I was questioned by security about photographing at the Boardwalk

ptaylor

Premium Member
Original Poster
I was over at the Boardwalk the other night shooting a few shots of the area. I was there for around 10 minutes, with a tripod. A security guard came over and asked what I was doing. I responded that I was taking some photos. He asked what for. I replied, just for fun. He then asked if I had a shop or a business and where do I live. (I assumed he meant a photography shop ?!?) I replied no. He then asked how long I would be there for. At which point I told him I was done and left.

Never had this happen before. Just thought I would pass that along.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I was over at the Boardwalk the other night shooting a few shots of the area. I was there for around 10 minutes, with a tripod. A security guard came over and asked what I was doing. I responded that I was taking some photos. He asked what for. I replied, just for fun. He then asked if I had a shop or a business and where do I live. (I assumed he meant a photography shop ?!?) I replied no. He then asked how long I would be there for. At which point I told him I was done and left.

Never had this happen before. Just thought I would pass that along.

There's a thread out there about someone having a similar (well, worse) exchange with WDW Security at DtD. Apparently, the sight of a tripod really sets off alarms with them.....

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Because if a terrorist is going to take pictures on some sort of scouting mission, he'll be sure to set up his tri-pod and be as conspicious as possible??? :lookaroun

You know what, find the other thread. The situation there involved the use of a tripod camera.....

PhotoDave219

Disney Security feels that tripods are the sign of professional equipment .... or so has been my experience. Suddenly they seem to have this massive fear of you selling your photos for commercial gain. or thats what I've heard.

Also, Disney hates tripods in large crowded areas. Guest safety thing.

My best advice? Always say you're on vacation, always say its just a hobby and you're doing this for fun. Never say youre going to put them online or the internet. Just go with that "its a neat photo and i'm doing it just for me"

SRisonS

Kinda sucks that this happens to some people, once in a while. And yes, there was a "major" incident more recently with a Mr. William Beem.

Hrudey3032

Oh yeah...I didn't say all, but many have that attitude. I have had my fair share of incidents with them on and off the clock.

Many are good people and I have had and still have some pretty good friends in Disney Security. But the ones who let that stupid badge go to their head need a reality check.

Those would be the Deputy Fifes of the world.

ddbowdoin

I had a nice tripod set up for Epcot Illuminations... grabbed some nice long exposures but it was during a weeknight and the crowds were smaller (may 2010). I couldn't imagine having a tripod on Mainstreet during a spectromagic show... I could see them giving me crap for that. I'd love Disney at night, my camera, a manfrotto tripod, and an empty park. Crowds take away from photos... but its an impossible goal to have

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom