinkling/glistening sound heard throughout scene
>Creaking timbers heard throughout scene
>Clamorous explosion-type sound for splitting overhead beam
>Another frightening sting as the Witch is revealed
>Witch dialogue + laughter
>Collapsing timbers; like a longer version of the sound for the splitting beam
>Crashing mine cart + distant Witch cackle

Stormy Climax:
>Heavy rain, howling wind, and rolling thunder
>Discordant string variation of the piece heard in the film just before the Witch meets her doom
>Dwarfs' dialogue (a single reel)
>Witch dialogue (laughter + "GOODBYE, DEARIES!" + more laughter)
>Loud, booming lightning strike + Witch death scream
>Muffled thunder, wind, and rain in black void between cliff and queue

Last edited:

Miru

Interesting lineup of sound effects there. Now I want a list of sound tracks for the Alice ride, too...

Last edited:

Okee68

Original Poster
The loading queue spiel for Escape From the Wicked Witch, as spoken by the Magic Mirror:

"Greetings, hopeless prisoners. To ensure the best of luck in your treacherous escape from the callous Queen... remain firmly seated, and keep your arms and legs inside the carriage at all times. Be wary of the dangers that lie ahead, and remember: The Queen has many tricks up her sleeve, and seeks the fairest in the land. She may very well be searching for you. Farewell."

Also, here's a rough mock-up of the loading queue music medley I made half a year ago: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ceE53yrUq_E66sTvVDfhkTguCZgymTDQ
I don't know why I never ended up posting this until now.

EmFromPlanetEarth

My ideal version of summit plummet: have it be slightly taller, maybe about 10 feet taller, and have it be a drop slide with those trap door drops. Also my ideal version of test track would be a blend between the two versions, it would have futuristic imagery and be a simulation like 2.0, but have that kind of warehouse asthetic from 1.0, and also the temperature rooms, as well as an extended outdoor portion. Or it could be a kind of mix between world of motion and test track, a ride through the history of transportation and then leading up to the car, it’s a thrilling ride where you launch out so the anticipation would build.

Miru

The loading queue spiel for Escape From the Wicked Witch, as spoken by the Magic Mirror:

"Greetings, hopeless prisoners. To ensure the best of luck in your treacherous escape from the callous Queen... remain firmly seated, and keep your arms and legs inside the carriage at all times. Be wary of the dangers that lie ahead, and remember: The Queen has many tricks up her sleeve, and seeks the fairest in the land. She may very well be searching for you. Farewell."

Also, here's a rough mock-up of the loading queue music medley I made half a year ago: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ceE53yrUq_E66sTvVDfhkTguCZgymTDQ
I don't know why I never ended up posting this until now.
Good work on that medley there! Snow White really does have one of the most modern and inspiring film scores of its era. I like that opening spiel as well. Now I wonder what the breakdown spiel will be?

Okee68

Original Poster
Good work on that medley there! Snow White really does have one of the most modern and inspiring film scores of its era. I like that opening spiel as well. Now I wonder what the breakdown spiel will be?
Realistically, I think the breakdown spiel would just be the same one used for every other attraction in the theoretical park. If I could have a custom one, however, I would have the Magic Mirror saying something along the lines of:

"Alas, something seems to have gone awry. Remain calmly seated with your arms and legs inside the carriage, but do not take this as some form of respite. I shall work my inexplicable magic to resume your journey, and your carriage will be propelled forward at any moment. For your own sake, stand clear of any carriage—your own or otherwise."

celluloid

Carousel of Progress where the concept is kept but has been updated at least once since the 1994 version. Drastically wild idea I know.

In the Parks
Yes
Given unlimited time and money with which to work, I'd design a hybrid thrill ride and video game attraction for Tomorrowland.

The experience begins in a brand new modern arcade building (which would be an actual functioning arcade), where in the back of the building, a themed elevator takes riders to the queue space on the second floor after an extremely brief (15 seconds - think Hydrolator) pre-preshow sequence where guests are "pulled into the video game world" by characters from Wreck-it Ralph, with an accompanying effect. The queue space on the second floor would include optional interactive elements in the style of retro minigames and/or a mobile phone tie-in.

Once guests make their way through the queue, they arrive at the actual preshow, where Princess Penelope lays out the attraction's main storyline. After the events of Wreck-it Ralph 2, Penelope has gotten bored again, and is looking to shake things up. She's decided to try her hand at running a race instead of just participating in them, and the only problem is she needs racers (i.e., the assembled guests.) Once this preshow is finished, guests are let into the boarding area where they will have an opportunity to choose from one of a few different profiles of racecar (i.e. different breakdowns of top speed/acceleration/handling) which will have a meaningful impact on their ride experience.

The ride itself consists of electric karts on a candy-themed racetrack, controlled by the racers (and also by the ride's central computer system, which will step in to prevent antisocial behaviors such as deliberate bumping) and throttled differently depending on the profile selected and potentially also by if and how well the guest played the optional minigames from the queue. Karts are loaded with single riders (or one adult plus their child) and dispatched in groups of four, with karts in each wave racing against each other. While navigating the racetrack, racers are responsible for controlling their vehicle's acceleration and for steering it (unless they misbehave or are simply sufficiently terrible drivers, in which case control is revoked and passed back to the central computer.) Additionally, halfway through the single-lap race, Penelope will decide to throw out the kart staple of an item box, which guests will have to decide when to open by pressing the corresponding button.

The race ends with Ralph waving a checkered flag and Penelope congratulating the winner while encouraging the other three racers to try again soon. Following unload, guests take another elevator which returns them to the same arcade they started in.

And this entire experience would be built atop the bones of Tomorrowland Speedway, which as part of the initial announcement of Sugar Rush Racers coming soon was ceremoniously "wrecked" by Ralph before being torn down to its foundations for a complete rebuild. (The slot cars would be offered to museums and collectors before any remaining inventory got scrapped.)

Okee68

Original Poster
The audio in this video from 1:48 to 2:12 provides a perfect example of the type of audio you would hear in Wicked Witch during the dark hollow and diminishing mine scenes, minus the Witch's voice.

Something about those creaking wood sounds (the same ones used for the 1971 mine scene) is just brilliant. I don't know exactly why, but combined with that off-key twinkling sound, the reel for the creaking timbers is incredibly effective in making the Dwarfs' mine into an unsettling, dangerous place.

Okee68

Original Poster
I've been making countless edits to my Wicked Witch description lately, to the point where it's considerably different from what it was a week ago. There was one grating issue I had with the ride concept previously, that being the lack of an explanation for the Queen venturing into the woods.

In addition to making the opening section of the post a lot more cohesive, I've also added dialogue between the Queen and the Magic Mirror to the beginning of the transformation scene which totally remedies this issue. The new dialogue reveals that the Queen is aware before the fact that riders will flee to the forest, making her decision to head into the woods a logical one. The dialogue also solidifies guests' role as escaped prisoners of the Queen, if the loading queue being a dungeon and the Magic Mirror's queue greeting weren't enough on their own.

Miru

I now wonder what sorts of costumes we’d give Cast Members operating the attraction, in order to make the dungeon atmosphere more convincing? These outfits would probably evoke the Huntsman, later concept art for the Queen’s unused minions, and/or the Glooms from the 7D. Speaking of the Huntsman, I feel like he’d be an appropriate supporting character for the ride alongside the Dwarves, helping the riders get outta the dungeon and through the woods.

J4546

I want a shanghai camp discovery style walkthrough/climbing obstacle course attraction but themed to alice in wonderland. I dont know how it would be done, but I want it done

Okee68

Original Poster
I now wonder what sorts of costumes we’d give Cast Members operating the attraction, in order to make the dungeon atmosphere more convincing? These outfits would probably evoke the Huntsman, later concept art for the Queen’s unused minions, and/or the Glooms from the 7D. Speaking of the Huntsman, I feel like he’d be an appropriate supporting character for the ride alongside the Dwarves, helping the riders get outta the dungeon and through the woods.
The cast member outfits are another thing I've been considering recently. I don't want anything that's too macabre and in-your-face spooky, although the huntsman's borderline-Robin Hood attire might be a little out of place. The huntsman isn't a bad starting point, however, and I think a tunic of sorts similar to his own, but with a hood and open cloak instead of a hat and cape, might work pretty well. The outfit would have to be a little less colorful than the huntsman's as well.

One of my earliest Wicked Witch concepts involved the Prince aiding riders in escaping from the dungeon, similar to your idea with the huntsman. I couldn't really find a way to make it work in a manner that made a lot of sense, however, and I also couldn't find a way to fit the Prince into another scene, so his appearance in the dungeon would have been sort of a weird non-sequitur with no closure.

Miru

Recently, the park fandom was set on fire by the revisions to the Jungle Cruise as part of a massive softening-up of the US parks overall, so I want to add my two cents into a take on the attraction. While the attraction indeed becomes less dated, it is done largely on a technical level; animatronics will be updated to 1990s standards if not further (though really advanced stuff from the much-lamented Marvel attractions isn’t needed for this kind of ride), as well as adding projections, water effects, and an interactive queue: along with story elements from foreign versions of the ride.

The queue experience, similar to past versions, features many details to evoke the setting and tone of the ride overall, yet not beating riders over the head with an overarching story, making the twists more of a surprise to riders. There’s a map of various rivers found in the world, with markings depicting routes on each of them. Some of these routes end prematurely, almost as if a voyage ended in disaster. One route seems to be broken up and going in odd directions, sometimes even going out of the river entirely. A chart can be seen mentioning plot points from the Jungle Cruise movie, as well as the Tokyo and Shanghai rides. Amanda Falls can still be heard over the intercom, sounding enthusiastic about the skippers and their ability to provide a great tour to riders. Soon, you will be loaded onto a boat and taken on your voyage.

The skipper starts you off, ready to showcase exciting jungle rivers the world over… and maybe something more too. While the early part of the ride is unchanged from pre-2021 but with revised, more lively animatronics, and a few more animals added to each scene, once we enter the temple, things get more exciting. Turns out, this temple is actually taking us back in time. Escaping a giant spider guardian, the temple seems to suck us inward with glowing lights and projections of clocks running backwards. That’s right; we went back millions of years, and that means one thing…

We’re now in the time of the dinosaurs; and now they are reconstructed accurately with feathers, yet still providing a final menace and curiosity to riders worthy of Adventureland. Dinos peek out of the corners, herbivores trying to defend themselves from the strange vehicle, while the carnivores just think of the riders as curiosities. The true climax of the ride is a battle between angry spirits, debating over whether or not we should have gone back in time. Then go through the backside of water, which takes you back to the present. And guess who’s back at the end? That’s right, Trader Sam.

Last edited:

Okee68

Original Poster
Recently, the park fandom was set on fire by the revisions to the Jungle Cruise as part of a massive softening-up of the US parks overall, so I want to add my two cents into a take on the attraction. While the attraction indeed becomes less dated, it is done largely on a technical level; animatronics will be updated to 1990s standards if not further (though really advanced stuff from the much-lamented Marvel attractions isn’t needed for this kind of ride), as well as adding projections, water effects, and an interactive queue: along with story elements from foreign versions of the ride.

The queue experience, similar to past versions, features many details to evoke the setting and tone of the ride overall, yet not beating riders over the head with an overarching story, making the twists more of a surprise to riders. There’s a map of various rivers found in the world, with markings depicting routes on each of them. Some of these routes end prematurely, almost as if a voyage ended in disaster. One route seems to be broken up and going in odd directions, sometimes even going out of the river entirely. A chart can be seen mentioning plot points from the Jungle Cruise movie, as well as the Tokyo and Shanghai rides. Amanda Falls can still be heard over the intercom, sounding enthusiastic about the skippers and their ability to provide a great tour to riders. Soon, you will be loaded onto a boat and taken on your voyage.

The skipper starts you off, ready to showcase exciting jungle rivers the world over… and maybe something more too. While the early part of the ride is unchanged from pre-2021 but with revised, more lively animatronics, and a few more animals added to each scene, once we enter the temple, things get more exciting. Turns out, this temple is actually taking us back in time. Escaping a giant spider guardian, the temple seems to suck us inward with glowing lights and projections of clocks running backwards. That’s right; we went back millions of years, and that means one thing…

We’re now in the time of the dinosaurs; and now they are reconstructed accurately with feathers, yet still providing a final menace and curiosity to riders worthy of Adventureland. Dinos peek out of the corners, herbivores trying to defend themselves from the strange vehicle, while the carnivores just think of the riders as curiosities. The true climax of the ride is a battle between angry spirits, debating over whether or not we should have gone back in time. Then go through the backside of water, which takes you back to the present. And guess who’s back at the end? That’s right, Trader Sam.
Dinosaurs are incredibly based, but I personally don't think they would be a very good fit with the original Disneyland Jungle Cruise. Jungle Cruise has always been pretty realistic and sedate, and I think a time travel gimmick would be at least a little bit out of place, unless there's some specific way you're imagining it that works well.

cdunlap

Coming soon to Frontierland Courtyard

The Zhang Family Manor:
Guests queue through the gardens of a Chinese mansion in San Francisco’s Chinatown. Guests enter a room in the mansion with a silk screen that depicts a Qilin. The screen comes to life when 15 guests enter and the door to the house shuts. It says “Greetings, friends. I am the Qilin, protector of the Zhang family. Yanlouwang, the emperor of Di Yu, or the Chinese Netherworld, is seeking revenge on humanity for mining gold in his Californian domain, so he resurrects an army and transforms them into Jiangshi. I noticed this and I am making troops to help me fight Jiangshi in Orlando! Simply pull of the golden cord on them in front of you to release light from a Magic Lantern attached to your rickshaw that I shall lead. Be aware that Jiangshi are masters of disguise.” Guests release light onto jiangshi posing as the lost expedition on Jungle Cruise, Hitchhiking Ghosts in Haunted Mansion, Pirates on Pirates Of The Caribbean, Tiki Birds on The Tiki Room, Robots on Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, The Dapper Dans, The Citizens Of Hollywood on Hollywood Boulevard, Pixar Characters in Toy Story Land , and tourists at Galaxy’s Edge. The qilin ends the ride by saying “My eternal gratitude goes to you for helping me defeat those wicked Jiangshi!” Guests exit into the house’s gardens and cross a red bridge to exit.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom