I think I have everything planned?

confusedone

Just wanted to get everyone's feedback on my plans. I am very eager to hear your thoughts. First of all our trip is for June 19, thru June 25. My husband and I are taking our kids, who are 2, 5, 10 and 16. We will be arriving in Orlando from Indianapolis at around 3:00, we have a rental van from the airport. We are planning on going straight to our cabin at Fort Wilderness, checking in and unpacking. We are going to go to a grocery store for supplies. My kids would like to see the ocean, but the day we arrive seems like the only time for this. Any thoughts? We were talking about going to the ocean on the night we arrive? How far would that be? The first official day we are going to AK, we have a PS breakfast at 8:40. We are planning on spending a few hours and then going back to the cabin for swimming and naps. We will return in the evening. On Tues. we are going to MK for the morning hours and then back to the cabin and then returning at night as the day before. What time is the parade at MK? Is it really worth coming back earlier? My kids are not very patient and parades are not really their thing. On Wed we are planning on going to Sea World. My sons are really looking forward to this, they love sharks and whales. How many hours do you think this will take? We are planning lunch away for Sea World and then returning. Thurs. we are going to MGM. Pretty much the same as the other days but we are planning on eating at the Pizza Planet for lunch, the boys idea. I am not planning on eating in any of the parks expect MGM. The kids were kinda interested in the parade here? Time of start? This is a maybe! Friday morning we are going to Gatorland for the boys, and the afternoon we thought we would go shopping at Downtown Disney. I am not planning anything for Sat. we will be leaving in the afternoon for our flight home. So that is it in a nutshell. This is our 1st trip and I guess I am hoping for the best. If I didn't have somthing right please let me know. Or if you have any different ideas I am open for suggestions! Thanks for letting me post and helping me be less tense about this whole trip planning thing.

GenerationX

That sounds like a fun vacation! My boys (5, 7, and 10) would love it. A couple of random thoughts based on your questions:
  • On the day we arrive, we have a tendency to be a bit tired from the travel and do whatever is closest. In your case, I'd move your Downtown Disney day to your first night.
  • My kids don't care much for parades either, so we generally skip them or watch a little as we walk somewhere else. Lines are a little shorter during parades.
  • I'd make Friday (after Gatorland) your ocean day.
  • If you haven't already, buy The Unofficial Guide to WDW by Bob Sehlinger. This book is an extremely useful trip planning tool. The more you know beforehand which attractions everyone wants to see, the less time you'll waste.
  • Take advantage of the "playgrounds" in the parks (Boneyard in AK, Tom Sawyer Island at MK). The younger kids will really love them. This also gives the older kids the chance to ride nearby thrill attractions that the younger kids can't.
  • Finally, don't expect to see everything. I like to over-plan, but under-schedule. Allow yourself plenty of time to see the attractions you really want to see and have a list of "sounds fun" attractions if you have time.
Have a great time! :wave:

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

My thoughts and suggestions:-
1) I don't know how long it will take from Indianapolis to WDW but I would suggest that due to the ages of the younger ones (2 & 5) everyone is going to be pretty tired and a further car journey (60 - 90 minutes each way) just to see the ocean is just too much today. On your day of arrival forget the ocean, have a swim and perhaps take in DownTown Disney tonight.
2) Tuesday - MK parade = 3pm and then in the evening Wishes is at 10pm. ALTHOUGH if you go to MK on Thursday you'll get to see SpectroMagic parade at 9pm before Wishes at 10pm
3) Wednesday - SeaWorld can take a few hours or you can make it into an entire day. It is not just an entertainment theme park but has educational values aswell. Learning about the Manatees, visiting the Dolphin Nursery, and then there's Shamu - take in the day AND the night shows (they're completely different). For a special treat Dine with Shamu - up close and personal with the parks main attraction (book in advance - see the website)
4) Thursday - MGM parade = 5:30pm with Fantasmic at 9pm (Swap with MK and visit MGM on Tuesday)
5) Forget Gatorland - perhaps a full morning at the beach ??
Enjoy yourselves :)

Upvote 0

DisJosh

For a 7 day trip I probably wouldn't have squished Sea World in there or a trip off property to the coast. Each of those things could easily eat up 3 quarters of your day. Theres alot to do at WDW...and for what sounds like a first time trip I would have kept the planning confined to WDW property. It's alot less confusing that way. ;)

Upvote 0

sring

If you want to see the ocean, Cocoa Beach is about an hour or so drive away, give or take. You might want to couple that with a visit to Kennedy Space Center. Dedicate a whole day for that and the beach.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

sring said:
If you want to see the ocean, Cocoa Beach is about an hour or so drive away, give or take. You might want to couple that with a visit to Kennedy Space Center. Dedicate a whole day for that and the beach.

Here's the website for Kennedy Space Center. It gives you all the ticket options and you can also do lunch there with an astronaut. http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/home/index.html We are planning on doing this for our next trip.

Upvote 0

fotofrog62

Stick to disney the first time

I have done just Disney the first two years and am glad I did. So much there you will believe the magnatude of it all. I did one year with going to sea world, universal, beach, kennedy, Ariabian Nights dinner show, plus disney. This was a marathon and was too much for the kids. That one we took a week and a half and we were beat. We are planning on going back but only disney. There is still more we have not seen at disney even at the 4th time. Anything else is been there done that don't care to do that again. Have fun and have a safe trip.

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I have done just Disney the first two years and am glad I did. So much there you will believe the magnatude of it all. I did one year with going to sea world, universal, beach, kennedy, Ariabian Nights dinner show, plus disney. This was a marathon and was too much for the kids. That one we took a week and a half and we were beat. We are planning on going back but only disney. There is still more we have not seen at disney even at the 4th time. Anything else is been there done that don't care to do that again. Have fun and have a safe trip.

I think that their trip was over about 3 years ago! :lol::wave:

Upvote 0

kstella

It will take about two hours to get to the closest ocean beach from the Orlando area. Given the ages of your kids, maybe you might want to do an ocean visit another time and stick close to Orlando area.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom