IASW Introducing Dolls in Wheelchairs

MrPromey

Honestly I'm surprised this hadn't been done years ago. But, no brainer from me. Seems like a super easy thing to do, and something almost nobody would notice unless it is something personal to you. I just wish it wasn't taking til next year for WDW. These are the types of changes that gets everyone on board.

Yeah, definitely a positive announcement.

Not trying to be a downer but I was wondering why this won't be making its way to Florida until sometime next year, too.

Anyway, nice to be happy about a change in the parks for once in recent times.

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
Yeah, definitely a positive announcement.

Not trying to be a downer but I was wondering why this won't be making its way to Florida until sometime next year, too.

Anyway, nice to be happy about a change in the parks for once in recent times.

I assume this was a Disneyland initiative and WDW has now decided to sign on?

Brian

Speaking as the resident wokeness curmudgeon, I have no problem with this.

It's minimally intrusive, doesn't come across as a virtue signal, and I can see it being appreciated by those who are wheelchair bound, especially those coming to terms with being wheelchair bound following a life-changing injury.

Last edited:

AndyS2992

I think this is nice, it's inclusive and almost all of the dolls are standing so nice to see a little more variety with the poses.

I see people on Facebook being outraged as to why it took so long, though I can only assume It's a Small World is supposed to depict a perfect World at peace and happiness and having sick and disabled children wouldn't be a thing in an ideal world.

Epcot82Guy

I think this is a really nice way to add inclusivity, especially with an attraction focused on that idea.

As long as it's not an ECV or stroller... 😆

Angel Ariel

I think this is nice, it's inclusive and almost all of the dolls are standing so nice to see a little more variety with the poses.

I see people on Facebook being outraged as to why it took so long, though I can only assume It's a Small World is supposed to depict a perfect World at peace and happiness and having sick and disabled children wouldn't be a thing in an ideal world.
Agree that it’s nice and inclusive - one small note in all good faith - disabled doesn’t equal sick. Many disabled people are absolutely healthy and happy. Ideal doesn’t have to equal homogenous 😊. Ideal could simply be a world in which disabilities exist, yes, and it is one in which they are fully accommodated without the roadblocks in accessibility so many face today :)

Speedy71

Those dolls are still creepy.

living single shiver GIF by HULU

Inspired Figment

It doesn’t make sense to me that so many here are pleased with this change (which I think is great), but unhappy with other changes designed to improve representation and inclusion. What’s the difference?
Because it fits within the spirit of the attraction, isn’t film or tv based IP needlessly shoehorned in, and doesn’t take away anything that’s original/iconic to the attraction

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom