I'd like a new House of Horrors that dwarfs, outscares, & outclasses...

Hitchens

Original Poster
I'd like (please) a new House of Horrors that dwarfs, out-scares & outclasses Disney's Haunted Mansion.

I'd repeatedly enjoy a new $300 million+ House of Horrors that tries to dramatically outdo the Haunted Mansion (my all-time favorite attraction.)

Please make it partly walk-through, partly ride-through with changing monsters, many played by live actors, and a section of the track/attraction that guests only ride through in October & late September, when (especially at night) the scares and gore are amped up.

We were discussing on another thread how great it is when Imagineers try to make the best ride ever. Another Micechatter thought this was attempted with (early Eisner's) Indy Jones at Disneyland. It may have also been attempted with Radiator Springs Racers, Spiderman, Transformers, HP & the Forbidden Journey, and Gringott's.

IF interestingly different Houses of Horror were built in Orlando and at U. H.wood with
beautiful original music (or barring that, the best scary classical music),
amazing special effects,
that new darkest-ever black that one artist currently has the rights to,
and the ability to change some of the sets to (sigh) promote the latest horror IP,
THEN it would force many of WDW's curious, thrill-seeking guests to visit Universal.

It could be a great, worthy follow up to Potter. An attraction with the main goal of being the best attraction yet created.

Maybe even copy the Doombuggies and the concept of leaving the castle/mansion and going "outside" during the ride. Why emulate Doombuggies? It's great going through a scary attraction with just one friend or family member or two. To increase capacity they could have two tracks. And copy what Walt did (probably unintentionally)--put up the magnificent shell/entrance while it's being constructed, even if (like the Haunted Mansion) it doesn't open for years later. Imagine the fun of cast members denying it exists for a year then telling people it won't be an attraction and urging them not to make direct eye contact with it.

Maybe make it Count Dracula's Castle with yet another castle that outdoes Disney's castle in some ways. Dracula would be a wonderful host for this tour.

What I loved most about the House of Horrors was the professionalism of the full-time, year-round monsters who were generally better than those at the Halloween events. They knew not to try and terrify a child who was too young to be in there and to bring on the terror for the teens who came for that.

JT3000

While I can appreciate the amount of thought you've put into this, you're probably not too likely to see this sort of thing come to fruition, at least in Orlando. For one, Universal doesn't usually take their horror franchises all that seriously outside of HHN. For years, the biggest presence their classic monsters had in the parks was in a kitschy parody show where they sung and danced. Need I say more?

And while rumors abound of live actors being involved in Skull Island in some capacity, I don't see Universal staffing something that would probably be seen as just a glorified year-round haunted house, even if they do include a ride element. Not only would it be costly, likely without attracting enough guests to justify that cost, but it would also potentially eat into HHN's market, at least as far as casuals go. Why show up for their big money maker if you can get your horror fix 365 days a year? Sure, they could redecorate the thing for HHN, but your idea of having an entire section of the attraction set aside for those occasions isn't cost efficient.

I also have to wonder if this is even the right market for a haunted attraction in a major theme park. Sure, Hollywood has had a haunted attraction for years, but their clientele doesn't consist mostly of easily offended tourists who never research anything beforehand and will threaten to sue because someone made little Timmy cry. Just Californians who... oh, nevermind...

Would I like to see Universal open a permanent, legitimately horror-themed attraction (not counting the Make-up Show?) Sure, but it's probably a pipe dream, and if they do, it won't involve live actors, nor will it be gory, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom