Iconic Purple Directional Signs Being Replaced

James Alucobond

I'm sorry that my eyes (and those of many in this thread) don't align with the research on this topic.

From whence comes your very specific knowledge of the font and contrast used here?
A brief history of Highway Gothic, Interstate, and their ilk is a common topic touched upon in practically any course on typography.

Contrast can be checked by anyone using a color contrast checker, available as a plugin for most design software or for free online, but the fact that it has far more contrast than other blue road signage should be immediately apparent to everyone.

Sir_Cliff

Right. And my comments weren't really about the road signs, because I don't really care about them. I do think the purple ones were unique in a way the new ones aren't, but it's so minor it's almost irrelevant.

It was more of an observation of the value of nostalgia to Disney parks and their ability to keep bringing people back as repeat visitors.
Certainly, I agree.

I think, again, Disneyland is better at achieving the balance between providing an experience that plays on nostalgia but always feels fresh. WDW often just leans into never changing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Why spend so much money on something nobody cares about?
You are assuming they paid for these? I’m guessing they didn’t.

I doubt it was: “should we put up blue signs, or build something to address our pathetic ride capacity in 2 of 4 parks?”

(Yes…I’m kidding…I know they don’t give rat’s about #2)

Tony the Tigger

Because for people who drove across country to go to WDW, many as kids, the signs were the first indication that they were finally there!! They have a very unique role in nostalgia for many.
There will still be signs. They will still be the first indication.
Why spend so much money on something nobody cares about?
Because the purple wall was throwing their weight around?

Casper Gutman

A brief history of Highway Gothic, Interstate, and their ilk is a common topic touched upon in practically any course on typography.

Contrast can be checked by anyone using a color contrast checker, available as a plugin for most design software or for free online, but the fact that it has far more contrast than other blue road signage should be immediately apparent to everyone.
You singled me out, but a lot of folks here seem to feel it is less distinct, so that “everyone” seems somewhat limited. It was absolutely my first impression.

I mean, we’ve been told that painting giant warehouses blue will make them virtually invisible to the naked eye, but blue road signs against the blue sky are really going to pop?

denyuntilcaught

I echo the sentiments of others - the purple was dated and felt TOO 90s or whenever they were established. They also reminded me of DLP, which isn't a positive thing. While I appreciate the deep psychology of color analysis that went into the color choices, I think the new design is at least more visually appealing.

James Alucobond

You singled me out, but a lot of folks here seem to feel it is less distinct, so that “everyone” seems somewhat limited. It was absolutely my first impression.

I mean, we’ve been told that painting giant warehouses blue will make them virtually invisible to the naked eye, but blue road signs against the blue sky are really going to pop?
I didn't say the signs would "pop" more. They may not; I have not conducted or read studies on road sign color relative to the environment, though I am sure they exist. All I said was that white text is, without exception, more legible when its contrast ratio relative to the background color behind it is higher. This is why WCAG, for instance, requires websites to meet certain color contrast thresholds for all typographic and interactive elements in order to be considered compliant.

Whether or not this particular shade of blue is as effective at grabbing your attention is a separate issue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom