I went to another park

graphite1326

Original Poster
I hadn't been to another park, other than WDW, in over 20 years. It was an amusement park which is different I know. But I was quite surprised on how much this park has changed and tried to be more disneyish. They had shows that they never had before, and they have made different parts of the park into different themes. They even had a new ride similar to Buzz light Year.

The lines were long and BORING. I guess that is what I disliked the most. standing in the hot sun in long lines with nothing to do or look at.

I guess Disney has spoiled me.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I'll concur with that for my once every 3-5 years visit to King's Dominion. My home park is Busch Gardens Williamsburg so I like to consider myself extremely lucky to visit two(err one and a world) wonderful parks on a regular basis.

ArielLover

:ROFLOL: My wife and I went to Disney together before we got married ( got engaged there). She had not been since she was a kid and did not remember it. After we got back the next summer we went to out local amusement park (she had been going there with her family every summer for 20 years) she wanted to leave after 2 hours, " this isn't like Disney" may have been heard. We have not been back since but have honeymooned at Disney and heading down this Nov for our 2 year anniversary.

David S.

I'm a fan of parks in general - whether it be the magic, warmth, whimsy, theming, detail, and storytelling of Disney parks; or the old-school more thrill-oriented classic amusement parks. Occupying a middle ground between these two are the large regional theme parks that have some theming ambitions, but fall short of Disney level. (Athough some, like the Busch Gardens parks, fare better than others).

I visit examples of all three types fairly regularly.

I never feel disappointed that these other parks aren't like Disney because I don't visit them expecting them to be. I enjoy them all for what they are. It's like the way you can enjoy the Beatles and Tchaikovsky, without feeling like one should be more like the other.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I hadn't been to another park, other than WDW, in over 20 years. It was an amusement park which is different I know. But I was quite surprised on how much this park has changed and tried to be more disneyish. They had shows that they never had before, and they have made different parts of the park into different themes. They even had a new ride similar to Buzz light Year.

The lines were long and BORING. I guess that is what I disliked the most. standing in the hot sun in long lines with nothing to do or look at.

Never hurts to try other parks. As was said before, Busch Gardens Williamsburg is terrific, in theming, rides and even landscaping. Since my son is into them I'll probably take a spin down to the new Legoland, and the WWoHP at Universal as well. Never hurts to try something new.

LilSuzy

Just got back from Cedar Point, and my how the park has changed in the last 18 years. I noticed Disney like changes from shows, to kiddie areas all over that weren't there when I was a teen. It wasn't Disney, as much as I compared it, however my son was just thrilled to meet Charlie Brown....THAT made it worth it :)

Crockett

Banned
As was said before, Busch Gardens Williamsburg is terrific, in theming, rides and even landscaping. Since my son is into them I'll probably take a spin down to the new Legoland, and the WWoHP at Universal as well. Never hurts to try something new.
I hope you're being sarcastic.

Florida

I went to Disneyland Paris before I came to WDW and I'm sure if I went back there I'd still be spoiled by the great feeling you get from the good old Magic Kingdom!

MickeyPeace

I went to Six Flags Great Adventure last year in New Jersey. Although I could see the attempt to emulate Disney with certain attractions, it came off as laughable.

"Animal Kingdom" section, themed queues, electric parade= all lame.

Sorry but I will never get used to looking at a parking lot on a roller coaster.

WildcatDen

We have passes to King's Island and very much enjoy our weekday visits in the Summer and Fall. Can't beat the value and I would put the Beast up against any other roller coaster ever built. Bottom line is that you do not go to King's Island with anything close to the expectations you go to WDW for. That would be silly.

When a Season pass cost less than a single day ticket at Disney, you would have to be trying pretty hard to not see the value. Are we not entertained?

acishere

I visit Great Adventure on a yearly basis. I used to have a season pass, but the crowd levels and behavior just became unbearable. You know how everyone here complains about Brazilian tour groups? They are nothing compared to the Staten Island guidos that invade GA (and the Jersey Shore) in the summer. I just go once in the spring to get my El Toro, Medusa (I'm not calling it Bizarro so don't correct me), and Nitro. Maybe Kingda Ka, its not really worth the wait despite its records.

My Disney trip always has a Universal 2 day addition. Plus as a fan of Harry Potter, I need to finally visit WWoHP. I might do Universal Hollywood as well for Halloween Horror Nights since I'll be in LA in early October.

David S.

We have passes to King's Island and very much enjoy our weekday visits in the Summer and Fall. Can't beat the value and I would put the Beast up against any other roller coaster ever built.

And I would agree on many levels! It's long, wooden, and epic. Night rides on it speeding through the dark woods are sublime!

I went to Six Flags Great Adventure last year in New Jersey. Although I could see the attempt to emulate Disney with certain attractions, it came off as laughable.

"Animal Kingdom" section, themed queues, electric parade= all lame.

I wasn't there in the summer, so I didn't see the parade. As for their drive-through Safari, I agree that it is no match for the AK's in terms of theming, atmosphere, and story, but I really enjoyed it for what it was. It is a very long drive and there are lots of animals.

I liked the three lane system that allows you to go at your own pace, and take as LONG as you want enjoying the animals, taking pictures, etc., because the cars who want to move past you have passing lanes.

I just really enjoyed being able to be that close to so many exotic animals, in my own vehicle. Having a giraffe lean down and lick the windshield, a bear wander into the road and sniff the tires, a bison block the path for several minutes, and a rhino literally less than two feet away from the car were memorable, unforgettable experiences! :)

Since1976

I try to visit a park other than Disney at least once a year. HersheyPark is probably closest to where I live, but I consider my home park to be Kings Dominion. Busch Gardens Williamsburg is great as well.

I don't feel I'm betraying my Disney fandom by going to "regular" amusement parks. They're all great fun, but in a completely different way from WDW / DL.

As for Universal and Islands of Adventure, I make a point of visiting at least every other trip to Orlando, because for all they don't do well (customer service, cleanliness) they do some other things right -- theming, whimsical architecture.

Stepping out of the Disney bubble gives you a well-rounded park-going experience.

Funny, the title of this thread sounds like it could be a song:
"I Went to Another Park (and I Liked It)"

Lucky

I try to visit a park other than Disney at least once a year. HersheyPark is probably closest to where I live, but I consider my home park to be Kings Dominion. Busch Gardens Williamsburg is great as well.

I went to Hershey a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised. You can tell they borrowed ideas from Disney, but there's nothing wrong with that.

I wouldn't put King's Dominion in the same league with Hershey or BG-W.

BigRedDad

I went to Universal in June and will be going back in Nov for our 10th Anniversary. We honeymooned at WDW in 2001. We love WDW, but cannot go there all the time. The reason we are going to Universal is to be able to enjoy the more adult things it has to offer. We are also staying in a deluxe resort for almost as much as a Disney Value.

We go to Busch Gardens Williamsburg for 1-day or weekend trips. It is about all it is good for. It is gorgeously decorated and can easily be done in 1 or 2 days. Kings Dominion and Carowinds are close, but I will never step foot in one of those parks again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom