Trip Report I Vowed Never Again ~ Yet Here We Are! *COMPLETED*

Wait, what?

WDW-obsessed Tuvalu actually vowed never again ?!?!

Must. Read. More.

Clickbait! :joyfull:

But there is truth in my statement. I did vow not to visit the world whenever our spring break...always the first week in April....aligns with Easter. The first week of April typically brings heavy crowds since most southern school systems are out. I can handle heavy. But add in additional volume from schools that coordinate their break with Easter and “heavy” becomes INSANE. (Not quite the insanity of Christmas week....I am smart enough to avoid that, thanks to a one-day trip in 1994.)

But I’ve BEEN THERE ~
In 2009 (during the recession) when it took 40 minutes just to get through the Epcot parking booth....and the line for the boat ride in Mexico was out the front door of the pavilion....and Magic Kingdom was closed due to capacity.

In 2010 when the mid-morning standby wait for Test Track was 240 minutes (that’s 4 hours, people!) and the wait time for Nemo (Nemo!) was 150 minutes.

In 2015 when we watched the 6:45 am MK Welcome show in the dark because we wanted to ride a few attractions before the hordes descended.

Long lines to use the restrooms (always filthy because attendants couldn’t keep up); no available tables in quick-service locations, forcing guests to sit on the ground outside the restaurants; and a general atmosphere of cranky/angry guests who didn’t like dealing with the multitude any more than I did.

So I declared, DONE THAT!

Or so I thought.....

My darling daughter Em lives for spring break. As a student she vacationed (Disney or beach) every year but one ~ and there was nearly a mutiny! Now that she’s a teacher, going away for spring break has reached an even higher level of importance. 😉 With this year’s Easter/spring break overlap, we began researching other warm-weather destinations.

Guess what we discovered. Transportation, resort and dining costs were cheaper if we went to WDW! And having APs means our entertainment would be free. Em’s teacher budget would not be strained. The practical side of me could not argue....and the mom side of me could not disappoint my daughter.

We leave on Monday. We’re prepared. And we’re gonna be LIVE!

BB429FCD-F668-4041-835B-D5BAFEDFD831.jpeg

A few Magic meet-ups are in the works. Hope to keep them a surprise (as long as @Zipitidoda doesn’t spill the beans! :cautious:)

Despite declining MagicBands for our upcoming stay, these arrived in yesterday’s mail ~

B65C6FED-62FE-4F60-AC49-54D2F3BA526E.jpeg

Yeah, like we’re gonna wear the UGLY gray ones.....🙄

See Ya Real Soon!

Zipadeelady

For the first time in forever (or more accurately, “ever”) Em and I were truly sad to be leaving AK. The weather had been absolutely perfect for exploring the park, we’d managed to avoid the worst of the crowds, lunch was a yummy new experience and we were able to do the rides we like best. We could have easily stayed longer to see the Festival of the Lion King and/or Finding Nemo the Musical (been a long time since we’ve seen that!) It would have been fun to check out the Nomad Lounge, have dinner at Flame Tree BBQ and even catch Rivers of Light.

But we had a Tragical appointment to keep. And after missing our Tragical in December, we wanted to allow a little extra time to get back to POFQ. Of course we encountered no delays, but it did give us the opportunity to indulge in a chocolate lava cake at the food court. :hungry:

I noticed this player piano in the corner.

View attachment 281910
What else would it play but jazz tunes? 😉

And that, my friends, is the last picture for this trip report!

I’ll have some final thoughts coming up.
Are you starting to become and AK lover!!? I can spent the whole day there and not get bored at all.:inlove:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wow.... that took me some time to catch up! Great report! Thanks for sharing! Love the POFQ pics. Best resort in WDW! Will be there next October!
Glad you read through it all, @FlaggNL :geek:. Hope you have a super stay at POFQ in the fall!
Thanks for another great report. I'm looking forward to the next one.
As always a pleasure to have you along!
Are you starting to become and AK lover!!? I can spent the whole day there and not get bored at all.:inlove:
AK is definitely growing on me with a caveat ~ it cannot be over 80 degrees or more than 50 percent humidity. That park is brutal in the heat!!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
@Longers ~

90444A4B-2CCC-4166-82B8-6E5900012598.jpeg

The young CM had assigned all the rows except the first row. We were next in line and as he was about to say, “Row one” I said, “We’d rather ride in the back.”

He looked at us and said somewhat condescendingly, “Are you sure? The front car has the smoothest ride.”

Now I realize I am a grandma of two (who likely looks ancient to a 20 year old) but this grandma has been riding the wildest ride in the wilderness for 40 years....and yes, I am QUITE SURE I want to ride in the back!

“Row 15,” he mumbled.
😊

MinnieM123

Premium Member
The young CM had assigned all the rows except the first row. We were next in line and as he was about to say, “Row one” I said, “We’d rather ride in the back.”

He looked at us and said somewhat condescendingly, “Are you sure? The front car has the smoothest ride.”

Now I realize I am a grandma of two (who likely looks ancient to a 20 year old) but this grandma has been riding the wildest ride in the wilderness for 40 years....and yes, I am QUITE SURE I want to ride in the back!

“Row 15,” he mumbled.

1525605803134.png

Big Hair

@Longers ~

View attachment 282241

“Row 15,” he mumbled.
😊
Okay you guys, I am in on this BTM challenge. I believe I am up to 3 for the year. I will verify with past records and witnesses. Whether you want me or not you have to reckon with the one they call Big Hair.

Longers

Okay you guys, I am in on this BTM challenge. I believe I am up to 3 for the year. I will verify with past records and witnesses. Whether you want me or not you have to reckon with the one they call Big Hair.

Feel free to join in - you’ll have more chance of beating @Tuvalu than me bearing in mind I’m only going to get 2 trips in - and when I accepted the challenge I only had 1 booked!

blreinsel

As other forum members can attest (looking at you @Zipitidoda, @blgauger, @myhappyplace) the Prophets are a delightful couple

That they are! :joyfull:

Glad to hear Earl of Sandwich is still tasty. It's on our list in June. We've never been there, do you have any recommendations?

The Chipotle Chicken Avocado is to die for! :hungry:

I wish I could say this was Gouda. :hilarious: But it was awful! Stale and chewy, like it had been left under a heat lamp far too long. The trash can enjoyed it more than we did.

Sorry you thought so. :( I've had it twice now and LOVED it both times!

Also glad that you loved Satu'li! It has quickly become one of my favorite QS locations! :hungry:

monykalyn

Awesome trip report as usual! and great pictures as well.
Is that her winter coat?!! I know that Floridians have thin blood but this seems a bit extreme!
yeeeaaahhh-my oldest spent last fall there-she would text me when it dropped below 70degrees and say she was getting her "winter gear". She routinely had her jacket on at night...She is going back for the summer and is really looking forward to it. But when you like 8% body fat (she is 6'2" and ~145#) I guess you feel cold more often:joyfull:
It would have been fun to check out the Nomad Lounge,
You've been to Nomad before though right? My favorite hang out place in all the parks. And LOVE Satu'li Canteen-favorite is steak, potato hash with creamy herb sauce. Although the fish is good with quinoa... glad you were able to see FoP with eyes mostly open. My MiL was afraid of same thing in October-and she came off loving the experience. Even my Disney adverse Sis in law really enjoyed the ride (also prone to motion sickness). The glasses also fit much better on our March ride.
Okay you guys, I am in on this BTM challenge
When did the challenge start?
no lie - I totally never saw that guy until like 4 years ago
That explains why 1/2 the room doesn't look up:p

mmm violet lemonade-so good! Much prefer that over the Night Blossom drink (way to sweet for me-needs to be cut with some vodka or rum...)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I was so excited to see you! Can’t believe our luck running into each other without planning at all :) Hope y’all stayed dry out there!
It was definitely Disney magic! So fun to finally meet you and R!
no lie - I totally never saw that guy until like 4 years ago :joyfull:
I assumed everyone looks up after “There’s always my way....” :facepalm:
Awesome trip report as usual! and great pictures as well.

yeeeaaahhh-my oldest spent last fall there-she would text me when it dropped below 70degrees and say she was getting her "winter gear". She routinely had her jacket on at night...She is going back for the summer and is really looking forward to it. But when you like 8% body fat (she is 6'2" and ~145#) I guess you feel cold more often:joyfull:

You've been to Nomad before though right? My favorite hang out place in all the parks. And LOVE Satu'li Canteen-favorite is steak, potato hash with creamy herb sauce. Although the fish is good with quinoa... glad you were able to see FoP with eyes mostly open. My MiL was afraid of same thing in October-and she came off loving the experience. Even my Disney adverse Sis in law really enjoyed the ride (also prone to motion sickness). The glasses also fit much better on our March ride.

When did the challenge start?

That explains why 1/2 the room doesn't look up:p

mmm violet lemonade-so good! Much prefer that over the Night Blossom drink (way to sweet for me-needs to be cut with some vodka or rum...)
I used to live in Florida so I am familiar with “thinner” blood....but I never wore a winter coat when it was 75 degrees!
I have been to Tiffins but not Nomad Lounge.....yet.
I plan to ride FoP again. No issues wearing the glasses over my glasses either.
@Longers issued me the BTMRR challenge in jest....which one of us would get in the most rides in 2018. But I don’t want to mess with @Big Hair if he wants to participate. 😉😂
Agree, Violet Lemonade trumps the Night Blossom!

PrincessJasmyn

We decided to take a walk through Pandora first. It is quite the unusual landscape which we are learning to appreciate.

View attachment 281400

View attachment 281401

View attachment 281405

View attachment 281403

Any “fleeting” thoughts we had about riding Na’vi River Journey standby floated right away! :joyfull:
View attachment 281402
Em and I agree we would like to try NRJ again....surely it can’t be as bad as we remember?....but only if the wait is 15 minutes or less. (Which may be another 5 years from now!)

No fleeting thoughts about waiting almost 3 hours for FoP! But thankful for our FP.
View attachment 281404
how long was your wait in the FP line for FoP?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom