ID required for DVC benefits

lazyboy97o

But they don't have your photo. I guess they think somebody could come in with their AP, then take their magic band and give ti to a frield so they can get a discount.

I know that they know if you have scanned into a part or not for the day with your AP. The old FP machines used to be like that. I tried using my kids APs to get FP once, but it would not let me because they had not entered the parks yet.

Maybe the AP discount systems is not tied to the park admissions, because it has to work at Disney Springs. I guess somebody who is AP or DVC could lend a magic band to a friend who is going to Disney Springs to eat and shop. Maybe that is what they are trying to prevent.

Not sure if I am OK with them having my picture on their systems. They do it on cruise ships already, but that's so if you go missing they can use it to try and find you.

-dave
Or your friend could just give you money and you make the purchase. It’s a ridiculous barrier that just wastes time.

bUU

Disney has no problem with friends who are entitled to discounts buying things for friends. What they encountered were people who were entitled to discounts, themselves, giving over their ID to friends who were not entitled to discounts.

Another example where a few self-centered guests ruin it for the rest of us.

unmitigated disaster

Nope, nope, nope, and nope. In a dozen trips I have yet to need any of them. Worst case scenario, I'll deal with it.
Assuming you're conscious. Also: it doesn't work like that. Really it doesn't. Last trip with no issues does nothing to ensure your next trip has no issues.

My question is: what is so evil about carrying a wallet?

yaksplat

Original Poster
Assuming you're conscious. Also: it doesn't work like that. Really it doesn't. Last trip with no issues does nothing to ensure your next trip has no issues.

My question is: what is so evil about carrying a wallet?

I'm not sure what you mean, it doesn't work like that. Anything could happen? Yes that's true. Should I prepare for all of these potential failure modes? I don't thing so. I spend my career looking for every way possible that things can fail, it's my job. When I'm on vacation, i walk away from that. Things happen, but it's very rare, and if they do, I'll deal with it. I'm not a paranoid worrier like some people. We take very little into the parks. No backpacks stuffed with cold cuts, loaves of bread, various condiments, ponchos, extra clothing, physical versions of cards and park tickets, snacks, water bottles, bandaids, and climbing gear. Magic band and phone, that's it.

here's a list of failures:

ticket system goes down
i don't get a discount
I get carded
phone dies
wife's phone dies
kid's phone dies
injury or illness
phone network goes down
wifi goes down
magic band doesn't work

So, if the ticket system goes down, we have three phones that all have access to the same sets of pictures. This set of pictures contains images of all of our park tickets and insurance cards, taken ahead of time. If needed, one of us can look them up.

if i don't get a discount, no big deal. but this only has a 5% failure rate. I guess next year i could try using an image of my id, but we're only talking about a few dollars here.

If i get carded, i just don't have a beer. No big deal. But this hasn't happened outside of a grocery store in 10 years.

if my phone dies, my wife or son are a backup. Likewise with theirs dying. Odds of all three dying are near 0%

if there's an injury, we have access to insurance cards via app or images.

if the magic band doesn't work, I use an app to pay. Or give them a memorized credit card number to punch in. Yes, that works.

So yes, i will have an issue if: ticketing system goes down and my phone dies and my wife's phone dies and my son's phone dies. The odds of this happening is infinitesimally small. I'll take the risk.

unmitigated disaster

Your having 12 trouble-free trips has zero influence on future trips.

There are still things as accidents. Mass shootings (unfortunately). Your transportation to the Parks getting T-boned.

I actually think it's cellphones that are the unnecessary item.

DisneyJoe

Disney POS in dining locations, snack carts and merchandise locations go down quite often. I never visit the parks without some cash, it doesn't need to be in a wallet.

yaksplat

Original Poster
Your having 12 trouble-free trips has zero influence on future trips.

There are still things as accidents. Mass shootings (unfortunately). Your transportation to the Parks getting T-boned.

I actually think it's cellphones that are the unnecessary item.
The odd of failure are the same each time. Actually, i believe they decrease with each trip due to further fool proofing and disaster recovery planning in the system.

You can't plan and worry about accidents. Things do happen that are completely out of your control. If you dwell on potential failure, you'll drive yourself crazy.

They've made cellphones the necessary item due to myMagic+. Reservations, fastpasses and online food ordering. Unless you want to stand in lines and use the kiosks.

correcaminos

I always have my driver's license, AP card, and credit card with me. The ID is asked for all the time with discounts and always has been. I don't drink, but my husband does so he needs an ID for that (we're early 40s but we still get carded a lot). Honestly I'm a little surprised to hear that people don't carry ID regularly. If my band gets lost and I need to prove who I am to GS, I have a way to prove it. Smart thing to carry some form with you. We do credit cards because we don't make a habit of charging to our bands.

Phonedave

I always have my driver's license, AP card, and credit card with me. The ID is asked for all the time with discounts and always has been. I don't drink, but my husband does so he needs an ID for that (we're early 40s but we still get carded a lot). Honestly I'm a little surprised to hear that people don't carry ID regularly. If my band gets lost and I need to prove who I am to GS, I have a way to prove it. Smart thing to carry some form with you. We do credit cards because we don't make a habit of charging to our bands.

I take my drivers license, a credit card, my DVC member card, and fold some cash around them and secure it with a rubber band. The added bonus is a rubber band creates enough friction to securely keep it in a front pocket.

Phonedave

Or your friend could just give you money and you make the purchase. It’s a ridiculous barrier that just wastes time.

There is a big difference between borrowing your friends magic band or AP card, and actually making your friend come with you all the way to the parks.

correcaminos

I take my drivers license, a credit card, my DVC member card, and fold some cash around them and secure it with a rubber band. The added bonus is a rubber band creates enough friction to securely keep it in a front pocket.
Try doing that when you're a woman the size of her 11yo son lol

I have a cell sleeve that holds things for me. My DVC card is sometimes with me but also on my phone. Given my phone fits no pockets when I have them (not all outfits do) it works!

Phonedave

Try doing that when you're a woman the size of her 11yo son lol

I have a cell sleeve that holds things for me. My DVC card is sometimes with me but also on my phone. Given my phone fits no pockets when I have them (not all outfits do) it works!

That is one of the things that would drive me crazy if I wore woman's clothes. A lack of pockets. It's not that I carry tons of stuff on my person, but on a normal basis I carry keys, a wallet, and two phones with me. I guess a purse could make up for it, but I don't want to carry around a bag either. Give me my normal pants pockets.

correcaminos

That is one of the things that would drive me crazy if I wore woman's clothes. A lack of pockets. It's not that I carry tons of stuff on my person, but on a normal basis I carry keys, a wallet, and two phones with me. I guess a purse could make up for it, but I don't want to carry around a bag either. Give me my normal pants pockets.
That's a common complaint for women too. We want real and usable pockets. My husband can carry his wallet, keys, 2 phones, and even ponchos all in his shorts. Me? My keys maybe. It sucks

unmitigated disaster

They've made cellphones the necessary item due to myMagic+. Reservations, fastpasses and online food ordering. Unless you want to stand in lines and use the kiosks.
I do have MDE on my kindle but other than that, meh. I've never waited in line for food more than 5 minutes. I didn't even bother to bring my phone on my last trip.

yaksplat

Original Poster
I do have MDE on my kindle but other than that, meh. I've never waited in line for food more than 5 minutes. I didn't even bother to bring my phone on my last trip.
I used it a couple times and it worked well. The best was at Aloha Isle. There were about 20 people in line. I just placed my order through the app and went right up to the pickup location and had dole whip in hand in a minute.

Janir

Seriously? How about an ID, CC, insurance card, little bit of cash....
Technology can fail you. Your phone could go missing or break etc.
Heck I don't go into the parks with out my general every day carry of wallet with cash, some cards and ID, sunglasses, IFAK, flashlight and a pen to scribble with. All except wallet in a vest.
Extra pocket space for water/soda bottle and phone battery and park maps is helpful. :)

Janir

I used it a couple times and it worked well. The best was at Aloha Isle. There were about 20 people in line. I just placed my order through the app and went right up to the pickup location and had dole whip in hand in a minute.
+1 for mobile ordering! Even with almost no one in line, the mobile ordering is fast. Place the order and you can even time the "I'm here activation" to just s minute or two away from the ordering pickup and you come up to the pick up point and there's your food order ready to go.

correcaminos

I just wish you could use gift cards for mobile ordering and the like. That's the only reason we don't use it much. Once our money runs out that way we have, but it takes us a while to burn through it all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom