Idea for a Universal 3rd gate

Matt7187

Original Poster
Hello all! This idea just popped into my head a couple nights ago, and I have kept thinking about it, so I thought I would share it with you guys. My idea is that the park would be themed after America. Not like the old Disney America project, but modern day America. There would be lands from each major city, like New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, and so on. I know that in USF there are lands called New York, San Francisco, and Hollywood, but all of those could easily have their name changed because there really isn't that much theming. Then, each land in the new park would feature attractions based on movies and tv shows from each city. Also, I am torn on either making it four big lands (NYC, Chicago, Boston, LA) and an entrance land, or more lands with smaller cities. Thoughts on this idea?

mahnamahna101

It could be a great 2nd gate for Universal Hollywood, but I can't see this working at Universal Orlando. It's far too similar to what's already there... the 3rd gate needs a unique hook/theme. Historical America might be a better choice, since the different time periods provide some flexibility.

Matt7187

Original Poster
It could be a great 2nd gate for Universal Hollywood, but I can't see this working at Universal Orlando. It's far too similar to what's already there... the 3rd gate needs a unique hook/theme. Historical America might be a better choice, since the different time periods provide some flexibility.
Yeah, I see what you mean. But what theme would you have in mind for a universal 3rd gate?

BryceM

Um, no... They're names could not easily be changed. Hollywood in USF looks just like Hollywood, San Francisco in USF looks just like San Francisco, and New York in USF looks just like New York, minus the sight-line views from RockIt and Transformers.

They would have to completely redo these lands if they wanted to capitalize on another park with much of the same theming.

search

search

Matt7187

Original Poster
Um, no... They're names could not easily be changed. Hollywood in USF looks just like Hollywood, San Francisco in USF looks just like San Francisco, and New York in USF looks just like New York, minus the sight-line views from RockIt and Transformers.

They would have to completely redo these lands if they wanted to capitalize on another park with much of the same theming.

search

search
But seriously, what in the New York land is themed really well to being in new york? Twister? The mummy? How about San Francisco? Beetlejuice? Disaster is always on the chopping block it seems. What I was trying to say is most of the things in those lands don't have anything to do with the city, and they could easily be themed into new lands.

RMichael21

But seriously, what in the New York land is themed really well to being in new york? Twister? The mummy? How about San Francisco? Beetlejuice? Disaster is always on the chopping block it seems. What I was trying to say is most of the things in those lands don't have anything to do with the city, and they could easily be themed into new lands.
I think Bryce was talking about the facades and the exterior theming. Correct?

mahnamahna101

Yeah, I see what you mean. But what theme would you have in mind for a universal 3rd gate?
Something to tie into the loose theme of forms of entertainment between USF and IOA

USF - loosely based on movies/TV (urban locales)
IOA - loosely based on literature (exotic locales)

A 3rd gate might want to go with toys and games - maybe tie into childhood memories a little bit? Especially since Universal could use a little kid appeal. Plenty of sub areas: video games, cartoons, toys, board games, nostalgia, dreams, nightmares (Classic Monsters, Scooby Doo, Casper, zombies, etc) etc. Something to make it noticeably different from the other two parks and Wondersea Island (their upcoming water park)

mahnamahna101

Well, Twister could be rethemed to a Broadway show, while Mummy has the convoluted "film set that's not really a film set" thing and an okay facade. The street theming is pretty nice and I wouldn't want that aspect of USF to go away. Urban locales seems to be the loose link in USF.

BryceM

I think Bryce was talking about the facades and the exterior theming. Correct?
Correct. The pictures (which didn't work) focused on the extreme detailing put on each of the facades for their respective cities. It didn't have anything to do with the attractions themselves...

But it makes sense on what Matt is saying on how they could easily be themed into other lands. Like Twister could (and should) just be another part of Production Central. Though, Horror Make-Up makes sense in Hollywood, as does Disaster, er, at least the old Earthquake portion makes sense being in San Francisco.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom