Id for kids?

tigsmom

We flew from NY to Florida. We flew JetBlue and were told that everyone (no ages mentioned) would need photo ID and they asked for it from us all, yep even the 12 y/o in both NY and Orlando.

KingStefan

We flew from NY to Florida. We flew JetBlue and were told that everyone (no ages mentioned) would need photo ID and they asked for it from us all, yep even the 12 y/o in both NY and Orlando.

Wow! That is very interesting. I wonder if there was something special going on during your travel, like a raised security condition or whatnot. Because I specifically called jetBlue and asked about the documentation requirements, and they said that under 18 requires no documentation, except if you are travelling with an infant under 2 yo for free (to prove eligibility to fly without a seat).

I suppose it would be a good idea to bring proof of age if you're travelling with someone who looks like they might be 18 or older, but they specifically said no documentation required for children.

tigsmom

Wow! That is very interesting. I wonder if there was something special going on during your travel, like a raised security condition or whatnot. Because I specifically called jetBlue and asked about the documentation requirements, and they said that under 18 requires no documentation, except if you are travelling with an infant under 2 yo for free (to prove eligibility to fly without a seat).

I suppose it would be a good idea to bring proof of age if you're travelling with someone who looks like they might be 18 or older, but they specifically said no documentation required for children.

Nope, we flew to Florida during Spring Break. When we made the reservations they said everyone needed the ID and they specifically asked the 12 y/o for hers and it wasn't like she offered to show them, they asked for it. We didn't even fly out of one of the NYC airports either. :shrug:

coasterphil

That doesn't make any sense at all. I know I didn't even have an ID until I started high school because we never got student IDs before then. Did you buy a special ticket or something that would require proof for that reason, because I can't think of any other reason why they would ask for it.

shari71

Over the last two years my kids have flown 4 times and have never been asked for ID. We used Delta and Southwest for these flights out of Louisville, KY to Orlando. Never been asked either way. I don't carry any id other than a identification incase a child is kidnapped with me and have never had to show it. Schools in our area don't issue IDs so I don't know what other picture ids i could get for them.

tigsmom

That doesn't make any sense at all. I know I didn't even have an ID until I started high school because we never got student IDs before then. Did you buy a special ticket or something that would require proof for that reason, because I can't think of any other reason why they would ask for it.

Nope, just a regular ticket. All schools here give out picture ID's starting in 6th grade so I don't know what you would do for a younger kid. :shrug:

Its very easy to get picture ID's made up, many local agencies have them and they are similar to driver's licenses, but for non drivers and kids.

Phonedave

Nope, just a regular ticket. All schools here give out picture ID's starting in 6th grade so I don't know what you would do for a younger kid. :shrug:

Its very easy to get picture ID's made up, many local agencies have them and they are similar to driver's licenses, but for non drivers and kids.

Still makes no sense.

1) Again, most kids have no ID's

2) Any school ID's are non-standard. Give me 15 minutes with a digital camera, photoshop, and some iron-on lamination and I can slap a photo, a "School seal" and a fake school name on an ID. It's not a government issued ID so whats it really proving.

3) I USED to be able to fly with my work ID (phone company) up until about 2 years ago. I used to use it just because it was easier then pulling out my drivers license. But about 2 years ago the TSA stopped taking it. I was suprised that they ever took it in the first place.

4) Last Aug/Sep my two kids and I flew JetBlue from Newark NJ to MCO, and they were not asked for ID's. I did have their passports with me because we needed them when we got on the cruise, but as far as the domestic flight was concerned, nobody said a word, either at EWR or MCO.

-dave

coltow

It's my understanding that children under 18 did not require ID though some airlines may ask if you have them any how. I always travel with DS birth certificate just in case it's ever needed and it never has been.

maelstrom

Nope, we flew to Florida during Spring Break. When we made the reservations they said everyone needed the ID and they specifically asked the 12 y/o for hers and it wasn't like she offered to show them, they asked for it. We didn't even fly out of one of the NYC airports either. :shrug:

I flew from Stewart to Orlando in May and, of course, wasn't asked for my ID at airline check-in. I can't quite remember what your younger daughter looks like, but I'm sure she looks older than me! And we flew on JetBlue as well. Most 12 year olds aren't going to have ID. I didn't even have a license until I was over 18. This nonsense is getting way out of hand.

Gotta love the ID checkers on the security line, though. After scrutinizing my license and boarding pass for an obscenely long time (the only thing to match is the name, no reason to take so long), she hands them both back to me and asks, "how old are you?" OMFG are you kidding me?! You just had my license in your hand for a ridiculously long time. Subtract 1986 from 2007; that's how old I am! And she wasn't doing it in "OMG!!!111 you might be a terrwrist" way; she just thought I looked too young to have a license that didn't say Under 21 on it.

Hate airports. Hate airlines. Hate "security". Hate the TSA. :fork:

tigsmom

I flew from Stewart to Orlando in May and, of course, wasn't asked for my ID at airline check-in. I can't quite remember what your younger daughter looks like, but I'm sure she looks older than me! And we flew on JetBlue as well. Most 12 year olds aren't going to have ID. I didn't even have a license until I was over 18. This nonsense is getting way out of hand.

Gotta love the ID checkers on the security line, though. After scrutinizing my license and boarding pass for an obscenely long time (the only thing to match is the name, no reason to take so long), she hands them both back to me and asks, "how old are you?" OMFG are you kidding me?! You just had my license in your hand for a ridiculously long time. Subtract 1986 from 2007; that's how old I am! And she wasn't doing it in "OMG!!!111 you might be a terrwrist" way; she just thought I looked too young to have a license that didn't say Under 21 on it.

Hate airports. Hate airlines. Hate "security". Hate the TSA. :fork:

:lol:

Both my girls look older than their ages (and you are 2 years older than Lil'Mermaid) and even the 12 y/o is taller/bigger than you are. :lol:

I have no idea why we were told (over the phone) that everyone needed ID, but they always have it anyway because....well, you know.....you never know what might happen. :lookaroun

maelstrom

:lol:

Both my girls look older than their ages (and you are 2 years older than Lil'Mermaid) and even the 12 y/o is taller/bigger than you are. :lol:

I have no idea why we were told (over the phone) that everyone needed ID, but they always have it anyway because....well, you know.....you never know what might happen. :lookaroun

Yeah, I know Lil'Mermaid looks older than me! I can pretend-send her a gift card for that adult store on 17M on her birthday, then, right? ;) I mean, it's only fair, you did that to me for my birthday, haha.

Well at their ages I don't think it's the most awful thing in the world to have an ID on them (does Lil'Mermaid drive yet? I seem to remember a bit of a snag with the Astrovan). But six year olds don't need ID. Stupid airlines.

tigsmom

Yeah, I know Lil'Mermaid looks older than me! I can pretend-send her a gift card for that adult store on 17M on her birthday, then, right? ;) I mean, it's only fair, you did that to me for my birthday, haha.

Well at their ages I don't think it's the most awful thing in the world to have an ID on them (does Lil'Mermaid drive yet? I seem to remember a bit of a snag with the Astrovan). But six year olds don't need ID. Stupid airlines.

:lol: Yep she drives now. Has her own car and commuted to Fishkill everyday last summer. She has gotten a lot better. She will be driving down In Tampa come January. :eek:

maelstrom

:lol: Yep she drives now. Has her own car and commuted to Fishkill everyday last summer. She has gotten a lot better. She will be driving down In Tampa come January. :eek:

I'm 21 (22 in January!) and I'm not allowed to drive pretty much anywhere. The farthest I've driven is Montague and Matamoras. I wasn't even allowed to drive to Kingston when I practically lived up there. I understand that my dad owns the car so I have to go by his rules, but come on! They felt better with Andy picking me up in the horrible snowstorms to drive out to Greenville in his crappy little Mazda with bald tires, instead of my stationwagon with front-wheel drive and snowtires! Same thing with going to visit his brother in York; yeah, let's drive the crappy car four hours away. I told my parents I'd be calling THEM if Andy's car broke down. And it's not like I've done anything horrible, either. I hit a deer (pretty much unavoidable) and got pulled over once, and the trooper reduced it to parking on pavement and I paid my fine.

shari71

Here is a quote from my Confirmation email on flight travel from Disney.

"At this time, a government-issued photo identification is required for all air passengers 18 years and older."

This was 6 months ago, but I don't see anything on the TSA site indicating it has changed.

rainfully

You can always get a state-issued ID... my mom got me one when I was 12 so I could sign and cash travelers checks when we traveled.

kennedy

Can't remember if you said what airline you're flying, but here's United's policy:

ID and documentation requirements

Domestic travel
For travel within the 50 United States only.
All passengers 18 and older are required to present valid and unexpired government-issued photo identification (federal, state or local). For example: driver’s license or passport. All customers must carry government-issued identification with them at all times and may be asked to show identification during boarding.

If you do not have government-issued photo identification, two forms of identification are required:
1. Non-photo government identification. For example: a voter registration card or social security card.
2. Credit card or birth certificate

Customers without proper identification may be subject to additional security screening procedures.

shoppingnut

We didn't need any ID for my nephew last month flying to WDW on Jet Blue. He is 3 yrs old and has a different last name from my sister, since she is divorced.

I also flew this summer with my 13 yr. old nephew and no one asked him for ID.

steveNJ

----------------------------------------
from Jet blue site:
ID Requirements for Domestic Travel
Government issued identification is required for all customers 18 years of age
and over. Identification is not required for any person under the age of 18.
The name on the ID must match the name in the reservation.

Customers traveling with an infant as a lap child may be asked for proof of age,
such as a passport, birth certificate (copies are acceptable for domestic travel)
or an immunization record when the infant's age is questionable.

Infants between three and 14 days old must also have, in the form of a letter, their doctor's approval to travel.

Continental:
Children under the age of 18 traveling with an adult are not required to show ID at time of check-in.

TSA:
We encourage each adult traveler to keep his/her airline boarding pass and government-issued photo ID available until exiting the security checkpoint (children are not required to show identification).

NEVER leave babies in an infant carrier while it goes through the X-ray machine. :ROFLOL:
------------------------------

That's all domestic, changes when you go international or unaccompanied minor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom